Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a question for those with both cats and dogs

dmc123
December 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Fortunately with all these cats and dogs that live in this household, we have very few scuffles, but they do happen from time to time.

Could it be a personality difference?

Delaney, 8 1/2 yr old mixed breed dog has never attacked any of the cats, but she does growl if they even walk near her. They have all learned to make a wide berth around her.

Rudy, almost 12 yr old dog, never has attacked and has only growled if they are near his treats. The cats have attempted to get into his food, he steps back and lets me run them off, if I have not been paying attention.

Simon, 2+ yr old dog loves the kittens (Quads). They snuggle up to his neck while he is asleep. But Simon will go after Cody(cat) 16 1/2 yrs old when we least expect it. So far he hasn't hurt him but it sounds horrible when it happens.

Last night, roomie was reading in her bed, with Cody near her pillow and Simon at her feet. The other dogs were in there as well. She noticed that Cody and Simon were having a "stare down", then the ruckus began. Simon just went after poor old Cody. I got into her room as soon as I could, and fortunately Cody took off running to the kitchen, as was ok. When I got to him he was purring.

What could provoke such a thing? Why can Simon be so loving to the quads, and better now to Harley and Huxley(both cats that he didn't get along with at first) but jump Cody like that? Simon is such a sweet dog most of the time. Cody is very sweet cat, and getting older so he is not too busy in the house most times. He sleeps alot and cuddles near the fire.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Diane

want4rain
December 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
ive found that in the intercat relationships.... scuffles start from seemingly nothing that is actually a rude stare or irritated flick of the tail.... thieving of prime sleeping space...

Mister is super low on the totem pole here. our houses rooms are narrow so he has a hard time avoiding them. if he gets close enough to get slapped, he usually does.

ive found in the animal world that we totally miss the subtle body language of our furry family members. keep a very wary eye out and you might catch some of this elusive conversation. :)

-ashley

dmc123
December 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks

I understand the intercat relationship more than the inter-cat/dog relationship. Those sound scarier when they turn bad.

Diane

TeriM
December 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
We have two cats and two dogs. One of the cats is very comfy with the dogs and consequently never gets chased. Riley will occasionally chase the other one and i am very careful when my mom's dog is over because he would also like to chase her. I believe she gets chased because of her body language, she is much more cautious around them. Nothing ever happens, she just jumps up to high ground and doesn't get too stressed out.

I find the biggest key to preventing the activity is to make sure that the dog never locks on eye contact with her. I usually just make a "uh-uh" noise, followed with "leave the cat alone" and that usually breaks the eye contact and averts the crisis.

dmc123
December 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks, TeriM, we'll have to try to more now....

Diane

Longblades
December 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
My only suggestion is that for the safety of the cats, whatever you do to try to resolve it, never trust it to work all the time, especially if you are not present to intervene.

We had an ESS who was deathly jealous (now it's called resource guarding) of our cat. For over ten years we lived with cat and dog in separate parts of the house. Yet the dog happily shared a kennel with the two Vet clinic cats when she went for treatment of some kind. When I went to pet one of the clinic cats once, in her presence, she turned on it in a flash.

Our previous Lab girl loved a kitten but chased his mother when they were outside. I always suspected there was no real animosity, it was just that mother cat always ran. One day mother cat stopped running and the dog had to put the brakes on at the last minute. It was priceless to see, just like in a cartoon with the dog's front legs stretched out to stop. The cat never ran again and the dog never chased her again. That was just lucky for us, I wouldn't count on it happening.

Frenchy
December 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I have a peace and love house :laughing: but if one of the cats gets near Sam or Ben (both dogs) when they eat , the dogs will growl but that's about it. Bailey doesn't care and Nelly eats in her crate , in peace.

So sorry , I don't have any advice.

SARAH
December 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Me neither, but Sheba ... the possesive old glue-pot ... if Misti is on Lewis' lap, Sheba will nose-butt her off of him! Lucky for Misti, she's as stubborn as the dog and comes right back, looking at Sheba with an "hey, he's my human too, back off" and curls up again. Last night they did that 5-6 times before Lewis told Sheba that it was enough, to leave the pussycat alone!

But ... Shebs does that with me too! :sad:

want4rain
December 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Hunter (im his pet) likes to surprise Mister by sitting in his kennel door on occasion. he has done this 3 times over the last year?? poor Mister goes to get into his kennel for bed and here is this black cat stopping him at the door. once i didnt SEE Hunter in there and swatted Mister on the butt to get a move on and the poor thing couldnt have squished himself up in a smaller ball between me and cat. :laughing: you know... obey mom but the cat comes first!!!

i find it interesting that the dogs are higher on the totem pole in your house. we are all ranked by assets. cats have claws, they are the top. mom protects baby at all costs so he comes next. mom has food and bosses everyone around except Hunter so she comes after the baby. Chris and Cailyn are (i think) on the same footing as Mister, someone to challenge anyway. they dont have food OR claws OR someone who protects them. they only have petting which is shared, not allocated.

-ashley

Janie123
December 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Dogs and cats CAN be corrected but you have to be on top of things. Anytime a dog growls,do what Caesar Milan does....it works. Correct them. First,with a touch. Never let them look at their target after you do this. And keep doing it until you have success.
A friend of mine has a dog that barks constantly. I went over and every time he barked,I touched him and said,"NO". It took awhile but he eventually listened to me. I had to,at one point,turn him over on his side saying,"NO!". If he so much as glanced at another dog,I touched him and said,"NO!"
My friend said it stopped the barking.
Yes,I am a Caesar Milan fan. :crazy:
Cats are a bit harder but they can be taught,really.

