Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dew claw surgery

pbpatti
December 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
:offtopic:DH is in hospital so I get to look after the puppy, I have been leaving her in the house when I go to work but on Friday she was just splitting to get out. I said to myself, self, Sasha needs the fresh air the temp is great so let her be outside.

come home 4 hours later let her in love her, feed her and notice that she is holding up her front left paw and then licking at it.

she had her dew claws removed as a puppy but the left one grew back. we already had an appointment with her dr d. for a recheck so this is good timing. he looked over her paw and noticed that she had broken the dew claw at the base, ouch:eek: he said that he can pull the claw off and it would heal fine. unfortunately when he pulled this off she had bone showing so he had to take the dew claw off completely.

Sasha is a trooper though and was up and about soon after that. DH and me take the droopy drunken girl home, what a hoot:D I know should not laugh at drugged puppy. but what fun.

she is sleeping off the remains of the anesthitc and will be fine. just needs to go back and get stiches out. what a trooper, are all labs so stoic, don't show pain or complain at all?

Frenchy
December 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
are all labs so stoic, don't show pain or complain at all?

Well , I can tell you about goldens , almost the same as a lab but with more fur ! Sam is extremely brave , he once had to get his whole hind leg shaven , right on the biggest hot spot , it was bleeding and there was green puss , vet said this is going to hurt your dog (the electric shavor) but Sam didn't even budge nor made a sound. Sam (again !) broke and lost a whole nail , bleeding all over the place , he never complained , not even at the emergency vet , they wanted to sedate him but I said no (couldn't drag back a 100 lbs dog by myself) and he let them shave and clean the wound and put a bandage on. None of my goldens ever complained.

Frenchy
December 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Speedy recovery brave little Sasha ! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
We had a black lab years back that was the same way--stoic to the max! A few years later, we had a springer that followed suit.

Setters, now...setters are another story. Wusses. Utter wusses. :D

I hope Sasha's owie heals quickly! :fingerscr

Dracko
December 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I would have to muzzle and sedate Dracko (GSD) if someone was gonna poke and prode at him. Certainly not the temperment of a Golden. :o

rainbow
December 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Well my lab is so hyper that it's hard to tell if he would be stoic. He has had three operations in the last year and not complained about any pain though. :o

TeriM
December 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I believe that most "working" breeds are very stoic. I know my labs are very tough. I am embarassed to say that sometimes I feel a bit guilty when they do something that must hurt (ie, Riley did a somersault out of my truck last week onto the sidewalk) because they just get up with a goofy look on their faces so it makes me laugh :lovestruck:.

Ok ... except maybe when I am cutting their nails, then they are a bit wimpy :rolleyes:.

Frenchy
December 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I would have to muzzle and sedate Dracko (GSD) if someone was gonna poke and prode at him. Certainly not the temperment of a Golden. :o

But Dracko lives with 5 cats !!!!! They're setting the example ! :laughing:

pbpatti
December 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
three cheers for all those brave kitties and furballs they do seem to bounce back,

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I agree, these breeds go and go and go....they really hurt themselves before they let it show. :angel:

pbpatti
December 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I am sometimes afraid that if she is really hurt will I know.? will she let me know.? I poke and prod when I'm loving her up so if anything should try to sneak up hopefully I'll find it. patti