Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh Maks, do I ever owe you an apology.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Because it was YOUR SISTER!

I caught her. I decided to go back to the big box I had until I found something with higher sides, and while I was lining it, I was in the kitchen. Vlad was sitting there, just watching me, and Kiska was just walking around, chewing on the plastic.

Then, as I was finishing there was pee all over the place!!!!!

I called the vet, and they said it would be very rare for such a young kitty to be in heat. but she said to watch her. If her vulva becomes a little swollen and she starts spotting then I'll know for sure.

I have the Feliaway in, and i'm thinking that maybe it takes a few days to work. I'm just thrown. Vlad and Oksana have never been vocal kitties. They have both been pretty quiet and rarely meowing. So all of this meowing is very new to me.

Well, I guess I'm going into some new kitty territory. Pray for me people, pray for me.:eek:

krdahmer
December 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
:eek:Oh no she may have chosen a new litter box! :yuck:

Well I hope that the feliway helps... and that she's not in heat already. She's too young... and dainty... :o

Winston
December 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Ancientgirl are you having trouble with the height of the box? I tried the covered ones and my 2 went nuts....they hated it...so because one is male he tends to lift up higher and sometimes it gets on the floor..so what I did was get a large box from the grocery store..placed the litter box inside...I make sure it is at least a couple inches higher than the litter box...and then I just cut out the one end so they can get in and out okay..It works to keep both the litter and any mess inside...

Is Kiska peeing outside the box? I wouldnt be so worried about a heat but a urinary infection....they tell you that if they pee outside the box its usually the litter box needs cleaning more often or there is something up? The kitties way of telling you somethings up?? We this before and Bomber had a URI...meds and change of food helped him out...

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I've since changed the box. I put their old box back and just threw the other one away. I just didn't feel like cleaning it and trying to take it back. So I blew that money. She didn't have a problem getting in the other box. and actually the corner box was harder to clean and didn't seem to hold enough of their stuff. I did see some of the rubber maid boxes at Target, but I decided to wait until Kiska and Maks are a little bigger.

If getting in the box might be one reason for her giong outside the box, then at least once they're bigger they can get in easier.

I'll keep a watch on her though. If she does it again, I'll have to take her in to the vet and make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I hadn't considered a UTI before.

Rottielover
December 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I think she should be checked for a UTI, very rare do females mark, even in heat. Sounds like bladder, or UTI infection

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I've been watching her since this morning and I'll watch her for the rest of the evening. I'll try to get an appointment for her tomorrow and see if there is anymore wetting when I get home.

When I changed the box back to the old one, she was the first one to use it.

I'm thinking it was that she couldn't get into the other box easily. The sides were high for her, the old box isn't as high and more comfortable getting in and out.

Dracko
December 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Poor Maks!!!! :angel:

rainbow
December 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Poor Maks!!!! :angel:

Ditto from me. :D

And, I agree with Rottielover about the UTI. Good luck at the vet. Will they just let you bring in a urine sample so it won't be so expensive? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I've made an appointment for her tomorrow at 7:30. I just don't know though. I know she's young, but I just get the feeling she's in heat. She was meowing and I went upstairs, just to make sure she was okay. She was stretched on the floor and rubbing herself on the rug. And earlier I saw her sleeping with Vlad and she's been rubbing herself against him now and then. LOL, Vlad just runs of course.

She hasn't had any accidents since this morning.

I'll know tomorrow for sure what's wrong.