Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Um...well I'm 99.99% sure Kiska is in heat

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
She's been meowing and cooing almost non-stop. She's writhing all over the floor, and perhaps the most disturbing thing, Maks twice now has tried to mount her. I got him away from her, but I don't know what to do!

He's 4 months old too, can he even get her pregnant?

Oy, I don't know what to do! I may have to keep her in the bathroom and just move the big box out into the bedroom and put the smaller box in the bathroom for her. But what do I do tonight? I may have to put her in the big carrier.

AAAHHH!!!!

Great, just great. I can't move my appointment up, because they are already booked because of the holidays. And I just called the vet's office and they said she could be in heat up to two weeks.

Oy!:wall:

jiorji
December 16th, 2007, 07:52 PM
He's 4 months old too, can he even get her pregnant?

yes.

just keep them sepparated and book your vet appointment asap. I had to deal with 2 weeks of cat in heat. :eek: ACK!! i feel sorry for you!:yell:

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately, I have to wait. They told me she had to be out of her heat before they would spay her. If she does last two weeks, it will be about the time of her surgery when she'll have finished. Hopefully, she'll be over this in a few days:fingerscr

Right now I have her in the big carrier. tomorrow, I'll put her in the bathroom and bring the big litter box out into the bedroom, and bring the smaller box from downstairs and put it in the bathroom with her. It's the only place I can keep her that has any room for her to at least play.

I feel terrible keeping her so isolated, but I can't have her get pregnant! She's just a baby! And I really feel bad for Maks, because they like to cuddle together while they sleep.

I can let her out when I get home. I'll just keep a watch of her. They are all in my sight when I'm home, and so I'll just be sure to keep an extra eye on her and Maks. I don't want her to get pregnant, but I also don't want to keep her locked up in that carrier or in the bathroom constantly for the next two weeks.

Crap, now that I think about it. They were both out of my sight for about 20 minutes today. :censored:

jiorji
December 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately, I have to wait. They told me she had to be out of her heat before they would spay her.
NO WAY!! you sure??try a different vet

my cat got spayed during her heat. I couldn't handle seeing her in that condition and in a small apartment it's not fun to deal with that either.

Plus...you have a male. When they're in heat, cats will do ANYTHING to escape.

ANd i KNOW that you're very responsible with this and obviously are taking extreme measures to separate them, but things happen...and it would make things easier for you to spay her now too

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I'm going to call tomorrow. I talked to the night crew and I'm going to request their vet give me a call. She'll be able to give me more accurate information and I may be able to get an appointment this week. I was going to have her and Maks done at the same time, but if I have to do them separately so be it.

Dracko
December 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
If they can't do her cuz she's in heat, what if they just did Maks until she was done? That way although she is annoying she can't get pregnant.

And, wow, 4 months seems really young to be in heat. My 6 months old are due to get fixed (been delaying it :o) and I've seen nothing. Fortunately they are both girls so no pregnancy worries if one should go in to heat.

jiorji
December 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
If they can't do her cuz she's in heat, what if they just did Maks until she was done? That way although she is annoying she can't get pregnant.

oh yeah great idea :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
omg , this must be so annoying ! Explain the situation to your vet , maybe he'll make room , neutering a cat is faster than the anasthesia , so it doesn't take long ....

rainbow
December 17th, 2007, 01:28 AM
They should be able to fit Maks in to get neutered. :fingerscr

rainbow
December 17th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Crap, now that I think about it. They were both out of my sight for about 20 minutes today. :censored:

Uh-oh .....ummm I think Kiska is most likely pregnant. :eek: I would make sure to tell your vet this as they can cancel appointments when there is an emergency. :o

Love4himies
December 17th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Yes, I have heard of cats going into heat at 4 months. Wonder of Maks is mature enough to get her pregnant?

Spaying during heat is much more riskier due the increased bleeding. I would try to have Maks done and wait until she is out of heat, wouldn't risk it if she was my furbaby.

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I'm definitely going to talk to her today.

I've had a heck of a time just trying to shut the door of the bathroom once I let her lose in there. They all wanted to go in!

I've got her in my bathroom, its roomier than the one downstairs. She's all set up with litter box, water and food and a comfy place to lay down. They're all sitting in front of the door. I've moved the other box out into my room.

I'll ask the vet what she thinks about them getting out of my sight. Then I'll see if I can get Maks neutered, or both of them done, or something.

I'm just floored. I knew the minute I turned around and saw Maks try to get it on with her she had to be in heat.

I have to say, it was a little disturbing, I mean they are brother and sister, but at the same time, now this sounds weird, it was cute. Because they clearly didn't know what they were doing. I saw Maks standing over her, and him try to bite her little ear, and she was like "Is this right?" She kept backing into him.

After I picked my tongue up from the floor, I immediately picked up Maks and got him away from her and got the big carrier out.

Oh boy, this is going to be an interesting week.

14+kitties
December 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I would think at 4 months old that they are not sexually mature enough to "get it on" in the true sense of the word. It would be highly unlikely for her to be pregnant. IF she is I would also think it unlikely she would ever be able to carry kittens at that young age. My vet told us that even if the female were pregnant when they were fixed chances are he would not even notice because the pregnancy would not be advanced enough and basically there would be an abortion at that point. If your appt is for 2 weeks from now I would just leave it and go from there. You could talk to your vet about it and even take Kiska in to see her but I don't think there is a need to change the appts you already have set up. Just my opinion. :o

chico2
December 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Ancientgirl,if I were you,I would have Maks done as soon as the vet has time,just to be sure and not risk any complications with Kiska.
I think 14+kittens is right,she should know:cat:but I would still have Maks neutered to be 100%sure,if at all possible.

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I just called the vet's office and left a message to have their vet call me. Hopefully she'll call me soon and I can get some answers and suggestions from her on what to do. It would be easier to get Maks done. Really either one of them at this point would be ideal, since then I could at least take Kiska out of confinement.

I'll also ask her about what you said 14+kitties. It may be that I don't have to worry about her if she is pregnant, since she's getting spayed in two weeks. If that's the case I can probably release her.

rjesak
December 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I think there's a very good chance that Kiska is already pregnant. This exact same thing happened to me with Anya and Zender. She went into heat at four months. I got her to the vet one week later (what a terrible seven days - it can be awful to watch) and when they spayed her, they also, um, well, lets just say she HAD been pregnant but wasn't anymore. The only cat that could have impregnated her was her brother since all of my other cats were fixed.

The biggest problem with this happening is that from then on, Oscar tries to mount her on a pretty regular basis. I think because she went into heat once, he remembers it. She sleeps between my legs at night so Oscar and I argue about this propensity of his a lot!!! Anyway, she loves her Oscar so it only gets to be a problem occasionally, but still, I really wish she hadn't gone into heat so early! It's like she knew because she and her brother both had appointments to be fixed in four weeks - needless to say THAT got moved up!!!

If the worst case is true and Kiska is preggers, I can tell you from experience that I don't think Anya suffered a moments concern about her terminated pregnancy - I'm quite sure that she suffered way less than if the pregnancy had continued!

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Let me tell you, I do not want to A. add to the pet over population and B. put little Kiska through a pregnancy.

If she's already pregnant and I can't get the appointment moved up for either of them, and the vet says it won't be detrimental to her to have her running around lose, then I'll allow her out of the bathroom.

I'll just a watch of her and Maks and when I see him try anything just get him away from her.

I know the poor thing has no clue what's happening to her other than she needs some kind of relief, and Maks is just as clueless as she is.

I've said it before about Oksana, I would love to have had kittens from her and Vlad, but I could never have put her through a pregnancy. She's too petite, and if Oksana is petite, Kiska is positively tiny.

rjesak
December 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I often think that Storm would've had the prettiest little cats but, while I was growing up, we had some friends who let one of their cats breed (they didn't even breed her, they just let her out whenever she wanted and never got her fixed)... anyway, she lived to the ripe old age of ten and died looking like she was about twenty. She was a pretty little thing and had pretty little cats but she practically populated the earth - I can't even remember the number of litters she had!

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
It's a rough thing to go through for a small animal. Oksana isn't a big cat. She weighs about 8 pounds right now and Vlad is visibly larger than her. Kiska weighs all of 3 pounds!

