Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kiska is making odd little noises, can someone clue me in?

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM
For a few days now, Kiska has been walking around cooing and meowing a lot. Maks is a cooing kitty too, but Kiska is almost constantly doing this.

She's 4 months old. I don't know the signs of a cat being in heat, so I'm not sure if maybe that's what's happening to her. Is she too young? Is she about the right age?

Or is this constant cooing just maybe something normal for her?

Frenchy
December 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I think (not sure) but she could start her first heat ? But Paddington sometimes walks around and meows too , like he's talking to ghosts or something. :shrug:

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
If she has, how long does it usually last? She's not getting spayed until the 28th. I'm wondering if I should call the vet tomorrow and ask.

Winston
December 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
It could be her first heat..or somtimes with siblings they have this chatter about them...she could be looking for Maks?

Cindy

Frenchy
December 15th, 2007, 08:34 PM
If she has, how long does it usually last? She's not getting spayed until the 28th. I'm wondering if I should call the vet tomorrow and ask.

I think you will know soon enough , they can be extremely vocal (very annoying !!) but you could call your vet just to find out if they would still do the spay.

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
It could be her first heat..or somtimes with siblings they have this chatter about them...she could be looking for Maks?

Cindy

That's also true. But he's right in the same room when she does it. Still, I recently saw a video of two kitties having a very cute cooing conversation.

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I think you will know soon enough , they can be extremely vocal (very annoying !!) but you could call your vet just to find out if they would still do the spay.

Okay, I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask if that's what it might be. As well as ask if they would still spay her if she was in heat.

14+kitties
December 15th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Check it out. It's very informative!!!!

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/tips.htm

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Check it out. It's very informative!!!!

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/tips.htm

Thanks. I liked that link. It was quite informative. It did say 6 months is the usual first heat, so maybe this is her's and Maks' way of communicating.

Stacer
December 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
My Finn is quite the strange noise maker. We brough her home at about 8 weeks old and she made every noise except a meow, and was quite vocal all the time, even now after being spayed she still makes those noises and rarely meows normally. I love it.

CearaQC
December 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Might be heat.

The real clue is when the tail is held high and slightly to the side in order to allow a male access. lol That and the rocking back and forth. Does she really get into it when you pet her on the back right by the tail? That usually sends them into the rocking motion, or rolling on the floor, purring and cooing and sometimes out of the blue getting ticked off and running away.

Sometimes they howl on top of all that. Hope you don't have to deal with that. :laughing:

14+kitties
December 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Ancient - you had asked about the vet fixing Kiska while she is in heat. I found another site that gives more info about that. You might like to check it out.

http://www.hdw-inc.com/spayneuter.htm#spayneuter

I know my vet does not want to do MALES under 6 months because he says there is more of a chance of them developing stones/crystals if done before but all vets are different in their thinking. He didn't say anything about females but I will find out about that soon. I have a BUNCH ready to go in January.

Dracko
December 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM
One of my cats, Smitty, makes funny noises. I can tell it's him when he walks in to a room often cuz of it. It isn't a meow more like a noise in his throat. Almost like a vocalize purr or what it would sound like if a cat made a noise when it was trying to poop but was constipated. ;)

onster
December 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
lol, all hazel does is funny noises. I think I'm like "what omg, whats wrong?" when I hear a meow out of him. I used to think it was him calling Onnie, but somteims Onnie will be right there. He also makes a half coo- half chirp.

If kiska isnt 'making herself available' (butt sticking in air) then she's prob just being vocal :). I wouldnt really worry.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Ancient - you had asked about the vet fixing Kiska while she is in heat. I found another site that gives more info about that. You might like to check it out.

http://www.hdw-inc.com/spayneuter.htm#spayneuter

I know my vet does not want to do MALES under 6 months because he says there is more of a chance of them developing stones/crystals if done before but all vets are different in their thinking. He didn't say anything about females but I will find out about that soon. I have a BUNCH ready to go in January.

OY, very informative, but if Kiska is in the early stages of heat them it might have been her that peed on my chair.

Many, the end of the month can't come soon enough. At least I won't have to worry about her being in heat again, and whether it was her or Maks that did the peeing, at least I probably won't have to worry about that anymore either.

krdahmer
December 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Windy had her first heat at about 5 months, while we were away, the very descriptive and panicked message from my non-pet-smart mother was so funny I saved it for over a year!

I would say the cooing and meowing and chatter is just normal, all of mine have times where they do it more often, almost like they are looking for something or just talking to the walls. It'll take your household a little time to settle down, as there has been lots of excitement this fall... new kittens, christmas... trips to the vet and then hopefully :fingerscr another healthy addition! I'm sure there will be lots of chatter as they look for and find their personal spaces.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
That makes sense. I've really only had Kiska and Maks for less than two months. Once you start adding cats to the household, i guess it takes a little more time to get things to run smoothly.

Next week I'm going to get a Feliway to put upstairs. That way I'll have one downstairs and up, and make sure the entire apartment is pheremone filled!