Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What happened? Housetraining seems to have been forgotten.

twruble
December 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM
We have a 7mth old Chi who was trained to go pee downstairs on the newspaper as well as go outside. He was a quick learner and had absolutely no accidents. It was even safe to bring him to other houses as all we would have to do was put down a sheet of newspaper and show him where it was.

6 weeks ago we brought home another pup who susbsequently had housetrainig issues and was/is much harder to train. We had hoped perhaps that Eddie would be able to teach him the ways of the household per se but instead it seems that Eddie has instead regressed. I now have two pups here who think that they can pee wherever they want and need some help.

Is the problem that they are both males? They get along very well and are happy with each other for the most part. I could understand the peeing as a bit of a dominance issue however they are pooping every where as well.

Where do I start?

allymack
December 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
i think you should work a bit harder(not to say that you arent working hard, becasue you must be, espically with a new pup) with the new pup because she doesn't really know what is expected of her yet, and she stops peeing every wheres i expect your other dog will go back to using the newspaper/ outside so just keep working with the new pup, and also do what ever you did before with older dog. i hope this helps a bit:)

Longblades
December 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM
It might also be that your Chi is entering his terrible teenage years when all kinds of well learned lessons can be seemingly forgotten. Either way, patience, consistency and kindness should help get you through it.

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
It might also be that your Chi is entering his terrible teenage years when all kinds of well learned lessons can be seemingly forgotten. Either way, patience, consistency and kindness should help get you through it.

I agree with this, 100%! Research adolecent dog/puppy behavior, even on this board there are several threads of simular teenage behavior. They seem to lose their marbles at this age, you need to go back to basics with both dogs and work extra hard to reinforce your leadership and manners. This is the time where they push for position in your "pack", especially now that you have 2 males, both of which are still developing.

Be patient, be consistant and go back to square one. Now is the time for YOU to show both dogs what is expected of them. Many of us here understand how frustrating this stage is - trust me!!! But before you know it - a light will come on and your little devil dogs will be angels again.

Socialization and training are very important right now!! Keep us posted!

twruble
December 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM
yes, I must admit that I am frustrated. Especially with the older one as he "knows better". Pointed out a nice pile of little poops underneath the Christmas Tree to him and he ran away only to cover his eyes with his paws. He knows that what he is doing is wrong so the terrible teens might just ring true right now.

I am starting to think that they have far to much free range in the house. Double trouble per se. My own fault most likely so I will start setting down some rules again. Maybe it is time to pull out the playpen and start from square one. :confused:

Ford Girl
December 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
yes, I must admit that I am frustrated. Especially with the older one as he "knows better". Pointed out a nice pile of little poops underneath the Christmas Tree to him and he ran away only to cover his eyes with his paws. He knows that what he is doing is wrong so the terrible teens might just ring true right now.

I am starting to think that they have far to much free range in the house. Double trouble per se. My own fault most likely so I will start setting down some rules again. Maybe it is time to pull out the playpen and start from square one. :confused:

Great idea, start confining them when you can't watch them closely, block them in a room or xpen or play pen, it's safe for them and gives you a piece of mind. But you still need to work on the behavior. If you research house training there are keys times to take them outside, how to encourage and reward the bahavior, and does and don'ts. Start from square one.

I agree they know what they are doing at that age, my Dazy peed on my bed at 7 months old while she stared at me. Then ran under the desk and hide behind my husband. She knew for sure. However, we can't assume they are spiteful little devils, we need to show them that it's not ok and what we expect of them. Start with square one, make no assumption that the older one knows. He's pushing your buttons cuz that's what they do at that age. You will get thru this, and then look back and OMG, I will never get another puppy!!! hahah!