Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What Kitty Litter Brand

holmern
December 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hi

We have 2 himalayans and until we got the second one we never had any odor problems. Now with the addition of a big male cat the litter stinks pretty much ALL the time.. And yes.. we do scoop out the mess in the litter pretty much every day. Have tried "Tidy Cats" and "The Best Litter In the World" or something like that.. with no success.

I know you are supposed to empty and change the litter more often with more cats, but I doubt thats the problem. The odor is pretty much the same if the litter is a day old or a week old.

Any suggestions?

sugarcatmom
December 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM
And yes.. we do scoop out the mess in the litter pretty much every day.

Any suggestions?

My first suggestion is to get more litter boxes. With 2 cats, you really should have 3 boxes.

My second suggestion is that it would be best if you were to scoop out the boxes twice a day. It doesn't take anymore time than doing it once a day because you're still dealing with the same amount of stuff, just splitting it up.

As for what litter to use, I have great success with a combo of Yesterday's News and ExquisiCat Pine pellets, but not all cats will like the texture of the pellets. You could experiment with a couple of different brands in different litter boxes and see what they like and what works best for you. Try sprinkling baking soda on the bottom of the box, too.

CearaQC
December 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I buy plain 'ol bentonite clay kitty litter, non-scented, and non-scoopable. Litter never stinks, but then again I only have one cat, who doesn't even use the box in non-winter months and instead asks to go outside to do his business. I have no clue where he goes. 'Tis a mystery! :laughing:

I think a lot of the kitty litter they sell is just a bunch of hype to get people to buy more stuff for their pets.

The newest thing is scooping litter that turns blue from urine. Joy. :shrug:

But yeah there should be one box per kitty.

krdahmer
December 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I use Sswheat scoop, it is great.... with 6 cats I always get comments about how you would never know it because my house doesn't have that 'smell'... I scoop it only once a day and the clumps usually have almost a bread smell... much better than ammonia and clay IMO. With two you do need at least 2 boxes, and be scooping every day at least once to stay ahead. Best of luck with your stinkers! ;) :D

sugarcatmom
December 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I buy plain 'ol bentonite clay kitty litter, non-scented, and non-scoopable.

My issues with clay litter are that 1) it's very environmentally UN-friendly since it's extracted by strip-mining and is not biodegradable, and 2) tends to be the dustiest of all the litters, which isn't good for the kitties that have to breath it in.

It's funny that you say your cat goes to the bathroom outside when it's warm because my cat actually comes inside to go, even though he has access to an enormous, freshly tilled garden to poop in if he wants. Seriously, he likes his litter box THAT much!

CearaQC
December 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
My issues with clay litter are that 1) it's very environmentally UN-friendly since it's extracted by strip-mining and is not biodegradable, and 2) tends to be the dustiest of all the litters, which isn't good for the kitties that have to breath it in.

It's the only kind he likes. He refuses the box if I use anything but plain, unscented. :shrug: He doesn't dig anyway to stir up powder. Just walks in, deposits and leaves - no covering up.

Didn't know Bentonite was strip-mined. :sad:

rainbow
December 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM
It's the only kind he likes. He refuses the box if I use anything but plain, unscented. :shrug: He doesn't dig anyway to stir up powder. Just walks in, deposits and leaves - no covering up.

Didn't know Bentonite was strip-mined. :sad:

My cats only like the clay litter too but I use the scoopable one. And I find the Special Kitty (one of the cheaper brands :o) one of the best. :shrug:

The newest thing is scooping litter that turns blue from urine. Joy. :shrug:

OMG ....we'll be seeing a rainbow of colours next. :rolleyes:

Boubou
December 17th, 2007, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;515486]My first suggestion is to get more litter boxes. With 2 cats, you really should have 3 boxes.
:eek::eek:

Holy cow!! I have seven cats and only ONE litter box. OK, it's a jumbo one, and I scoop 3-4 times daily, but I couldn't imagine having more than one litter box per cat!

I use the clumping litter from Costco and have no problems with the odor. But like I said, I scoop ALOT...

clm
December 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM
[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;515486]My first suggestion is to get more litter boxes. With 2 cats, you really should have 3 boxes.
:eek::eek:

Holy cow!! I have seven cats and only ONE litter box. OK, it's a jumbo one, and I scoop 3-4 times daily, but I couldn't imagine having more than one litter box per cat!

I use the clumping litter from Costco and have no problems with the odor. But like I said, I scoop ALOT...

