Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

very strange cat behaviour - help!

badger
June 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM
A young male cat that I have recently invited in - with the plan to eventually find another home for him - has adopted some very strange behaviours towards my own cat, who is about seven (also a stray), male, fixed, not particularly agressive but not afraid to mix it up either. The newcomer is probably 1-2 years, fairly timid around people and other cats, fixed - I THINK - how do I tell? (blushing here; I should know this) - skinny but getting healthier, spends long days sleeping on my couch, etc.

Lately, he has taken to shadowing Badger (the resident cat) and as soon as he gets the opportunity, trying to mount him, biting him on the back. The rest of the time he stays very close and cries a funny little closed-mouth cry. He WILL not leave Badger alone. Badger puts up with it up to a point (occasionally he will fight him off, but it doesn't seem to have much effect) but it is obviously making him nervous and he wanders around just looking for a place where he will be comfortable and not under constant threat. Is this a dominance thing? A sexual thing? (maybe they're the same). If I shout NO, the newcomer backs off, but returns as soon as he sees it's safe. Very strange. I'm hoping he is not neutered and that this will correct the problem. Otherwise he might just find himself legging it back to the alley.

Lucky Rescue
June 4th, 2004, 10:38 AM
It's easy to tell if a cat is neutered. Instead of having prominant testicles, there may be two teeny buttons there instead.

If this cat is very young, he may just be confused and since your cat doesn't have a strong tomcat odour, he just figures he'll take a crack at him in case he's a female. :p I had a young tom, pumped with testosterone, who tried to mount a 5 week old kitten!!

Please don't put him back out in the alley! He'd be better off dead than living the type of short,cruel life he'll have out there.

If he isn't neutered, I suggest you have it done, then keep him separated from your cat til the hormones are gone, and then reintroduce them.

badger
June 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Nah! I wouldn't throw him out, he's a sweet fellow, just a bit THICK.

Lucky Rescue
June 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM
just a bit THICK.

LOL! So many toms are thick, but usually so sweet, lovable and goofy you can overlook it.:p