Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Iam Disabled And On ODSP And Need Some Help With Me Cats

proudfosterdad
December 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Can Somebody Recommend Me To A Vet That Is Cheap Or Special For ODSP Clients Or An Organztion That Deals With Special needs People Invovling The Animals

Help Would Be Great

Thanks

CyberKitten
December 15th, 2007, 11:10 PM
There was a segment on CTV (I saw it at the hospital actually) abouyt a vet who during the holiday season in Toronto I believe helps people who cannot afford a vet with their animals. If you access the ctv.ca web site, I am sure you will find it. But it was mostly for homeless ppl and so forth. I do not know your situation so it's hard to know,. I do know as someone who sits on a commission regarding disabilities (I have my own disability of sorts but I still work), we have nothing like that here.

There are vets who will help by providing a way to pay over time or that sort of thing. And there is an org called Imom that helps people in need - it is based i in the US but helps Cdns. I know I support one family and they send me updates on how their cat (whop has CPF) is doing - it's a great org.

sugarcatmom
December 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Here's a link for financial aid in cases of sick or injured animals (routine care isn't covered) that might be of some help: http://www.farleyfoundation.org/about/who_qualifies.html

Types of Medical Care that Qualify:
The Farley Foundation will reimburse clinics for non-elective (necessary) medical procedures for sick or injured pets that belong to qualifying owners.

The Farley Foundation believes that routine veterinary care is an important part of responsible pet ownership. Consequently, physical examinations, vaccinations and other routine veterinary treatment will not be funded.

Pet Owners that Qualify:
Farley Foundation funding is available to assist clinics to care for pets of individuals who CANNOT OTHERWISE PAY FOR NEEDED MEDICAL CARE, and who fall into one of the following categories:

1) Seniors who receive the Federal Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
2) People with disabilities who receive the Ontario Disability Support Payment (ODSP)
3) Women participating in OVMA's SafePet program

Funding is limited to $700 per year for each clinic, and for each pet and household for which funding is provided.

Other than that, there's Care Credit (http://www.carecredit.ca/).