Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on my Dad - No Holiday this Year

CyberKitten
December 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I have not been around much - my life, centered as it is around the hospital to stat with, now is essentially even more so as I wait hopefully for my dad to become stable enough to have the surgery he so desperately needs. he had sepsis as some of you know (and a very low chance of survival) and thus far, he is defying the odds. So, if you believe in ]prayer, anything would help! This has been a difficult time for our family and we postponed Hanukkah (except for the lighting of the candles) , we are now doing so with Christmas - except for my young nieces who even tho they know "grampy" is very ill, need to have that normalcy in their lives of gifts and unwrapping of gifts.

But I cannot celebrate until I know whether dad will survive this. He developed pancreatitis which - as one of my colleagues always points out kills 30% of its victims regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, background, etc... - and then developed sepsis which gives one a 50% chance. So we were sort of looking at a 20% chance of survival and looking at the lottery of what organ would be the most severely affected if he did live. He has his cognitive abilities - once he was out of a coma, thank God but it does appear he will have a heart condition. That's not as alarming as it sounds (I have a heart condition myself, as do many many people and we/ they manage) but with everything he has been through, having to shock his heart time and again is nerve wracking even for someone like me who does it somewhat routinely in my work.

So, if you have not seen me around, that's why. I practically live at the hospitals - the one I work at and the one we moved my dad to. He has the best surgeon and a friend who is the Head of Anesthesiology has offered to to that when the time comes (and hopefully it will) for the original surgery.

So, I do wish everyone a happy holiday but all I want is a healthy dad!! Everything else going on around my family seems so superfluous! One gets so focused that it is hard to realize there is a biog wide world out there. Thank God he was a healthy man to start - he would be dead now. But we have hope and lots of it. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

joeysmama
December 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm so sorry about what you're going thorugh. IT's difficult at any time of the year but more so around the holidays. Lots of prayers coming your way. And good for you for making a holiday for the little ones. They'll look back on this and realize what you've done by allowing them the holiday and I'm sure you'll be blessed for it.

luckypenny
December 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Praying your Dad is better soon.....:grouphug:

CearaQC
December 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM
:pray: for your dad and family.

rainbow
December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
CK, my heart goes out to you and your family. :grouphug: Is there a date booked for his surgery? My thoughts and prayers are with you. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

chico2
December 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
CK,I missed you around and was concerned about you,your own health is not 100%,but I am really sorry about your dad and certainly hope he'll pull through:pray:
There is always another Christmas and Hanukkah,but you only have one dad:pray:

SARAH
December 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
There is always another Christmas and Hanukkah,but you only have one dad:pray:

Amen Chico! And CK, I will include you and your dad and the rest of your family in my :pray:

:grouphug: girl, hang in there!

JanM
December 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
My prayers are with you and your family - it is such a difficult time for everyone!

I pray all goes well for everyone.

Frenchy
December 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm so sorry about your dad CK :sad: I remembered my dad's last x-mas , it wasn't fun at all.

I hope he recovers soon , I will have good thoughts for you and your family. :grouphug:

krdahmer
December 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
:pray:ers, :goodvibes: and :grouphug: from us to you, your dad and all of your family... for a miraculous holiday season! :)

marko
December 15th, 2007, 07:16 PM
:fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:
Thinking positive thoughts CK :pray::fingerscr

Sincerely,

Marko

breeze
December 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
My thought and prayers are with you and your family

:goodvibes::fingerscr:grouphug::pray:

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM
:grouphug:

I was hoping the news would be better, but he's hanging in there and that's what counts! :fingerscr and :pray: that he's on the upswing now and will be stronger soon!

Take care of yourself, CK. It's no good you getting sick, too...so take good care...

:grouphug:

pbpatti
December 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I have :pray:s for you and your family.

growler~GateKeeper
December 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Lots of :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr and many many :grouphug: for you & your family :2huggers:

TeriM
December 16th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Sending lots of hugs, prayers and good thoughts to you and your family.

:grouphug::pray::goodvibes::pray::grouphug:

cpietra16
December 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
lots of good vibes:goodvibes: CK

badger
December 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm really sorry, CK, I hope your dad turns the corner and they can do the surgery. I find that whatever one's religious stripe (or not), people's hearts open more easily at Christmas, may that good energy comfort you.
And a hot grog laced with brandy wouldn't hurt either.

