Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Oddness of Tweak the Cat.

SeeMe
December 13th, 2007, 04:43 AM
My kitten, Tweak, is a weird cat. In fact, it's commonly said around our house that Tweak "thinks he's a people." He acts very very strangely, and really makes me wonder about this reincarnation thing.

First, he opens doors. This is a very, very trippy ordeal to go through. Oftentimes, I would sneak away to my bedroom to (in a fit of greed) eat a meal or two without having to share with any cats. Or I would (very strangely) want to be alone for a bit. Or, perhaps, not want to have him watch me while I'm on the big, wet, cold and noisy litterbox.

Clearly, in cat language, this is one of the highest insults you can insult a cat with. After all, food is not for humans, food is for cats. People don't need privacy, cats need privacy. Especially when they go to the bathroom. Cats choose when, where, and how a human being lives, eats, and goes to the potty. Obviously, I hadn't been made aware of this fact before his arrival. So Tweak chose to let me know exactly how things are meant to go-- took it upon himself to teach me the natural order of things, if you will. He chose to do this by opening the door. I don't know how he does it, but I know that if I, in all my rebelliousness, want to eat a meal without sharing with him, or want to be away from him, he will open the door and sit there, silently rebuking me with a scornful look. I can only make this look go away by offering to pet him, giving him some food, or shamefacedly finishing up my toilet duties, washing my hands, and then petting him and/or giving him food.

Fortunately for me, he hasn't learned how to pick locks. And I pray it stays that way.

Next, he knows how to ring a doorbell. Seriously. We have an enclosed porch that all the cats love to play in. It's a nice, bigish porch, warmish in the winter, with lots and lots of silly human junk for them to play in. However, the cats don't often agree that they should come in when we come in form the porch, and may often spend some time out there alone. Tweak does not like this. After all, Tweak must be sure that I am not sneaking off to eat in peace, going to the bathroom without his supervision, or being alone. And so, he's learned when you push that funny yellow square with your paw, the people come out and fuss over you, then let you in. I worry that, should he escape the house, he may become a serial ding-dong-ditcher. Or he may rent out his human training services to other cats. If a large, grey male tabby with a three leaf clover tag on his collar suddenly starts opening doors and ringing doorbells around your house, please let me know.

One more very odd thing I've noticed this kitten doing is that he pets other animals. Yes, that's right. He pets them. He is not hitting them, or clawing them, but actually petting them. And I'm not just talking about cats. right now we have a new baby dauschaund , (creatively named Doxie.) that is very, very upset at having left her home. She was crying, sobbing at the fact we put her in a bunny cage and were not holding her/letting her wander around and play (We do not trust the cats, as the new puppy is about the size of a rat. The cage is more than big enough for her, and she's only in there in case we aren't watching Napoleon and Tia like hawks. They get into the hunter stance when they see/hear her.) Tweak has proven himself a very mellow fellow when it comes to this crying puppy. She has chomped on his tail, pushed him over and climbed on him, and even cuddled up to him. While he may not enjoy it, he allows it. So he is sitting by the cage, watching the puppy cry, cry, cry. (We were letting her cry it out and rewarding her by picking her up and petting her when she was quiet) He noticed that when we touched the puppy, she was quiet. When no one was touching her, she cried.

He made the connection, and reached his paws in, just touching them to her head. She snuffled, then she quieted down, still crying some. That's when Tweak began to pet him. He'd slide his paw down the puppy's head. We did watch this, then looked at each other in amazement. He was not hurting her, in fact, if we'd thought he was, we would have pushed him away. He was petting her, and she stopped crying.

I think I'll take bets on what new thing he'll come up with to amaze me next. Anyone care to take bets that he'll learn to play the trumpet, guitar or piano? Or maybe you think he'll learn to use the computer? Although, if I find him playing Beethoven's Ninth, I think I may just have to move away to the nice, clean, safe, cat-free mental hospital. And hope he doesn't find me.

CearaQC
December 13th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I loved reading that!

So true about the bathroom. Not only does Linx try to open the door, he also likes to play by sticking paws under the door. Belle also comes along and sniffs at the door. When I leave the bathroom, the two of them are sitting there looking at me. As if I went into a magic portal or something. :laughing:

Love4himies
December 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Yup, I think cats think it is a sin to go to the bathroom alone. One cat I had, I had to wait for him to come into the bathroom before I closed the door otherwise he would claw at the door and meow.

14+kitties
December 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I love that!! And may I say..... BTDT! :crazy:
Mine opened the basement door so he could go and use his litter box all the time. And the bathroom privacy? What's that?
Thank you for bringing back some very good memories! :)

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Great narrative, SeeMe! :thumbs up

I think setters must be part cat...why the eight of them think crowding into the bathroom with me is a necessity, I've never been able to figure out! :laughing:

rainbow
December 14th, 2007, 01:39 AM
That was truly amusing. :laughing: Now we must pics of Tweak please. :D

Bluedrake
January 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM
My cat Erin doesn't beleive in bathroom privacy either. Chinook used to leave me alone, but since Erin has gotten here, they both come to spy on me in the bathroom! :laughing:

badger
January 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Picture of Doxie :pray:

Greeneyes
January 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Babygirl does not believe in privacy either, it all started when I brought her home. Her litter box went in the bathroom until she was old enough to make it downstairs without accidents. So every time I went I would take her with me and most times she would go to. Now, 6 years later she can be sleeping downstairs on the opposite end of the house and be there before I'm finished.
It's funny though she only does this with me. :laughing:

ancientgirl
January 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I've never closed the door to go to the bathroom to do anything. Since I've always had the litter box in the bathroom I always have to keep it open. But that's not to say I shouldn't be allowed some quiet time.

When I notice mine are napping I try to take a bathroom break. One will ultimately wander in there and decide they want attention. On the other side though, they have no issue with using the bathroom while I'm in there either so I guess that's good.

Tweak sounds like an amazing little kitty. Petting the Doxie sounds absolutely adorable!