Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stinky slobber related to canned food diet?

rjesak
December 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM
So, as many of you know, I recently (one or two months?) switched my cats over to an all cat food diet. I don't know if that's related to this or not. The guy who works at PetCo says it is and he MUST be right because he works at a pet store, right? :p

Anyway, one of my cats (and only one) has the stinkiest slobber. Actually, the other cats might have stinky slobber, but they don't slobber so I don't know. Gus has always drooled whenever he starts purring. I've noticed lately that it smells REALLY gross. It actually smells just like... Well, it smells like something that usually comes out the other end. :yuck::yuck:

The PetCo guy says that you should never feed your cats canned food because it causes them to have bad breath which causes their teeth to rot and heart disease. Heart disease???? How could bad breath cause heart disease? Not only that, but their breath is fine - including Gus. It usually smells like the cat food, or well, just breath. I'm pretty sure MY breath is worth than his - it's just his drool that smells bad.

So any ideas? Is it the cat food? I hope not, they're really happy on their new diet and Zander's lost 3 pounds!!! :highfive:

sugarcatmom
December 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Wow, well first of all, PetCo guy = moron. It's a shame that there are people who will probably believe the crap he's spewing, but I digress.

As for the stinky drool problem, that is a strange one. Never had that issue. Has Gus had a thorough oral exam at the vets recently? I'd be worried about what might be going on in his mouth, although if you say his actual breath doesn't stink, just the drool, then I have no idea what's up with that. Maybe a vet would have some idea.

And congratulations on Zander's weight loss, that's awesome!

Longblades
December 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
all cat food diet. What do you mean by this? Were they getting dog food before? Cats do need a food formulated for cats.

There are pros and cons to everything and one of the cons of any cat food is, probably because of the higher meat or meat products content, it smells more. Most Vet. techs will tell you they'd rather examine dog poop for worms than cat poop, because of the smell. Wet cat food is not as good for cat teeth (but it can be good for other reasons) and they can decay and smell terrible. I suggest a visit to the Vet to rule out dental hygiene concerns.

Of course all cats will react differently and maybe Gus just has teeth that are more susceptible to decay than the others do. Just like us.

And it is true that poor dental hygiene is just as bad for your pets as it is for you. Infections from rotten teeth can invade the bloodstream and death has been known to happen. A man in Toronto died when he could not afford dental care. I think it was this summer or it was brought to light this summer when another fellow also was in desparate need of dental care.

Kristin7
December 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I don't think it would be the cat food - what brand are you feeding? It does sound like your cat may need to have his teeth looked at by a vet, possibly he has some tooth decay or an abcess. Does he scratch at his face a lot? One of my cats had a couple of teeth that needed pulling and she was definitely in pain before that, scratching at her jaw a lot. The bacteria involved in tooth decay and gum disease can cause problems elsewhere in the body as they get in the blood stream. This happens in people too, incidently.

sugarcatmom
December 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
What do you mean by this? Were they getting dog food before? Cats do need a food formulated for cats.

No, the OP meant all CANNED food.

And absolutely dental health can have systemic effects on other organs. What I take issue with is the Petco dude saying that canned food will rot a cat's teeth.

jadams007
December 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
nothing but iams for me. plus a little bit of fancy feast as a treat

P.Nierlich
December 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I will be the first to admit that I can not stand the smell of soft cat food and have always fed my cats kibble. I have one cat however that is extremely over weight and I always purchase indoor or weight control food, I have limited the quantity only to have the cats drive me crazy. I recently came across this article which made a whole lot of sense so I am going to plug my nose and give it a try. http://ezinearticles.com/?Improve-Your-Cats-Health-and-Help-It-Lose-Weight&id=851153

Pam

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, it sounds like he might have an issue with his teeth or mouth than with the actual food. I feed mine a little bit of both, and they only ever have stinky breath when they are getting new teeth in, since they are all still kittens.

rjesak
December 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Sorry for the mis-type. I did of course mean all CANNED food diet. They were on kibble before.

I took Gus to the vet yesterday and the vet found absolutely nothing. He wasn't in the mood to purr (and thus didn't drool) but the vet took a sample of his saliva anyway. She thinks it's very odd that his breath smells just fine. She said she'd give me a call today. She checked his teeth and didn't see anything so she wants to schedule an xray of his teeth - he'll love that!

I'm very excited about Zander. He was my only overweight cat and, even though I think he eats as much as he likes, he's losing weight really well with the canned food.

What I've noticed is how much less water they drink. Wow!!! I used to have to refill their water dish two or three times a week - now, I empty it and refill it once a week just to make sure it's fresh!!!

LL1
December 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I would get a vet check on the stinky breath,and canned food is better for cats.