Winston
December 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Sending good thoughts and many prayers for you and your family!! I hope things turn the corner soon!

Cindy
:candle:

happycats
December 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Sending positive thought's and prayers your way CK:pray:

Christmas isn't always a festive occasion for everyone, and many don't understand that.

Boubou
December 17th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Actually, I was wondering where you were, Cyberkitten.

My thoughts are with you during these tough times. :grouphug:

Do take time to take your mind off things, read the board, look at the pictures, and smile. Try to find a few moments to unwind everyday, or else you're going to get yourself sick again!

clm
December 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Warm positive thoughts and best wishes to you and your dad. :goodvibes:

Cindy

CyberKitten
December 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks so much everyone- it is all very much appreciated!!!!! Surgery is not yet booked- he needs to be stable and he is still considered "critical" . I do believe your prayers will help and I thank you all immensely!!!!

It's hard to be in the midst of a medical situation one cannot control - not that I can always control crises that happen to my patients but I can actually feel like I am doing something and often correct the problem. Here, I feel so helpless though I can be there for him. I guess it may well be true that if doctors make the worst patients, they find it even tougher to be the family member of a patient!!!

At one point, he was essentially given a less than 20% chance of survival (not that I am a huge believer in percentages tho we do use them sometimes) and the fact he is improving slowly is a good sign. He is still sick and we are very worried though. I thank all of you for your care and concern. It means more than I can say here!!!!!! :thankyou:

btw Badger, love the grog idea, :-)

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
We are here for you what ever you might need! :goodvibes:

chico2
December 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM
CK,I am glad he is slowly getting better,I am sure he has your whole family supporting him,so he just has to get better.:pray:

dmc123
December 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Cyberkitten,

I add my thoughts and prayers for you, your Dad along with the rest. Best wishes to you all.

Diane

Lukka'sma
December 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Sending get well wishes to your father and lots of :grouphug: to the family

pbpatti
December 17th, 2007, 08:40 PM
So, I do wish everyone a happy holiday but all I want is a healthy dad!! Everything else going on around my family seems so superfluous! One gets so focused that it is hard to realize there is a biog wide world out there. Thank God he was a healthy man to start - he would be dead now. But we have hope and lots of it. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers![/QUOTE] I will send prayers and thanks for the recovery of your Father. I also send you strength to come through this very difficult time . may the:angel2::angel:be with you and your family. patti

CyberKitten
December 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Again, thanks so much for your concern. He seems to be slowly improving - has developed some cardiac issues which could delay surgery so it is up to the cardiologist and the anesthesiologist. The Chief of Anesthesiology did tell me to make sure to let him know when the surgery might be set - he wants to be THE one doing administering the anesthesia so I have a lot if support amg my colleagues as well. I am hoping prayers can help heal him and I am a believer in hope and prayers and good thoughts or vibes so thanks again!!

He is still very weak and having difficulty eating but he is ever so slowlly getting better. I know he is still at a difficult stage and I think this is one of those times I wish I did not know all the various things that could go wrong but I am attempting to emphasize the positive. He is healthy - or would not have survived what he did already - and in excellent shape for a man his age. He was on no meds at all prior to this (the occasional tylenol or zantac but that was it, no scripts). So I do think that is a bonus in his situation and we are all there cheering him on.

You will laugh when I tell you my brother - who is an accountant by training - tells me to speak English when I start explaining medical issues to my family. I would never do that in explaining info to a family of a patient but here is my own family and I assume by the power of relationship that they will instantly know all the medical terms, lol He is right - I probably tend to speak too much "medicalese" sometimes but I blamed it on the stress.

As for the holidays again - all I want for Hanukkah and Christmas is a healthy dad!!!

Once again, thanks!!!

Frenchy
December 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Slowly but surely CK. :thumbs up

rainbow
December 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well, there's that old saying .... "slow and steady wins the race". Sending continued prayers and good wishes for your dad. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

glasslass
December 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I just saw this post. CK, if heartfelt wishes can pull him through, he'll make it. You mentioned he was strong and healthy before. I hope his mental outlook is positive. When my Pop was stricken, the hardest thing for him to accept was the loss of that strength and his self-image. Older men of that generation place so much importance on being strong. I pray for him and also for his family who I know are suffering so much. Stay strong so you can be there for him.