Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thoughts or ideas on helping at Christmas?

Winston
December 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I know this is a pets forum but I thought I would pose this question to see what type of responses I get..

What do you all do to give back at Christmas? I am looking for some different or creative ways to make someone’s Christmas brighter…Here are a few examples of things I participate in or arrange for:

1) Operation Christmas Child
This is where we pack up shoeboxes full of little toys, sanitary items, soaps, toothbrushes, whatever can fit in a shoebox basically. They are separated by ages 2 – 12 years old. Then they are collected and shipped overseas or to third world country’s….We did 50 this year….

2) I call this one Operation Doggy! (it’s a spinoff from the one above)
My girlfriend who is involved in a rescue for German Shepherds and I pack up shoebox’s full of doggy toys!! We then ship those to the wonderful foster families that have continually supported GSD rescue and who we know are not well off so to speak, but would do anything to help rescue a dog! So the foster doggies they have each get a big shoebox full of treats and toys.

3) At work I have talked my coworkers into sponsoring a family at Christmas time….We have done this for the past 3 years and it is a rewarding experience. We choose the size of family, receive a family through one the Organizations here and then go and buy them their Christmas Gifts. We also are required to purchase Gift Certificates for their Christmas meal…This is fun too!

This year we have a single mom with 3 children….and it has been fun because one of the children is a 1 yr old baby…which is so much fun to buy for! (can you tell I don’t have kids!)

3) We also have a Stuffing and Cranberry drive…this year a local church needs at least 300 boxes for their hampers so we are working on that one as well….

So everyone any creative ideas or ones that you do already that you care to share?

Cindy

breeze
December 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
collect warm socks, mitts, or gloves, scarfs, hats and blankets and wrap them up and give them to the homeless..

Winston
December 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Good idea Breeze! I could call that one operation warmth! cool! (I seem to have this thing with the word operation?? :laughing:

Thank you!

Frenchy
December 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM
One thing I promise I will do as soon as I can afford it : I would like for everyone in my family (myself included) to invite someone they know who will be alone for x-mas , at my house for x-mas supper. I don't know if my family would get into it , but I sure will !

pbpatti
December 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I am the type of person who cannot see anyone be alone at Christmas time or any other holiday but Christmas is special. My husband and I have not invited anyone recently (we don't know anyone alone) but as a teenager and a young adult I would invite and sometimes forget to stop.

My roommate and I were having thanksgiving dinner one year and invited my family hers did not live here, but we did not stop there we started to invite friends who did not have anywhere to go. I think we ended up having 18 people to dinner in our 2 bedroom apartment.

We had people eating off of the ironing board, coffee table and their own laps. I have to say that it is one of the most memorable thanksgivings I have had.

My Mom would always have enough food incase we invited our friends who had no where to go. She was happy to share our meals.

Patti ,

thanks for the thread, I'm not sure if it still is on topic or not:shrug:

Shaykeija
December 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I donated toys, collars, leashes, harnesses, new blankets and treats to Furbaby rescue. I also send them money. This year we decided not to buy gifts and donated money to various animal rescue groups.

luckypenny
December 11th, 2007, 12:36 AM
This year we decided not to buy gifts and donated money to various animal rescue groups.

...which is what we decided to do this year as well. I hate shopping anyways :o.

I also go to the local Salvation Army and pick up men's warm sweaters, coats, mitts and hats in good condition, wash them all, and bring them to work with me. When I see homeless men not dressed well, I offer the clothing to them. Last winter, there was a gentleman (who I suspect has schizophrenia) who came several mornings a week to shovel the snow away from our storefront in exchange for a sandwich, juice, coffee...and I'd always have warm socks or mitts or a hat for him. I guess he kept losing the ones I had previously given him. Either that or he stockpiled them somewhere :D :o . Haven't seen him so far this winter though :shrug:, I kinda miss him.