I can't understand people who just mindlessly allow their pets to roam around and not think about their health like that.

Love4himies
December 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I've said it before about Oksana, I would love to have had kittens from her and Vlad, but I could never have put her through a pregnancy. She's too petite, and if Oksana is petite, Kiska is positively tiny.

If you want to have kittens, but don't want to contribute, you can contact your local shelter and foster a pregnant momma and her kittens. It is a wonderful experience, except at the end when you have to give them up, I bawl, but watching them grow and learn from their momma is great experience.

Love4himies
December 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Kiska weighs all of 3 pounds!

:eek: only 3 lbs, she would never be able to handle a pregnancy. You are doing the right thing, ancientgirl.

Love4himies
December 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I often think that Storm would've had the prettiest little cats but, while I was growing up, we had some friends who let one of their cats breed (they didn't even breed her, they just let her out whenever she wanted and never got her fixed)... anyway, she lived to the ripe old age of ten and died looking like she was about twenty. She was a pretty little thing and had pretty little cats but she practically populated the earth - I can't even remember the number of litters she had!

The foster momma I had (now my fur baby, Sweet Pea) looked so haggared and exhausted when she had her kittens. My heart would just bleed for her. She is spayed and enjoying a pampered life now.

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
That's one of the reasons why my stray kitty has touched my heart. I have a feeling she's a young cat, she looks young at least. I can't do much for the other strays around, I just don't have the room. But I can try to help her and get her spayed so she can also enjoy a pampered life.

Love4himies, when you pick up Kiska, its like your picking up air. When I pet her, as gentle as I am, she sways, because she's just so small, if the wind blew it would knock her over. As many problems as he's had, Maks is a much bigger kitty than her and stronger.

chico2
December 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Aww poor little girl,I hope this gets sorted out,so she can be back with her brother:pray:

Kristin7
December 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
:eek: oh my, sounds like you have a handful right now to deal with! I can't imagine having to listen to a cat in heat for 2 weeks... She is so young, too, I hope you are able to get her fixed with no problems. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I talked to the vet today. We're having Maks fixed on Friday, and Kiska we'll keep her original appointment for the 28th.

The vet told me that I could let them socialize with each other. That if anything happened, she's being spayed soon and there is a strong possibility she's not pregnant if they've done anything. Either way, once she's spayed, if she is pregnant it will be terminated.

I was going to take Maks tomorrow, but then she called me back and said she wanted to do it herself. she's their usual vet anyway and she didn't want anyone else touching her babies. I feel more comfortable with her anyway, so if I have to wait a few extra days then so be it, it won't harm them.

TeriM
December 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I honestly would keep them apart for now. It is only a few days and might save you a lot of ongoing aggravation. I think that biology is pretty strong and once Maks gets "that lovin feelin" it may be a bit of an ongoing issue from then on with him trying to mount her (even once he is neutered). I believe they can still get erections even if they have been neutered. It might also cause some issues with Vlad as well if Maks tries to establish himself as the "male" of the house.

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I kept them apart today. I put the litter box from downstairs up in the bathroom for Kiska. And I put the big one outside in my room for the other three.

I came home to pee outside the furniture where I usually keep the litter box downstairs. The box upstairs was used, but there was a ton of litter on the floor. My slippers were chewed all up AND there was food and water all over the kitchen.

The place was a shambles! I've never had so many things just all messed up.

They were all acting odd and wound up. As soon as I let Kiska out everything was back to normal.

I don't know what happened, but I think I'm just going to allow her to roam free tomorrow.

I realize it may be an issue later but I'll have to deal with that when the time comes. I can't come home to pee every day and lord knows what they will destroy next. They showed their displeasure at being apart from Kiska, they showed it big time.

As for establishing dominence. Maks has been trying for a couple of weeks, to dominate Oksana, and now and then he'll try to get into it with Vlad. Oksana let's him have it, and Vlad knocks him back with one paw. Now when he is near Vlad he goes into a submission position and when they fight, Maks submits, so I can't see him trying to get over on Vlad in the future.

