Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question... please help!

a_she_ly
December 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM
okay so here's the deal. a month ago today, i let my dog out(jager) to go to the bathroom and went back inside to finish cleaning then about ten minutes later to check on him and make sure he wasnt chewing on any neighbors stuff, we live in apartments. well i noticed he was laying by the door which he never does if outside. and when i bent to to pet him i noticed that his foot was broken(back right one). looking at it from the top view it was almost at a complete 45 degree angle, right above the paw...the part that isnt supposed to bend. i didnt have the money to take him to the vet that night so it had to wait til the next morning. but i did give him a bayer to help a lil bit, well needless to say the xrays proved it was indeed broken completely. we just took the splint off last night and gave him a bath finally. but now his toes are swollen a lil. and i dont know if it is cause he sneaks around to chew on them or what. they told us to watch his toes to make sure they werent swollen cause that would mean he had an infection. and we check them a few while he had the splint on and when we took off the splint and they havent been til this morning... and i dont know if i should wait to see if the swelling goes down or rush him to the vet???? it is scary, he is like my kid, so im kinda freaking out.... what should i do? i did put some vet wrap back on his leg so it wouldnt hurt so bad trying to walk since he hasnt been able to bend his leg for the last month.

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I can certainly understand your feelings, my cats are like my kids too.

If I were you I'd see if I could get an appointment to have him seen. You don't want to take any chances. And if you can, ask them to give you one of those collars. Maybe he's been messing with his toes and that's part of why they are swollen and not healing. At least the collar will hopefully keep him away from the toes.

Good luck!

phoozles
December 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I agree. If the vet told you to watch for swelling and you see swelling, you better give them a call. You can ask them to clarify how swollen they need to be before a visit is in order - they should help you over the phone.

Good luck!