I don't know how you get by with one litter box for 7 cats....I have one per cat. 3 indoor cats, 3 boxes. One litter box and I'd have them using other areas in the house instead of the box, no matter how much I scooped. :shrug:

I use the Max Cat Multi cat formula cat litter. I don't use the clumping kind, always afraid of them ingesting it which can be very dangerous.

Cindy

Love4himies
December 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I have one litter box per cat and use Max Scoop, mult cat formula, two are covered, one is not. Puddles and Jasper also use the outside to go to the bathroom. My husband put sand under the deck for them (huge deck, 40 x 12).

rjesak
December 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Ok, I admit I don't have one litter box per cat with six cats but I have three REALLY huge ones. I can't begin to imagine how one would be sufficient. The three I have fill up quickly with that many cats! I scoop them twice a day - it really is easier to scoop them more often. Since there's less stuff, it makes scooping a breeze.

Sugarcatmom, I currently use fresh step scoopable. I've been concerned about this for exactly the reasons you mentioned but I live in a very environmentally unfriendly area - we don't even have recycling facilites - I have to take my stuff over 30 minutes away to have it recycled. It's difficult to find alternatives - even organic foods are hard to come by. Here's my question though, I tried the pine pellets but my cats hated it. Any other suggestions?

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have two boxes, one big one in my bathroom which gets most of the action, and a smaller one downstairs.

I have 4 cats. I scoop in the morning and in the evening. I use Swheat Scoop and have found it's by far the best as far as keeping odors at bay.

I've tried Tidy Cat, Fresh Step, Worlds best litter, and Feline Pine. I still get some tracking, but I don't mind since I've not had an issue with anyone telling me my cat smells like a litter box since I began using the Swheat Scoop.

You can flush it down the toilet because it's a natural product. It has no chemicals, so if you have a sick kitty or if they have just been S/N it won't harm them. No dust either. And the clumps are hard, once you allow them to harden.

sugarcatmom
December 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Sugarcatmom, I currently use fresh step scoopable. I've been concerned about this for exactly the reasons you mentioned but I live in a very environmentally unfriendly area - we don't even have recycling facilites - I have to take my stuff over 30 minutes away to have it recycled. It's difficult to find alternatives - even organic foods are hard to come by. Here's my question though, I tried the pine pellets but my cats hated it. Any other suggestions?

Well, you can only play with the cards you are dealt. Not a lot of cats like the pine pellets because of the texture, but maybe they'd be okay with the Feline Pine (http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html) sawdust (if you can find it - I know PetSmart stocks it).

Here are some other possible options, depending on how available they are to you:

Feline Pine (http://www.naturesearth.com/) Made of reclaimed pine dust from lumber yards. Degradable. The company says the product is flushable but labels the product with a warning about T. gondii transmission.**

World's Best Cat Litter (http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/) Degradable and flushable. Made from corn.

Yesterday's News (http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/?D=542492&T=4186804) Made from recycled newspaper -- the company says a "significant portion" of that is post-consumer, and also says that "most" publishers today use safe inks, and their manufacturing process neutralizes all ink residues. Degradable but not flushable. (This is also in pellet form, but you can get a softer texture than what the pine pellets are).

SWheat Scoop (http://www.swheatscoop.com/) Made from wheat. Degradable, and claims to be "the only litter on the market that's certified flushable in sewer or septic systems by the SGS U.S. Testing Company."

Green Tea Leaves Litter (http://www.nextgenpet.com/products.html) Made of pre-consumer manufacturing waste, this litter contains just wood dust and green tea. It clumps, it controls odor, and it's degradable and flushable.

The above was taken from this 2 part article in the San Francisco Gate on the environmental impact of pets:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/11/13/petscol.DTL
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/11/27/petscol.DTL

I also just heard about this new litter made from perlite and vermiculite, called Perfect Litter, by Pet Ecology (http://www.petecology.com/index.html). You can fill out this form (https://www.perfectlitter.com/free.asp) for a free bag (US residents only).

**A word about flushing cat poop: if you read the above articles, there is concern about cats with the toxoplasma gondii parasite (which half of all cats have) and the fact that this parasite isn't killed in the water treatment process. Sea otters off the coast of California are getting sick and dying of toxoplasmosis when it washes into the ocean.

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I just ordered the free 2 week supply of the Pet Ecology. Looks like you can only order by mail, but if it works and is reasonably priced and the gang likes it, I'll give it a try.

rjesak
December 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I also ordered the Pet Ecology. It's worth a try. It also appears (from the website) that Target might stock the Swheat Scoop. Wouldn't that be awesome???

