Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diets for IBD

msmerz
December 14th, 2007, 04:24 PM
HI!

My golden has been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disorder. He's age 4. We have him on a kibble that has lamb and rice only and he seems to be holding his own at this time. I'm thinking that we will have to change his food from time to time since this involves food allergies that can develop at any time. I would appreciate any information or experiences that anyone can share about other types of food that might be helpful. What is usually recommended is a food with one protein and one carbohydrate only.

Many thanks to you!

muckypup
December 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM
California Natural is a good food. http://www.naturapet.com/

gypsy_girl
December 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Generally speaking food allergies/intollerances are based on previous exposure to that protein source, and that exposure is not limited to the dog in question, but also parents etc.
Lamb and Rice is not considered an alternate protein (as you would want to find) as it has been used in dog food for a long period of time. Proteins that are "obscure" such as venison, rabbit, salmon etc are considered a better option, as they are not recently used in dog food.
One carb one protein is a good place to start as this "mimics" an elimination diet, as makes it easier to rule out what is working, what is not. However there are also good foods out there that are not one protein/one carb, that still could be considered an "allergy" food.
Personally I prefer the one/one as then I know where I am.
Keep in mind that grains also have a protein fraction, it is not just meat proteins that can be the offending agents.
As well, often times dogs with food allergies/intollerances also have inhalant, contact allergies. This can be tricky, because you may find a food that works, and then it seems it doesn't. This may be due to more environmental issues.
It's a good idea to keep track of changes in the environment for this reason. This would include pollen, as well as laundry soap etc.
Good luck!

muckypup
December 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Also some other things you might want to add that may help because they are good for digestion are Prozyme and Tripe.
http://www.prozymeproducts.com/
http://www.tripett.com/

rainbow
December 15th, 2007, 02:29 AM
California Natural is a good food. http://www.naturapet.com/

I agree....California Natural is about the best kibble for allergies. If it doesn't help then try one of the grain free kibbles. Orijen is my favourite (www.championpetfoods.com) but there are others like Innova EVO, Go Natural Grain Free, Wellness CORE, etc.

Adding fibre to your dogs diet is also helpful..... "plain" canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type) is good and most dogs like it. Or add cooked and mashed up green beans, brocolli, peas or carrots. You can also use Metamucil but I prefer the more natural sources.

alive555
December 22nd, 2007, 03:17 AM
I have a 3yr old schnauzer who has been diag with ibd. ibd is a v general diagnosis because its used to describe many symptoms caused by numerous food or allergy related problems.
first off get a total blood count and xray to rule out pancreatitis, cancer, foreign body, or anything else. make sure the dogs not eating something he shouldn't ie rat poison, grass etc.
if its ibd then expect to see soft or runny faesces, maybe some blood and or throwing up.
what the avg vet will give u is drugs to kill the bad bacteria. right short term fix but won't solve the underlying problem. the drugs kill both the bad AND the good bacteria. ie long term get the dog off them asap.
the solution i found was all diet. took 2 years and numerous vets to finally find a cure for my dog.
once I found it it worked fast. its all got to do with finding a food which your dog can digest as easily as possible. the blood u see comes from blood seeping through the stomach lining. ie the linings damaged.

1. zero dog treats
2. zero dog food
3 100pc cooked food. recipe for my dog for 1 week is;
- hills dog food w/d 1.5 cans
- pork 1 kilo grilled
- beef 1/2 kilo grilled
- lamb 1/2 kilo grilled
cut the meat up into v small pieces
- 5 tomatoes boiled
- 2 carrots boiled
- 1 large broccoli boiled
- 5 potatoes boiled

blend the lot

then use rice flower + whole grain 1 glass use it to get the food to stick together; make into bone shaped snack.

put in oven 180c for 20mins or so.

that worked for me where all the other diets totally failed.

try it and try diff ingredients until u see an improvement. now my dogs 100pc.!

2yrs trying v hard finally paid off.

good luck

mika140
December 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
One of my dogs has a very sensitive stomach, although he hasn't been diagnosed with anything. The best kibbles I've found for a sensitive stomach (especially if you want to avoid chicken, which seems to be in everything) are:

California Natural (they have lamb & rice and herring & sweet potato)
Solid Gold (mine did great on Barking at the Moon - grain free beef & salmon w/ potato)
Orijen (grain free 6 Fresh Fish)
Nature's Variety (grain free Instinct Duck & Turkey; Instinct Rabbit)
Eagle Pack Holistic (they have a few w/ one or two proteins)

There's a few others I like (such as EVO RM), but the ones above seemed to be both high quality ingredients and few ingredients (I tried to keep to only one or two protein sources). I'm sure there might be a couple I've missed too, but the ones above are great.

woof99
December 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hi there, I saw your post regarding the IBD, and wanted to give you a little advice- What you need to do is contact these companies and ask them what the digestibility of their diets is.
Your Golden needs to be on a low residue/low insoluble fiber diet-
Unfortunately you may need to try a few different diets until you find the right one.
IBD is a complex cause that involves inflamation of the gut mucosa, fiber will increase irritation, which leads to further diarrhea.
Food intolerance can be one of the factors but try to avoid going straight to a new protein source because if he starts to react in 2 years to this new protein, then you will need to find a new one again and so on. Eventually you can end up running out of diets that your dog will not react to.
Golden's are terrible for food allergies and envirenmental allergies.
You might also try adding some probiotics..such as Fortiflora sold through vets. It's like eating yogourt but in much higher doses- since most yogourts these days have virtually no probiotics.

All the best!