Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

West Highalnd Terrier

deirdre001
December 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hi, my 3 year old westie has been into this anal frenetic activitiy of sniffing and scratching our rugs and or hard woods incessantly. He will walk around the room doing this until we tell him to stop in which case sometimes he does and then sometimes he keeps doing it.

We brought a new puppy into the house over a year ago, and the young westie who is a female is definitely making her presence known. The other dog (Finley) was master of the house until she came along.

Does anyone know what may be causing this very annoying behavior in Finley. Sophie, the young one, is cute as a button and loves to play with him. I can't imagine this is the sole reason.

I am 5 months pregnant, my husband seems to think Finley can smell this off of me....and this may be causing the activity. If anyone can shed any light on this, we would be most grateful!

Thank you,
Deirdre

SARAH
December 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I had a westie, Malice :rip: she literally rotted up in front of our eyes ... severe skin allergies became gangrenous and ... bye bye little cutie! (yes, we did take her to the vet, and she did get meds and creams, but nothing helped, so we had to put her out of her misery).

I know only of her as far as westies, but also had an Airdale (at the same time, adorable but clingy like all rescues). IMO, terriers can be temperamental and nervous.

Yours could well sense that you are pregnant and possibly not understand what the smell means. It could worry him and terefore make him act weird to atract attention possible. I don't think it's Spohie, he would have reacted to her sooner I think.

If it is your scent change that bothers him, make sure your husband brings home dirty diapers and unwashed clothes the baby has worn at the hospital along with your clothes while you are still there. That way he will know the baby already before you get home and the new being won't be so scary to him.

One little thing, I don't want to scare you but you want to be safe too, so ...
I read in a French newspaper a few years ago of two Dachshunds who had killed the family's newborn baby out of jealousy. They had the run of the house and were allowed on the sofa, arrives baby and they are turned down to the floor, no more sofa. Jealous, they saw their chance when the mother (stupidly, but who would have thought) left the baby on the sofa alone for a few moments while she went to ... get a bottle, the door, the phone, I don't remember which ... 5 minutes was all it took.

Just to say, even small dogs are wolves in civilized disguise, so you need to keep an eye on the events.

Oh ... and congratulations on the :stork-baby: :thumbs up

14+kitties
December 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Just a thought... has Sophie been scooting? If that is what is going on then he is reacting to HER smell on the carpets and floors. You never said if they were fixed or not. If not could she be in heat? I would think his new annoying habit is a reaction to something Sophie is doing or going through.

t.pettet
December 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Westies are prone to skin conditions and chronic itching, does he appear to be rubbing himself on the carpets? He might need a anti-histamine or diet change.