Thanks so much for the links. This is really helpful!

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Target does carry Swheat Scoop, I get mine there sometimes. I actually got some this weekend and it was a special box, that gave you a little more than usual. The price is good too and its nice to know that you don't have to make a special trip to the pet store to get it.

rjesak
December 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM
That's awesome. Target sells my ecologically friendly cleaners (Method) too so I'm there regularly. Ooh yay.

SARAH
December 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I don't remember the name of mine, and the store I got it from is closed too, so I'm hoping I can find the same somewhere else because it's handy and the cats like it. It's pine-saw-dust, flushable! Just place the litterbox next to the WC, the cats use it, I scoop, plop and flush :) of course, I do have to scrub the color build-up from the sawdust off the toilet ... oh well.

And no smell btw.

I have two litter boxes, one upstairs and one downstairs, but the upstairs one is almost always empty.

rjesak
December 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
You know, my cats are like that too. They have a definite box preference. There is a downstairs one that is always two to three times as full as the other downstairs one and the upstairs one usually only has three or four clumps a week.

I've never been able to figure it out - why they like one more than the other. For a while I had a covered one and they strongly preferred the other two but now none of them are covered so I'm not sure what the difference is. It must just be location...

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have one upstairs and one downstairs. When I moved into my place, I thought the downstairs was the one that would get the most usage. Nope. The one upstairs is the one that's used the most by all of them.

SARAH
December 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM
My theory, is that the downstairs one is more out of the way, more private. Upstairs, we have living/ dining/ kitchen, bedroom, office, our bathroom, downstairs is just the TV room and "their" bathroom, the gym is closed off, I dont' want them to have an accident with the weights falling on them. Maybe that's it, because otherwise I see no difference.

But yes, cats do feel the magnetic earth forces that we don't, so maybe one is in a better magnetic location than the other?

Kristin7
December 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
My cats really like Ssweat scoop. I tried once to switch them to the World's Best Cat litter brand but they hated it. It seemed to start stinking more quickly than the Ssweat scoop and then they would go outside the box. So, I switched back! Since the OP's cat's urine is so stinky, though, is it possible this is a sign of illness? Perhaps a vet visit is in order. Is the cat neutered? If not, neutering should help reduce the stink.

Regarding where to put the boxes, not sure if magnestism has much to do with it... i suppose anything is possible though. However, I have figured out why one of mine likes the box in certain spots/positions over others. My other cat stalks her and I know now that she likes to be able to see where the other cat might be lurking while she uses the covered box. If I face the entryway of the box so that it has a good view, she will use it and if I don't she will not. If your house has a similar situation with multiple cats, that may be something to consider. Sometimes all you have to do is shift the box 90 degrees and they like it better.

kiara
December 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I am in Quebec and I go to Mondou pet food store and I buy Mondou's own line of litter. I have 2 female cats and I use only one litter box. But I put newspapers under the litter to make it easier to clean, it also absorbs urine well. I also put baking soda under the litter and also on top to keep the odor down. You can also buy litter with baking soda in it. Or buy the scented kind, it should keep the odor down. You could ask your vet if maybe your cat has a health problem? (urinary?) Is this male fixed? If not maybe fixing might help.

sugarcatmom
December 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Or buy the scented kind, it should keep the odor down.

Please do not buy scented litter. It does not "keep the odor down", it merely adds perfume on top of the stinkiness.

Always use unscented litters and do not add any deodorizers to the litter or around the litter box. Cats, because of their extremely keen sense of smell, are often put off by scented litters and perfumed environments. In addition, they do not need to be grooming perfume chemicals from their coat. There is absolutely NO need for special perfumes or additives if a cat box is maintained correctly. The best way to keep the box odor free is to clean it! Odors should be removed, not attempts made to cover them up.

http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I agree. Not to mention, when Vlad was younger, he took to eating his litter. With what I use now, Swheat Scoop, I don't have to worry as much since its natural and made from wheat.

I think I actually smell the litter more than people who come into my home. I've told all my family and friends, to always tell me when they walk in if the place smells "odd". It doesn't. My brother came by this weekend, after I'd finished changing the litter. I could have sworn the place smelled slightly like a used litter box, but my brother and nephew assured me it didn't, that it smelled fine.

LOL, I guess I'm so used to the bad smell I think it always smells like that. But if you clean your box daily, even twice daily if you can manage you should have no problem. You don't need fancy perfumes or chemicals in your cats litter.