Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog runs out of the apartment when we open the door to leave

TinaMcq
December 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
My dog Skipper a cocker spaniel mix (we don't know the other mix), will run out of the apartment inbetween our legs our around our legs when we open the door to leave or come in. How do I stop this from happening?

CearaQC
December 16th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Try working on sit/stay commands inside for a while. Then longer stays. And even longer stays where you leave the room for a short time and the dog better still be in same position when you return, and not follow you. Gradually increase the time you're away to like 15 minutes or so.

Then train to stand back from doors and give you room and that it's not OK to go ahead of you and to wait for the OK to move forward. Try to think of as many combinations of situations you can think of. Roleplay when you're not actually leaving or opening the door for whatever reason and prepare the dog for all sorts of things. Ring doorbell, have friends stop by on purpose, get people to knock on the door, and pretend you're going out.

Use a light leash inside while training. Or keep the dog attached to you all the time when you're inside until you're 100% sure the dog won't run through the door again.

allymack
December 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
i think you should try some patience sits, start out with about 1 minutes and do it everyday twice a day, (i mean who doesnt have literally 2 mins to spare a day) and just have her sit there, dont give any command just put her in the sitting position and if she gets up just put her back in the same spot in a sit, and the next week add 1 minute on for it will be 2 minutes twice a day. this will help her feel like she can just sit around and not have to run away ( like when your leaving) also when you are coming in, step at her, make sure she gives you your space to get in this may take a while but just step at her and stare at her, untill she backs up. hope this helps:)