Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Westies are eating everything in sight!!!

readbetter
December 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hi. I have 2 neutered male Westies, ages 2 and 3. McDuff was rescued from a puppy mill at age 13 months and McGregor was rescued from neglective owners and flown with my friends to me from Florida at age 3 months. They are wonderful dogs but they act more like goats than dogs. They eat everything in sight - acorns, sticks, wood, the backdoor molding, the legs of furniture and a piece of the kitchen wall. Then, of course, they throw up at night. Has anyone every encountered this kind of behavior and what did you do? They have every kind of chew toy available. They are confined to the kitchen when I work during the day but have lots of time to run in the yard before I go and when I get home and I try to give them lots of attention. Any ideas??? Thanks. :

erykah1310
December 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM
perhaps more actual excersize would help?
Im no expert, but running in the yard doesnt overly tire a dog out like a good walk would.
Myself, I tend to do more play time in the field with my dogs than actual structured walks, but when they start getting "out of hand" I make sure to do the walks for a few days which in my experience tires them out more.
Just a thought.

t.pettet
December 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
An hour long run in a safe area: fenced park where they can sniff, chase squirrels, wrestle and tear around. They're young dogs with energy to burn and this bad behaviour will only escalate if they're bored. Perhaps theres a friendly dog park near you?

Corrie
December 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I must agree with lots of exercise...I have a 3 year old Westie named Charlotte and I am also the Director of Westie Rescue in Ontario, so lots of little Westies pass through this house on their way to forever homes...and they need lots and lots of exercise. It's great that they can play in the backyard, but nothing beats a good long walk or a good long run at an off leash dog park. A tired Westie is a good Westie!!!!

Also, just wanted to say thanks and thanks again for saving these 2 Westies!!! You are an angel...it's folks like you who make my job a lot easier. :lovestruck: