Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I treat for heartworm?

shan
June 3rd, 2004, 09:05 AM
I know that I am probably being completely paranoid about this, but I need other peoples opinions to calm my fear...I live in Alberta and have been told by 2 vets in the area that preventing heartworm here in Alberta is unneccessary because the temperatures are too cool. I am planning on taking Annie to Sask. for a camping trip this summer (end of June) and was told that this is the case there as well, however everytime I see a mosquito I get worried again!! Does anyone know if I should be using a preventative?

AM04
June 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
You can never worry too much about your loved one. I know alot of ppl who live around you, and still get their dogs, and cats, treated for heartworm. It's better to be safe than sorry, right? ;)

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
I've been to Alberta, and saw lots of mosquitos. It only takes ONE to give your dog heartworm. I would use preventative, it's much easier and less expensive to prevent heartworm than it is to treat it.

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2004, 11:23 AM
I would go ahead and treat your pets becuase if you give them the medicine now to prevent it than it will cost alot less than if they get it and you have to take care of it than. Just my opinion though. :D

mona_b
June 3rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
I totally agree with the others.Better to be safe then sorry.

My boys are on HeartGard.They got tested in May,it came out negative.They are on it once a month till Oct.

As LR said,it's worse to treat Heartworms.