Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has Copperhead snake stuck in collar

CearaQC
December 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0%2C22884%2C22912202-921%2C00.html

TIM MARTAIN

December 13, 2007 12:00am

JELLY the miracle cat only has eight lives left after a frightening close encounter with a deadly copperhead snake.

Owner Wendy Wallis was outside playing with her children in their Sorell garden on Tuesday when the nine-year-old family pet wandered in through the gate from a paddock.

"At first I thought she had a bird in her mouth, but then I realised it was a snake wrapped twice around her neck and knotted under her chin," Mrs Wallis said yesterday.

It was the first time she had seen a snake on her property, although her neighbours said they spotted several each year.

Mrs Wallis took a photo of Jelly and the snake through a glass door but did not open it.

"We called the Reptile Rescue people and the guy held the snake's head with a set of special tongs while he held the tail and unwrapped it from Jelly's neck," she said.

Although Jelly showed no signs of having been bitten at first, by yesterday morning she was very sick.

"When we woke up we found her completely paralysed so we rushed her to the vet," Mrs Wallis said.

Montrose Veterinary Centre vet Andrew Nicholson said cats often avoided a full dose of snake venom in such encounters because of their speed.

"Often ... the bite only glances off the skin or their coat dulls the bite to just a scratch," he said.

Because of drier than normal conditions, snakes are on the move much earlier than usual this year.

Jelly is still at the veterinary clinic being treated with expensive anti-venom and other medications, but is expected to make a full recovery.

"It's the first snake I've ever seen in my life," said a still-shaken Mrs Wallis.

"We have four boys so if there are any more snakes around I hope we find them before the kids do."

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5796452,00.jpg

chico2
December 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
OMG...:yell:

SARAH
December 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM
How scary for the poor pussycat!!

This is the reason I always killed the vipers I saw on our property in Normandie, I didn't want the cats, dogs, goat or more importnatly the KIDS to get bitten by them! I knew they were protected and there was a fine if anyone knew I got them before they got us, but I called it self preservation. The neighbor finally found the nest and poured petrol on it before throwing a match in.

The garter snakes I just moved though, harmless things.

Frenchy
December 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
omg poor cat !!!! :eek:

glitterless
December 15th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I feel for the poor cat, but OH MY GAWD!!!! I would NOT have been able to save my poor kitty from a snake! I think I would have had a heart attack if I saw that. I have such a snake-phobia.