Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Kitten

Klurik
December 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Well, we got our new kitten. a lilac lynx point. Male. We just brought him home last night and our ten month old feale is not a happy cat. How long does it usually take for a cat to adjust to another?
tips or tricks?

Winston
December 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Grab some baby powder...rub some on your hands...then go and give each one a rub a couple of times...you want them to smell the same...some people have used vanilla I think under their chins as well...it may not be instant but it should calm things down..

Welcome ! would love to see kitten pics!

Cindy

SARAH
December 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Two weeks ago,Spoutnik came fromthe SPCA, 6 weeks old. He was greeted with a hiss from Misti, several loud barks from Sheba and some sharp barks from Dani, which had him spit and hiss himself (which was more funny than scary).

This was on Friday night.

Saturday morning, after having left him to sleep alone in a spare room, he made friends with Dani who is an easy-going 2-year old dog. Misti ignored him, but walked into the room where he was with her belly almost touching the ground and hugely open eyes :) Sheba kept barking and growling. Lewis was almost ready to return the kitten to the SPCA :eek:

Sunday, after yet another night alone in his room, Spoutnik somehow got his backside to Sheba, who recognized the baby-smell from that end that she hadn't recognized from the front end (dogs!) and that was the end of the barking.

Misti, since it's your cat you're asking about, was still sceptical. What was this little furry thing doing in HER house!? We placed a couple of large paper shopping bags on the floor, a toy Misit adored when she was 5 months old last year and we just got her from a shelter. It got her playing again, and Spoutnik had to copy by getting into his bag! They looked at eachother from the inside of their respective bags, suddenly darting out to slap at the other bag, or jump on it even.

Of course, Spoutnik managed to get sick the next day, had to be bottle fed and nursed back to life, was in great shape over the weekend (considering) and played with the other three, then caught a cold the following Monday :frustrated: and spent another four days sleeping and feeling under the weather.

Believe me, he's now a very kitten-like kitten of 8 weeks and full of it!!! Misti has to give him a slap to calm him down sometimes. He hangs onto Sheba's tail (she's his elected surrogate animal mom) and gets wagged along with said tail :laughing: and Dani flattens him when she runs after him to play catch :laughing:

Basically, just give yours a little time. Feed the "old" kitten some favourite food, give it her a toy she enjoys, pay attention to her as much if not more than before, play with them together, and when they start going to see who the other is ... don't interfere, let them do it their way. The new one may get slapped around, but that's normal, it's just Miss Household First Cat Lady telling the new thingy that she's the boss!

But there's one thing missing from your post: PICTURES !!!!

Klurik
December 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
here you go

CearaQC
December 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Oh, what a beautiful kitty! I swoon over blue eyes in cats.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 12:55 PM
They are both beautiful!

I recently introduced two 4 month old kitties to my 10 and 9 month old male and female, Vlad and Oksana.

I had to leave the Male, Maks, at the vet for some care for a week, so I brought Kiska home first. I kept her in my hallway, separated from the older ones by a screen.

This enabled all of them to see each other, and touch paws and get used to each others scents. It only took a week until I was able to have her roam around. When I brought Maks home, I did the same thing. It took only about 4 days for all of them to get to know each other, since I got home one day and found the other 3 sprung Maks from his confinement.

You can also buy some Feliway. It is supposed to work well at keeping the stress factor down, so it helps keep them from spraying and it helps with introductions.

rainbow
December 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
She is gorgeous and your boy is very handsome as well. :lovestruck: They both have that "exotic" look to them. :cloud9: They are both very young so I don't think it will take long at all before they are playing together. :D

hazelrunpack
December 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Gorgeous kitties, Klurik! :cloud9:

No advice for you, though...too many dogs around here to have much cat experience. :o