Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats who are 'grooming challenged'

Foxycat
December 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
There is no nice way to say this - I have two long haired cats who wander about with cat poop bits stuck to their bums after they use their litter boxes. They are indoor and have two litter boxes that I clean regularly. One is overweight, 15lbs, the other not. Any thoughts as to how I can entice them to be better bum groomers- do I put something really tasty in their food? It is rather embarassing to watch them introduce themselves to friends purring away, tail-up, showing off their cling-ons. They also tend to run away if I try to wash them or clip the fur around their bums.:yuck:

badger
December 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Clipping their bums is probably the best solution. I'd take them to a professional groomer and have that area clipped well, but not shaved. It will take ages to grow back and in the meantime, just the change might encourage them to improve their grooming. If not, repeat.
If their diet is producing sticky turds, you might want to look at making some changes. Other than its other many benefits (fewer urinary & kidney problems), some people swear that an all canned diet is the most effective way of getting a cat to shed extra weight.

Dracko
December 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Yup, I'd clip their fur on their back ends. I had to do that with one of my older cats many years ago. I think he appreciated it.

Foxycat
December 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice...I will do the clipping and try soft/canned food and see if that helps. My vet also suggested I wash just their bums, fun.

chico2
December 15th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have a kitty(Vinnie)who often leaves a bit of a mess in his WHITE fur.
I usually clean most of it off with baby-wipes.After it dries,I brush off the rest and he lets me:laughing:,but trimming the fur is a great solution.

onster
December 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
My cat Onnie recently lost some weight and he used to have a grooming problem but is now clean as clean can be. Seems like the big boy just couldnt reach :rolleyes:. All canned food as sugarcatmom suggested would prob help out for sure :thumbs up

kiara
December 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I have one long haired cat that sometimes has this problem. She is also overweight at 14.3 lbs. I clip the hairs around the bum area occasionally and she lets me. Some cats don't groom their back ends. You can ask another family member to help you hold and clip your cats' bum area, while holding a treat. After that I give her a wash there. As for food I would ask the vet what food would be best for this problem. But I think your cat should be on diet food. Mine is on Hill's prescription diet W/D (which I get at my vet's). I think it has more to do with long hair than food. (???)

sugarcatmom
December 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
As for food I would ask the vet what food would be best for this problem. But I think your cat should be on diet food. Mine is on Hill's prescription diet W/D (which I get at my vet's). I think it has more to do with long hair than food. (???)

I so very strongly disagree with this advice. Vets tend not to be the best source of nutritional info when it comes to felines, and your vet is obviously not up-to-date if (s)he's prescribing W/D. This is one of the absolute worst foods out there for cats, and it's obviously not working to help yours lose weight. I think you need to do some more research before your cat ends up with diabetes, or worse.

Here are the first ingredients for W/D, which comes in at a whopping 37% calories from carbohydrates (when cats shouldn't eat more than 10%):
Ingredients
Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil,

There is no meat!!!!!! Powdered Cellulose???? Give me a break, we're talking about a carnivore here, not a beaver! Please do your cat a favour and get her off this food and onto a high protein, low carb canned food. That's the only way she's going to lose weight.

happycats
December 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I have a long haired guy (Boowee) who has very long hair, and does get poo poo cling ons, only when I forget to trim .
I keep the hair around the bum well trimmed, also check your litter level, if its to high, their feet sink and....well you get the picture (the poop doesn't "drop" ):o.