Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A great story

Rottielover
December 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM
THURS DECEMBER 13th 2007:

TWO family dogs are being hailed as heroes after they saved a two-year-old boy from drowning in a dam in Queensland yesterday morning.

Police said the dogs, a rottweiler cross and a staffordshire bull terrier, dragged the boy from the water after he had wandered into a neighbour's dam at Mackay on the state's central coast.

Max Hillier, 2, wandered from his Glenwood Park home, climbed under a fence and slipped into a neighbouring dam on a horse paddock.

Max had been missing for about 15 minutes as neighbours drove around desperately looking for him.

The owner of the property, Narelle Kay, found the boy lying on the embankment of the dam covered in mud with the two dogs by his side. "The dogs were halfway around the dam in a frenzied state. The brindle dog was pacing back and forth like it wanted help," she said; "The black dog was wet all over. I assume he was the one who retrieved Max out of the water. The brindle dog was making sure the boy wouldn't go back into the water."

Police said there were drag marks from the water's edge to where the boy was lying and small scratches on his arms from the dog's claws.

"We are certain the dogs pulled him out of the dam," a police spokesman said.

The dogs were calm while Mrs Kay wrapped up Max.

"It is an amazing story."

The Queensland Ambulance Service said the boy had been taken to hospital and was recovering at home last night.

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM
What a great story! And what great dogs! :highfive:

Thanks for sharing that!

pbpatti
December 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
that is a heartwarming story. who said that those breeds are nasties. it always depends on how you treat the pet. they obviously were very loved by whoever owned them to be able to save a small boy in trouble. they were is guardian:angel::angel:

rainbow
December 15th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Great dogs and great story ....thanks for sharing. :thumbs up

twodogsandacat
December 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Great story. Thanks for posting it.

Even more amazing is that another report of the story indicates that the Rotti cross was only a a puppy (six months old). The staffy belonged to a neighbour.

I hope they both got steak for dinner that night.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22926122-952,00.html

SARAH
December 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Victoria Cross for both! In sugar-coated cookie shape of course :thumbs up

Great to get such stories in the media too, not just horror stories about dog bites.

A dog is never worse than its' education/ upbringing/ socializing/ owner!

Thanks Rottielover, for that nice Christmas story! (well, sort of, because what kind of Christmas would the boy's family have without the help of the dogs!?)

Frenchy
December 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I hope they both got steak for dinner that night.

I second that ! :thumbs up I always knew dogs are a man's best friend :thumbs up