Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

They got together and are trying to drive me nuts

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I decided to buy a corner litter box I saw last week at Pet supermarket. It looked a bit roomier than the big one they had in the upstairs bathroom, so I decided to give it a try.

Well, I got it home, lined it and filled it. First problem, the entrance isn't very high, so I can't put as much litter as I usually do. Second problem, its not as big as I thought it would be.

I didn't even finish filling it, when Vlad, Oksana AND Kiska decided to get into it. OMG! I didn't even have a chance to level the litter and Kiska decided to christen the box! She wasn't finished doing her thing, and Vlad was already burying it for her. Then he decided to give it a bit of himself just for good measure. That kitty thinks he's digging for gold. by the time he was done, there was more litter outside the box, because of the low entrance, than inside.

*sigh*

I saw a high sided box I considered getting, but I just don't know if that would work too. It's got a low entrance as well.

Then I thought about those really nice round covered ones, Boodia I think they're called. But the biggest one I saw didn't seem big enough for Vlad.

Maybe I'll look online and see if they have any extra large ones.

I did like that it was round, so it looked pretty roomy, and I liked that it had little steps and that its covered because at this point, its the only thing I can use to keep the litter in the box. I use Swheat Scoop, so there is really no dust, I don't think that would be a problem for them in a covered box.

Does anyone have one of those Boodia ones?

SARAH
December 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
You know what the best litterbox I ever saw was? One that my dad got from a fish monger in a coastal town of Norway where we lived. You know, those white plastic boxes they transport the fresh fish in!! High enough sides, all equal (no lid of course, but at least the litter stayed inside it!!)

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I swear at this point, I'd try almost anything. Vlad is the one that gets it all over the place.

The only thing is I'd like something with high sides, but not so high that they'll have to jump into it.

sugarcatmom
December 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM
A Sterilite 41 Quart Underbed Box (http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=39#%23) makes a fabulous litter box. Nice and roomy, and clumping litter never sticks to it.

I tend to be against the covered boxes. They really have no benefits for the cats that have to use them. Most are too small and confining, they trap odors (sure, that's why people like 'em, but how would you like to be the cat forced to go into that stinky 'biffy'?) and they also make it too easy for people to forget to clean out the box more regularly. Plus, it makes it harder to keep an eye on your cat's elimination habits, which is an important part of their health. Just my :2cents:.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM
A Sterilite 41 Quart Underbed Box (http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=39#%23) makes a fabulous litter box. Nice and roomy, and clumping litter never sticks to it.

I tend to be against the covered boxes. They really have no benefits for the cats that have to use them. Most are too small and confining, they trap odors (sure, that's why people like 'em, but how would you like to be the cat forced to go into that stinky 'biffy'?) and they also make it too easy for people to forget to clean out the box more regularly. Plus, it makes it harder to keep an eye on your cat's elimination habits, which is an important part of their health. Just my :2cents:.

I never considered that. I like that the sides are high, because that's why I was considering a covered box. It's Vlad's digging and throwing all that litter outside. I have to go to Target tomorrow to finish my shopping and get some wrapping paper. I'm going to have a look at those boxes.

krdahmer
December 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have a Booda... and two of them love it.... the only downside is that being rounded it is a little difficult to scoop because I have a squared metal scoop and they of course like to pee all up the sides.:rolleyes: I do have the larger one with the stairs and it's plenty big for even Buddy at 18 lbs... you'd be surprised where they'll fit!

Oh and the underbed boxes are great, I got two really big ones at Zellers on clearance years ago, they are supposed to be for wrapping paper so they are blue with sparkles:o... but they work great have perfect sides and although are very heavy at clean out time the cats love them. They definitely get used the most.

I would recommend the booda if it is an area where you also have guests or are sharing with them (like your bathroom), the stairs really keep the litter tracking to a minimum.:thumbs up

chico2
December 15th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I have 2 large Rubbermaid storage-boxes,the best litterboxes:thumbs up
I can just picture the 4 of them fighting over the new box:laughing::laughing:

krdahmer
December 15th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Ha... I was typing that one and thought... I'll just go snap a pic of what I have and let you see for yourself. This is the cat's bathroom on the unfinished laundry side of the basement... as you can see the litter gets everywhere, but with this many there isn't much you can do about that.

And of course, when I went down there was a big poopers sitting on top so I covered it... as soon as it was covered Buddy decides he has to go...:rolleyes::laughing:

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
This is why I wish I had a laundry area or an extra room. I like that big Boodia, and the under bed boxes I'd love too.

I'm thinking since I have the last week of this month off, I can finally get the PC our from under the stairs. Then I can probably put a big box down under the stairs, and get another screen and put it in front so that nobody can see it.

I think that might be the best. I'm definitely going to need bigger boxes once I get kitty #5.

Dracko
December 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I have the big Rubbermaid tubs for litterboxes, too. Just found none of the litterboxes from pet stores had high enough sides to keep the litter IN the box. Now there is some litter that gets out when they leave, but not nearly as much as when they could throw it out.

Ginkgo even balances on the sides of the boxes to go poop. It is pretty cute to see. Guess she doesn't want to be anywhere near it. :p

My area is very similar to yours, krdahmer. I have the boxes in an area in the basement that is just for them and it's a concret floor I can easily sweep up. Actually, I'm very fortunate (I've been in your position many years ago ancientgirl, whereby I lived in apartments with 3 cats and nowhere to put the box) that now I have a door to the laundry room with a cat door for them to go in through and then another door to the furnace type room with another cat door and in there are their boxes.

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Dracko, I'm trying to get one of my friends to help me put a cat door on the wall that is the half bath downstairs. There is an area under the sink that is large enough for a really big box, but I can't leave the door open. I need to close it to put the screen up to keep them from getting out when I open the front door.

If I can get that cat door on the wall, then I'll be able to have 3 boxes. I'm going to look for some of those rubbermaid boxes. I need to measure the area in my bathroom where I have the current box up there, and I need to measure the one under the sink in the half bath.

Until I am able to afford a place that has two bedrooms or at the very least some kind of a laundry area, I've got to make do with what I have. I think it will work out fine.

chico2
December 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Ancientgirl,I am sure all of us who've had cats have gone through the same in an apartment.
I used to keep a litterbox in the one single bathroom we had,no big deal,you just had to scoop a little more often,the most important thing is,you love your cats,it does not really matter if you are in a house or an apartment.
My boxes are not quiet as long as Dahmers,but they have higher sides and I keep mine in the downstairs bathroom,with the door always open.

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I'd keep the door open too, but the downstairs bathroom is positioned in the worst spot. It's right next to the door. I need my screen to keep them from running out when I open the door, so I have to keep the bathroom door open.

My bathroom is always open. It's upstairs and I don't mind having their box in there.

I'll figure it all out. I've got a couple of plans and I think it will work out well.

I can get a really big one in the downstairs bathroom, and with a cat door on the wall, it will be easily accesable for all of them. Them I'll get a higher side one for my upstairs bathroom. And once I move the PC, I'd like to get a Boodia and put it down under the stairs. I think that should be good for them.

And I'm always going to have the Feliway going. My vet's office actually sells the refills cheaper than the pet store. So hopefully, everybody will be happy. :D