Ford Girl
December 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
My critters egg each other on for sure, cats do it in a more subtle way, Pubert will lay in her way, stare at her, block her path and when she tries to go by he "attacks" her and she backs away as fast as she can, BUT on the other hand if Pubert goes near Dazy's food or water bowls, even when empty, she growls and barks at him and chases him away.

Look for the looks and body language as TeriM told you to do, and scold even the slightest interest in the cat, ears perked, staring, tail wagging, and move the cat if it's the cat that's looking for trouble. Or both if they are at it.

Good luck!!! :D

dogcatharmony
December 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
With my three (two cats and one dog) I allow absoulutely no growling or chasing at all. If you allow it to happen you are just looking for problems. I would never let my dog growl at anyone or anything because of food or toys, if the dog is going to get protective over a toy it is taken away, if it is food well then the good ol' nothing in life is free training starts again.

When I first brought my dog home I started showing her her rank in the "pack". I eat first, the cats eat second, the dog eats last. Any growling or chasing was stopped with a gruff "NO!" When the cats got more comfy with the dog and started coming downstairs more often, I leashed my dog and tied her to my waist, any move she made to chase was stopped with a quick turn and a gruff "NO!"

It's been almost four years and the cats and dog get along well, at night they all sleep in the same bed and share all three water dishes with no growling or fighting. They all share respect for each other and allow each other the space they sometimes need, if the dog gets overly nosey like she sometimes does all I need to say now is "nevermind" and she leaves the cats alone.

Janie123
December 11th, 2007, 04:39 PM
You did the right thing,dogcatharmony!

Janie123
December 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
You did the right thing,dogcatharmony!

dmc123
December 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Let me state that despite some growls and snarling - those never go unnoticed or unpunished! I am not as good as Cesar Milan is, but the dogs know it is not ok. And the cats do "start" some of it, so I always try to distract them as well.

I do try to keep on top of it...it can be hard when I don't even see it is about to start.

I was just wondering if others had this issue - and feel somewhat better in a way that I am not alone. Will keep on watching and guarding all my critters.

Thanks again,
Diane

dogcatharmony
December 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Please don't take what I said the wrong way dmc, I just don't tolerate any foolishness in my house. In both ways I have seen the damage a cat and dog can do to each other. My one cat got ahold of my sister's boyfriends dog and tore that poor dog to peices just for growling at him( the dog was a very large dog), my one cat is fearless and a wrong nose or wrong noise from the dog he doesn't back down. I have also seen a cat badly mauled from a dog ( same household) they lived together for eight years, one day the dog just snapped the cat up. They both can be severly hurt by each other.

Because the cats have been around in my house longer (eleven years) they know when I say "hey enough" and mean business. Not saying my cats are totally innocent, they get told also and then moved to another room if not behaving. But with the dog, it is so easy for the "prey" drive to be peaked that just letting your dog once in awhile chase a cat can turn out ugly. One growl and snap the cat is hurt, especially having an older cat being chased....I don't find that funny. If that had been me the moment I saw the dog notice the cat my foot would have been down. There is no need for any growling or chasing, not even one lip curl.........the price is just to high.

dmc123
December 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks dogcatharmony, your opinion is very appreciated. I do need to watch more, especially since I realize Simon has issues with 2 of the cats, and they him.

Take care,
Diane

happycats
December 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
With my three (two cats and one dog) I allow absoulutely no growling or chasing at all. If you allow it to happen you are just looking for problems. I would never let my dog growl at anyone or anything because of food or toys, if the dog is going to get protective over a toy it is taken away, if it is food well then the good ol' nothing in life is free training starts again.

When I first brought my dog home I started showing her her rank in the "pack". I eat first, the cats eat second, the dog eats last. Any growling or chasing was stopped with a gruff "NO!" When the cats got more comfy with the dog and started coming downstairs more often, I leashed my dog and tied her to my waist, any move she made to chase was stopped with a quick turn and a gruff "NO!"

It's been almost four years and the cats and dog get along well, at night they all sleep in the same bed and share all three water dishes with no growling or fighting. They all share respect for each other and allow each other the space they sometimes need, if the dog gets overly nosey like she sometimes does all I need to say now is "nevermind" and she leaves the cats alone.

I totally agree!!

Although I don't have a dog of my own I have fostered and dog sat, as well as have my neighbours dog here often for visits.
I like you will not tolerate a dog growling, staring, or chasing the cats!!

I last dog sat my friends wheaten/poodle mix last year at this time, Lucky :rip:was 17 years old, and still as fearless as the day I got him:rolleyes:
and Coco (the dog) kept trying to chase and go after lucky! and would guard her food (she didn't want to eat it, just guard it)
So I had to straighten her out really fast, Lucky's life depended on it.
I don't know if she want after him because he was old, or he intimidated her, but for some reason it was him she focused on the most.

As Dogcathamony posted, the dogs need to know thecats are above them in the pack. It's also much easier to train a dog to leave the cats alone then it is to train the cats to stop running away, or instigating:rolleyes: