Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Airplane + dog = anxiety...help please

tadashi
December 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
So I leave on wednesday for vermont, its a 5 hour flight. My fiance and I are bringing along our little elsa.

my huge concern is that we CANNOT find a bag that will fit our dog that is in compliance. We are traveling JetBlue and the dog bag requirements are 17l x 12.5w x 8h, the only bag we could find that fits her is 16l x 10w x 10h. so the problem is that its 2" too tall. The airline says they sell carriers but according to their website its something that is far too small for our little dog. Elsa is part dachsund so she is a little longer than the average chihuahua.

I called the airlines help line and I asked them about this problem i have. the lady kindly said that if it's a soft-sided bag (the bag is a Sherpa) that there shouldnt be a problem because it can collapse down a little, but she said she can't guarantee that the person checking luggage will share the same idea. The airport we are flying out of is an hour and half from our home.
Has anyone had any experience with this issue? if they don't let her on I realllly don't know what we will have to do. help somebody

jiorji
December 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
WOAH!!! if your dog is getting checked i would NOT put her in a BAG!! i'd get a plastic cage! for a dog that small, I'd also ask to take it in the cabin.

Some airlines let you take pets on board if they fit under the seat. And in a bag it would probably fit.

but get a cage if you plan on sending your dog with other luggage suitcases!

BabyJessy
December 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I guess this is a very late reply, so I hope everything went well. But for others who might consider traveling with their pet:

If the airport is not too far from where you live, why don't you go there with the carrier (and dog, since she or he will have to get used to that carrier anyway) and ask the airline counter people if it would be OK for the trip. Hopefully they will say yes. Make sure you memorize their names (usually on badges) and write down immediately afterwards. At least when you go back for the real trip, if you get an unkind clerk you can say that Mrs. XXXXXX and Mr. XXXXX who were at the counter on December XX told you the carrier was fine. It will be hard for them to refuse if other employees told you it was OK. Ha!

However, if during the test run the clerks say "no" then chances are not good that others will say yes on the day of travel. You might want to either find a pet-sitter or cancel the trip.

If you live too far from the airport to do this, I suggest calling the actual airline desk at the airport and asking the question. Maybe you could even ask to have it all verified with a supervisor and ALWAYS keep note of the names!!!! Very important!!!

:thumbs up

tadashi
December 18th, 2007, 01:28 AM
WOAH!!! if your dog is getting checked i would NOT put her in a BAG!! i'd get a plastic cage! for a dog that small, I'd also ask to take it in the cabin.

Some airlines let you take pets on board if they fit under the seat. And in a bag it would probably fit.

but get a cage if you plan on sending your dog with other luggage suitcases!

um no she is going under the seat, thus the reason there is a restriction on the size of the bag.