Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No more canned food for Maks

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I tried giving Maks some canned food yesterday and today. His poop has been firm since I finished giving him the medication, so I thought I'd give the little guy a bit of what the others are having.

Well this morning he had diarrhea. I think the little guy might have sensitive tummy issues or something. I don't think wet food agrees with him. I've tried a few different kinds and get the same results, so I'm going to keep him on the Wellness dry formula. He likes it and it doesn't seem to give him the wet poopies.

Jim Hall
December 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
what kind of canned ? Is it grain or vegiie based?
maybe the other kind would be better ?

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I was first feeding him Nutro Max, then I gave him a bit of Sheeba, which I believe has little or no grain.

sugarcatmom
December 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with maybe trying some different brands/flavours of canned to see if there's something that agrees with him better, and then also adding some probiotics to it. It's just so important, especially for young male cats, to get some wet food in their diet. Perhaps he just needs more time for his digestive system to adjust to the canned, or possibly there's an ingredient in the ones you've tried that he's sensitive to.

Kristin7
December 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
One of mine has food issues as well - but doesn't matter, wet or dry. I have found a couple brands she seems to be tolerating well, though, of the wet food. Those are Wellness and Eagle Pack holistic select. Both my cats are doing well with these. I don't know if Maks would be ok on these but might be worth a shot. I have no idea what my cat (Annie) is sensitive too but certain foods cause her to vomit it right back up, usually this results in about 30 spots to clean up around the house, ugh. So yes, I was afraid to try new foods for awhile, once finding something that worked for her!

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have to get some of the Wellness dry this weekend, so I'll get him a few cans of the wet. I think I'm also going to stay away from seafood. I know Oksana has had a problem with that in the past, which is why I don't feed it to her often. Perhaps Maks also has an issue with it.

At the vet's suggestion I gave him a bit of yogurt, and that was a disaster. He really was loose then. I'll see if I can find some probiotics in a different form other than yogurt.

Kristin7
December 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yikes! Could be his system needs a break, you might want to keep him on the 'kibble-only' for a few days 'til his issue clears up. He may do fine once he gets a bit older too, I've noticed some cats grow out of their digestive problems they had as a kitten.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, even though Kiska looks like a delicate little thing, I think she might be the more robust one. Maks has had problems from the get go. Luckily all fixable. I'll keep him on the dry for a while longer. I'll just maybe give him a half a can now and then, and see if maybe that gets his system used to it. And I'm going to get him some probiotics, see if that will help too.

I felt so bad for him. I saw him in the litter box, and thought he was peeing, because I heard it, then I realized it was poop!

Longblades
December 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Are you mixing it in gradually with the kibble? I suppose you already know that you shouldn't just switch him cold turkey, so to speak.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I just have been giving him half a can, with bits of kibble in it for a few days. This morning I did just give it to him alone. I might have shocked his tummy.:sad:

I feel terrible that he's got this problem again. I've got to be more careful with him and his food.

The good thing is he seemed as feisty and playful as usual, so at least it's not affecting him too much.

rjesak
December 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Poor Maks! :sad: My first cat ever (I got her in Junior High) had tummy issues all her life. She had a terrible time keeping food down and if she did keep it down, it always came out loose. I never felt I was able to help her much - she loved to eat and would gobble her food making herself sick. If I forced her to eat slowly (practically spoon-feeding her) it would stay down but come out the other end as liquid.

I hope you can figure out a solution for little Maks. There are supposed to be foods out there specifically for kitties with sensitive stomachs aren't there? I've never used them so I don't know if they're any good or not.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I've got to go to the pet store before I go home, I need some litter and I'm getting them a bigger box. I know Iams has a sensitive stomach brand, and I'm not sure if Wellness does, but I'm going to look for it too. I'll get him what I can find.

I just have to get his poop firm again then I'll see if I can give him maybe canned once a week or something. I'll go slow. He loves the Wellness so it's not like he's going to stop eating. I've just got to get him regular again. I'll see what happens for a few days. If he keeps getting the diarrhea, I might need to take him back to the vet.