Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog attack in London ONT...but whose fault?

lezzpezz
December 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM
A dog attacked a child yesterday and inflicted a bite requiring 25 stitches. This was just updated and reported on the local radio. In this case, as with many others, I personally do NOT blame the dog in question here, whatsoever, but the idiot owner.

The dog is Mugsy, and, as luck would have it, (thank you Bryant the tyrant), it is a pit bull. I don't care what breed the dog is, as we know it makes for good press to push the pb issue, but what about the stupid dog owner issue??

Mom on the radio really ticked me of as she kept saying "I believe what happened was...." meaning that she was NOT IN THE ROOM SUPERVISING THE CHILD AND THE DOG! She said that she "believes the dog was cornered" and she "believes the child had the dogs BONE!!" REALLY!! She "believes" the dog was going for the bone. Where is parental supervision here??? Who leaves a toddler in the room alone with a dog and it's bone?? If that isn't a set up for disaster, I don't know what is. And it could have been MUCH worse!

Dog is quarantined and now to be euthanized. Mom should be ashamed of herself as she could have prevented this entire scenario......such a shame.

Just my 2 cents....

Lezzpezz

Love4himies
December 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Here is the link to London Free Press:

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2007/12/12/4720050-sun.html

Who leaves a child alone in a room with a dog that has a bone?????

Is there no end to human stupidity :sad:?

Rottielover
December 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Being a mom myself owning what they call a ( viscious dog) yeah right, NO way would I leave my daughter with the dog alone. Harley or any dog.
If I walk out of my apt for a sec, Harley is in his crate.
I can not believe a parent can be that stupid.
Especially with a high prized item.
Poor child.....
RIP sweet doggie, not your fault, not the kids, but the moms

deerclan
December 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Being a pit bull owner myself and a father of 7 kids and 2 grand kids my dogs are never left alone with my younger children or my 2 grand kids,Definitely the mother of this child is an idiot in my opinion,whether it be a pitt bull or a one of those little designer breeds you never leave your dog alone with small kids period. Obviously the police thought the mother had gone through enough and didn't charge her for neglect,I wonder if there is a law for being a stupid parent. :mad:

Jim Hall
December 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
hjmmm it bit her and then moved away ?

So he really didnt attack her ? I mean the kid would have been toast if the dog really menat to attack.
You cant really teach a 22 month old how to handle a dog though.

SARAH
December 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Clearly the mom's fault! And no, it's not the Pit's breed that's at fault either! I've known a meek pit who wouldn't even kill a mouse, and heard of two "saussage dogs" killing a baby when the three were left alone in the room ...

Bone or no bone, kids and dogs must be supervised! Jail the mother and the kid goes to ... ? Foster home? At least give the mom strict instructions never to have a dog again or she will be fined/jailed!

lezzpezz
December 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Just checked the London Free Press 'opinion' pages online and there are several letters already, slamming the mom for her lack of supervision and breaking of the law where BSL is concerned. There are a number of folks I know who are talking to those in charge, trying to have charges laid, the dogs' life saved and making a LOT of noise on this case.

This is just the tip of the iceberg....

Lezzpezz

SARAH
December 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
GOOD, someone has to be the dog's lawyer here! Keep us posted :)

lezzpezz
December 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Boy, checking the London Free Press website Comments section and they have amassed dozens of letters from citizens who totally blame the mother here. Not one supporter, and the dog has total support from most contributors, although there are a few dingdongs that have issues with pit bulls in general and buy into BSL.

The concensus certainly is that the parent should be charged and never allowed to own a dog again. WOW! I haven't seen such an outcry over a bite incident, and such support for a dog who was being just that....a dog, protecting it's food.

I am waiting eagerly to see how this plays out. Go to the LFP and click on 'opinion', then 'letters to the editor', and click on the first dog story. To read more, just click on the word "animal" beside any of these letters to the editor and a slew of them will be listed.

I am pleased with the support and obvious brains that some folks have on this issue.

