Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fagan... AGAIN! And a Global PF in NF.

krdahmer
December 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Argh! :frustrated: I thought I was on top of this skin/allergy/flea/food thing and we had a really good couple of months there. And whammo... the other day I noticed Fagan had a couple spots, upped the holistic stuff but it was too late, had to take him for yet another Depo shot on Friday. :shrug: He had his legs bald and three other spots overnight! Anyhow I talked to the vet and the most likely culprit is still fleas... grrr :yell:. I treat my guys, all six with revolution or advantage all this year, I have sprayed the house now 3 times with vetchem. I don't see any on the cats, I am careful what I wear when I go to the vets/ pet stores/ others houses, and change when I come home, and clean and vacuum at least twice a week!!! What is happening I think is that just before this bout, hubby's friends were over to watch a movie, they have a dog, four cats and a mess of a house and I mean MESS. They don't treat any of the animals for fleas and I am beginning to think they are bringing us little hostess gifts I REALLY DONT WANT!!! So I have asked hubby to talk to his friend, and until we find a solution they won't be coming here and he has to strip outside if he goes there. I just can't have Fagan having these shots every couple of months because they are too lazy to clean their house and treat their pets!!!:mad: ( Plus it would be cheaper for us to treat theirs than ours!!!)

There done venting... oh and I feel like such a boob, there has been one of those Global Pet Foods here in the falls two whole months now... and I drive and walk by it all the time and never noticed. Went in today and actually picked up some frozen raw food to try ( brilliant that way I don't actually have to touch it!). Can't afford to feed that all the time but I figure if they like it, it's a nice treat for them. And now my mom doesn't have to drive all the way to St. kitts for the California Naturals too. Prices seemed reasonable to me, how do you all find their prices?

chico2
December 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Dahmer,I am so sorry to hear about Fagan and I hope you don't have fleas in the house again:fingerscr
I've only been to Global Pets once and that was last week after a suggestion by Breeze.
The owner very kindly promised to order me Chicken-Soup-for-catlovers-soul,which my regular store stopped selling,so that store gets a definet:thumbs upfrom me.
Don't know about their prices,I did not really check..
I saw the frozen stuff at Pet Smart,but it was only for dogs,did not know they sell it for cats too.

14+kitties
December 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM
So sorry for Fagan's troubles. Sounds like he's been having a rough time of it poor little beggar. :fingerscr it gets better for him quickly.

krdahmer
December 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys, I am a little concerned that he is still raw in the booby area, not sure if he is just keeping it clean or if he is still going at it, once before the shot didn't work, I'm affraid that might be the case again. :sad:

And the Global here has two freezers full of the raw frozen, its for cats or dogs (came in chicken or lamb which is great here cause lamb is ok for Fagan), and its in neat little medallions so I'm gonna take a few out and give them a try with Palomine cause he is off the dry food again (when it rains it pours around here)... I'll cut one into smaller pieces and try the others but not expecting rave reviews from the picky eaters.

Frenchy
December 11th, 2007, 09:56 PM
How can there be fleas in your house if you use Advantage ? I had to use it twice , 2 separate occasion , and with only one treatment (per pets) everything was ok ? You vet might be wrong and it's only food allergies ?

chico2
December 12th, 2007, 07:57 AM
That's what I was thinking too and if one has fleas,all of them would.
Also I know I would see the fleas,especially on Vinnie.

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Poor Fagan. Maybe there is something around the house that's causing his problem other than fleas. As the others said, if one had fleas, wouldn't the others?

Love4himies
December 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Fleas can come into a house on humans and jump off into the carpet and quickly jump on a pet. My indoor only cats got fleas and the vet thinks they must have come in on our socks/pants, etc. I believe Revolution or Advantange only works once the fleas have bitten their host so that could set off poor Fagan's allergies.

I do all my shopping at Global Pet Foods in Kingston and I find their prices reasonable. They carry two brands of Raw- Pawsitively Raw and Raw Instinct. Pawsitively Raw is sold in small plastic containers (same size as small margarine containers) and ranges in price from 2.29-2.89 (Chicken, Turkey, and Salmon). Raw Instinct is sold in larger bags so I don't buy it, I think is about $15 a bag.

krdahmer
December 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Fleas can come into a house on humans and jump off into the carpet and quickly jump on a pet. My indoor only cats got fleas and the vet thinks they must have come in on our socks/pants, etc. I believe Revolution or Advantange only works once the fleas have bitten their host so that could set off poor Fagan's allergies.

I do all my shopping at Global Pet Foods in Kingston and I find their prices reasonable. They carry two brands of Raw- Pawsitively Raw and Raw Instinct. Pawsitively Raw is sold in small plastic containers (same size as small margarine containers) and ranges in price from 2.29-2.89 (Chicken, Turkey, and Salmon). Raw Instinct is sold in larger bags so I don't buy it, I think is about $15 a bag.

Ya I really think that is the issue as my hubby's best friend, our neighbour has a house full of fleas and I am positive I can directly relate this incident to them coming over to watch a movie about a week or so ago. I think they are delivering the problem.

And ya the revolution kills the fleas after they bite which is why I have the house sprayed too so that they have no safe harbour here... but Fagan is more social with company now, which means that just one flea jumping from his daughters pant onto Fagan is enough to start him ripping off his skin!:frustrated::mad::yell: I am so careful and everyone else who visits is responisible with their pets, and I know that there are none living here or on the other cats... so that leaves our neighbour, either when they come here or when hubby hangs out there. I just don't understand how they can live with fleas like that. And their poor pets, I've always had issues with how they treat their pets and how horrendous their home is (and the fact that they have two capable teenagers baffles me:rolleyes:). I finally put my foot down with hubby as I have been telling him for quite some time to talk to them about the fleas, and after this time around, I have told him they can't come here until something is done ( I actually joked that he would have to meet him halfway down the street and outside). I don't want to be mean or look crazy, but I have to put Fagan's welfare first. He broached the subject with his friend the other day and I have said that if they do want to take care of it, I can offer advice on how to. I mean for the 100 bucks it may cost them it could save us thousands!!!

And the raw I bought is called Natures Variety... ever heard of it?

Love4himies
December 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
And the raw I bought is called Natures Variety... ever heard of it?

Yes I have, but that is the raw that is very expensive and can only buy a big bag. Apparently they do offer a small trial size, but the Global where I shop have not ordered any so I haven't tried it.

krdahmer
December 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Ya the one here had the small bags for about $5., it only has about 16 medallions in it and 4-5 is a serving, so ya it is pretty expensive if you fed that exclusivley I guess. I just got it to try to see if any of them would be interested. Maybe if they are I'll try the ones you mentioned.

SARAH
December 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
And the Global here has two freezers full of the raw frozen, its for cats or dogs (came in chicken or lamb which is great here cause lamb is ok for Fagan), and its in neat little medallions so I'm gonna take a few out and give them a try with Palomine cause he is off the dry food again (when it rains it pours around here)... I'll cut one into smaller pieces and try the others but not expecting rave reviews from the picky eaters.

Mine didn't like it, even Sheba who generally swallows anything you give her without asking what it is first, after the first she turned her nose up at the next. Dani won't touch raw anything! Misti is really fond of raw ground beef, veal or turkey that I give her when we're having it (cooked) but she wasn'thappy with the pet-raw at all.

Crazy those peple, eh?! I wonder if they get bites too? I mean, fleas DO bite humans too, I even knew a guy who had to have shots, his bites were so bad (he'd crawled into an old attick, guess it had a nest of some sort filled with fleas while the occupants were out). Fagan sure doesn't need visits like that, and neither do you!