Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat acting weird

jimo1120
December 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
My cat is named Juneau. He's 3 and a half years old, and is mixed with simese and tabby I believe, (talks a lot). Anyway's, he was fixed right after I got him, I think about 8 to 10 weeks old. Every now and then he really acts weird. I think he gets the feelings, that a cat gets when they go in heat. Is that possible? Would appreciate anyone that knows the answer to this question, and if so, is there anything to do about it? Thank you for your time, Jim

Jim Hall
December 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
yes its possible if they miss some ovary It also may just be affectionate behavior towards you

sugarcatmom
December 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
What do you mean by weird? What sort of behaviour does he exhibit?

jimo1120
December 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
What do you mean by weird? What sort of behaviour does he exhibit?

First of all, he's and indoor outdoor cat. At night, he'll go out on the patio, and usually after asking to come in and out a few times through out the night, he come's in at around 7:00 a.m. and is in for the day, time to sleep. There are a few occasions when he asks to come in the morning trough the sliding glass door in my bedroom, then goes directly to the door in the living room, (which leads to the same patio), meows weirdly (frantic sounding), and want's to go out. If I let him out, he's gone for the day. This just started happening recently, maybe once every couple weeks for the last two months. The problem is, he's the most smart and paranoid pet I've every seen. He knows he's part of the food chain, and he hates it outside during the day.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Is it possible to have a testicle left in like an ovary? I know if the kitty is neutered very young and the testicles have not dropped, it is more difficult to neuter.

My neutered male reacted to my foster momma when she went into heat (mounted and tried, but quickly lost interest to go play with the kittens :D). He was neutered late in life though (approx 5 yrs old) so he may have had some "experience" in his life and that is why he reacted :shrug:. My other neutered male (:rip:) totally ignored a female cat that went into heat when he was around.

I wonder if a vet can do blood work to check hormone levels?

Janie123
December 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Let him stay inside. They live longer that way,honestly. :):thumbs up

sugarcatmom
December 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I doubt this is a hormone thing, I think he's just out exploring and being a cat. Maybe there's someone else out there who thinks he's homeless and is feeding him or even keeping him inside during the day. Unfortunately, that's the risk you take if you let your cats roam free.

krdahmer
December 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I doubt this is a hormone thing, I think he's just out exploring and being a cat. Maybe there's someone else out there who thinks he's homeless and is feeding him or even keeping him inside during the day. Unfortunately, that's the risk you take if you let your cats roam free.

That could very well be the case, free roaming cats face many many dangers and no matter how smart they are can get hurt. Or as Sugarcatmom suggested people like, well me, assume they have no home because they are around so often, begin to feed them and either take them in ourselves or rehome them.

As for the behaviour, neutering is no guarantee that they will never spray or hump things. Many neutered males still have those behaviours. And if he goes out it can also be a territorial thing, like another cat or animal encroaching on what he thinks is his territory.