Lezzpezz

deerclan
December 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I have to disagree with Jim Hall you can teach a small child even one at 22 months how to behave around a dog,Just like i have taught my kids since they were small the do's and don'ts around animals,If my 1-1/2 year old grandson knows better, Than this Lady can teach her child to.But the fact of the matter is she left her child alone and should be charged period.

SARAH
December 12th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I have to disagree with Jim Hall you can teach a small child even one at 22 months how to behave around a dog,Just like i have taught my kids since they were small the do's and don'ts around animals,If my 1-1/2 year old grandson knows better, Than this Lady can teach her child to.But the fact of the matter is she left her child alone and should be charged period.

I agree on all but one count: "Lady" ???????

CearaQC
December 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM
That's sad.

From the story, it doesn't seem the dog would normally be vicious.

:candle: poor doggie

Where are all the comments on that site? I couldn't find where to read them.

want4rain
December 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
well sure you can teach a 22month old baby the do's and dont's of being around a dog but that kind of micromanaging of your child will bring other repercussion later. a barely 2yo does not have the capacity to rationalize his/her own actions. they do things because they want to or because mommy got upset enough it made an impact on them against what would naturally come to a child that age. as a mother to a 20m old little boy, gentle guidance will get you pretty far but expecting your child to obey the rules of being around a dog isnt reasonable. they dont know how to obey at that age. under 3yo or 2.5yo at the earliest is asking for confidence issues later in life. you can redirect them or remove them from the situation, not TEACH them. drives me bananas to hear parents to two year olds repeat SHARE!! like its something they can understand. thats a very complex idea!!!

to leave a child of that age alone with ANY dog under ANY circumstance is just plain stupid. Mister wouldnt hurt a..... well ok so he WOULD hurt a fly but he wouldnt intentionally hurt a PERSON but you know that big butt gets to turning around and Jeffrey is eating carpet and screaming around it. accidents happen and it doesnt have to be with their mouths. all it takes is falling on a block wrong, stepping on a dogs weenie... thats not just bad dog ownership but extremely bad bad parenting.

-ash

want4rain
December 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
for the record, i dont think you TEACH your toddlers how to be around dogs. you teach your dogs how to be around toddlers. the list of 'donts' for a toddler are way way way bigger than a list of 'donts' for a dog. to teach yourt toddler the 'donts' puts your dog ahead of your toddler in YOUR mind and your dogs too. if your dog understands that people are NOT for biding under ANY circumstance... 99.99999% of your work is cut out for you.

to teach any human being how to rrespect animals is done by compassion and example. your kindness and love towards animals will express itself in your children. :cool: when you rlittle girl comes home with a chill out note from the principal cause she punched another little girl for pulling a lizards tail off and then BRAGGING about it.... there is a sense of a job well done.

CearaQC very very very few dogs ARE vicious. many dogs arent taught respect or are put in positions to not respect people either by abuse or neglect. because of some dumb (lets fix this 'lady' title here) TWAT abused/neglected both her dog and her child, this amazing creature will loose its life. :mad:

-ash

lezzpezz
December 13th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Here's a lovely opportunity to voice your opposition to BSL:

Go to the London Free Press website and take the poll!

In your view, are pit bulls more dangerous than other dogs?
Yes
No

Paws

Love4himies
December 13th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I think you can explain to your child to not touch a dog, but you can't expect a toddler to understand and reason why as they don't have the brain development for it yet. For that reason, a parent must protect their child, never trusting the child to understand consequences of their actions (don't think they can, hell even some teenagers don't have that brain capacity yet) and not leave a dog alone with him/her.

Byrd
December 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I can't find the poll!!!! Found the letters, but not the poll.

angeldogs
December 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I can't find the poll!!!! Found the letters, but not the poll.

It was on the home page.i think they do a poll daily.80% said pitbulls were more dangerous.

waldo
December 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Jim Hall is right if that pit bull had went into attack mode it would have been a much different outcome. That fact that dog was only 8 months old most likley kept it from being much worse. I have been reading about this case for a few days and no one is asking why they had a 8 month old pitbull when they are banned on ONT?? Blame who ever you want for the attack, but the dog can't help being what it is and as long as there are people who have no buisness owning any dog let alone and ellegal one, this kind of thing or something worse will happen again and again.