14+kitties
December 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Wow!! What a pleasure that must have been to walk into after a day of work!! ;) They most definetely were showing you their displeasure. Like the vet said, let them be together. 2 weeks isn't going to change anything.
Btw, I get to clean up after my party animals every time I go into their catuary. I guess with this many kittys they just gotta party!! No pee thank you very much. They are good at using the boxes and the great outdoors. Just toys and blankets and food all over!!
Gotta love em!!

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM
OMG, and what a day I had a work. I felt like crying. But I know it wasn't their fault. They all just wanted to hang with each other and this was their way of showing it. But really, couldn't they have just left me a note?:frustrated:

I really didn't mind everything else, it's the pee that really made me want to break out the kleenex.

krdahmer
December 17th, 2007, 11:41 PM
OMG.. pee makes you cry too... I take it so personally when they pee where they aren't supposed to! I cry and mop... cry and lysol... cry and mop again! :o

As for the 'friskies'... don't be alarmed if having them neutered and spayed doesn't remedy the urges and behaviour... certainly didn't work for Fagan and poor violated Asker. If I catch it I stop it, but who knows when I'm not here.:frustrated::shrug:

And as for the uproar... just give it time, one in heat, and you trying to arrange them for their own good probably just has them stressed cause they don't understand. I'm sure after you have your time off, they have their s/n's, and Czarina settles in, you'll have a little more time to breath in between all the excitement!

ancientgirl
December 18th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I take it personally. It's not like they don't have clean litter boxes. But in all fairness, I had taken that downstairs litter box upstairs and put it in the bathroom with Kiska, so whoever did it might have been confused. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I just can't wait until all of this gets done. This final week is going to be eternal. But Maks is getting neutered on Friday, then starts my time off. Czarina goes to the vet on the 27th and gets checked.:pray: Then the next day I take Kiska in.

I don't go back in to work until I think the 2nd of January, so that gives me some time to get things settled. I'm really going to need my anxiety meds these next two weeks!

chico2
December 18th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Ancientgirl,it's quiet possible,the cats got in to a frenzy listening to Kiska in heat,hence the pee and mess.
We had a female walking around one summer,making that terrible in-heat sound and my 3 boys went bananas,they are all neutered.
In my kitty-household,all it takes is one cat beeing upset and the rest will follow:yell:
I think you have to prepare yourself for a bit of trouble,first after Maks neuter,then Kiskas spay and the new kitty Czarina after that,but it will all be worth it.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
December 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, this is going to be a stressful two weeks. The good thing is at least I have next week off, so I can be home more and watch them.

I'm just praying there is no pee anywhere. I can deal with almost anything else, except pee where its not supposed to be.

Thank goodness, my doctor just changed my medication. Hopefully that will help me with the stress.

Winston
December 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Ancientgirl! All will go fine! You have time off and that is great! You already know it is going to be a tough week or so , so just go with it! You can! You did when you brought Maks and Kiska home..and I am sure you will be just as good when Czarina comes home....I am going to bet that by the end of Jan you will have 5 happy kittys running around being best buddies!

Have you been seeing her still? I hope she is staying close so! Maks will be fine as well..a neuter is much easier I think than a spay?

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Ancientgirl! All will go fine! You have time off and that is great! You already know it is going to be a tough week or so , so just go with it! You can! You did when you brought Maks and Kiska home..and I am sure you will be just as good when Czarina comes home....I am going to bet that by the end of Jan you will have 5 happy kittys running around being best buddies!

Have you been seeing her still? I hope she is staying close so! Maks will be fine as well..a neuter is much easier I think than a spay?

Cindy

Thanks for the support. I need as much as possible. Maks and Kiska's introductions went so well. I'm hoping Czarina's goes well too. But mainly, I hope she's healthy. If she has FIV I don't think I'll be able to take her in.

I have been seeing her. I see her every morning. She meows when she sees me, but you can barely hear it. She also allowed me to pick her a few times now, so I think she's got a good bit of trust in me. Hopefully this will make it easier for me to place her in the big carrier I have and not stress her out too much.

I'm also going to get some revolution from the vet when I take Maks in so that I can apply it to her. At least she'll have that working on her before I take her in.