Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for those who have sibling cats

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I've noticed, more so lately, that Kiska and Maks love to sleep very close to each other, if not right on top of each other.

Earlier I was taking a nap, and Maks was upstairs with me. I woke up when I heard Kiska wailing. I called to her and she came upstairs. At first I thought she might have been missing me, but then I realized it was Maks she was looking for. She went straight for him.

Right now they're sleeping on top of the kitty gymp. They look like the Ying/Yang symbol.

I know they have a bond, but I wonder if this is something that will grow stronger as they both age.

Any of you out there that have sibling cats find this to be true?

Winston
December 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I've noticed, more so lately, that Kiska and Maks love to sleep very close to each other, if not right on top of each other.

Earlier I was taking a nap, and Maks was upstairs with me. I woke up when I heard Kiska wailing. I called to her and she came upstairs. At first I thought she might have been missing me, but then I realized it was Maks she was looking for. She went straight for him.

Right now they're sleeping on top of the kitty gymp. They look like the Ying/Yang symbol.

I know they have a bond, but I wonder if this is something that will grow stronger as they both age.

Any of you out there that have sibling cats find this to be true?

Ancientgirl! Mine have that bond! Most days anyway...it is so funny though...Bomber will be looking for Tabitha and if he cannot locate her he lets out this wail! almost like a yodel! and she usually comes running!

Other days they could do without one another! But you most definately can see a bond between brother and sister...

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
That's a wonderful thing to see.

dogcatharmony
December 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM
When my cat Amos' sister was still alive ( she passed of a stroke when she was one year old RIP sweet Peanut) he took care of her and never let her out of his eyesight. She was very ill as a kitten but I took her anyways and gave her the best possible life, She never got more than a pound and Amos would play so gentle with her ( Amos was 14 pounds at a year old) and then he would cuddle up with her and groom her till she fell asleep. He would sit in the hallway at call her when it was dinner time then clean her face for her after dinner was over. They were inseperable.

After Peanut passed he went into a deep depression, so I adopted another cat. There get along okay but nothing like littermates. Him and his sister's bond was very strong even at a year old.

14+kitties
December 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM
When my cat Amos' sister was still alive ( she passed of a stroke when she was one year old RIP sweet Peanut) he took care of her and never let her out of his eyesight. She was very ill as a kitten but I took her anyways and gave her the best possible life, She never got more than a pound and Amos would play so gentle with her ( Amos was 14 pounds at a year old) and then he would cuddle up with her and groom her till she fell asleep. He would sit in the hallway at call her when it was dinner time then clean her face for her after dinner was over. They were inseperable.

After Peanut passed he went into a deep depression, so I adopted another cat. There get along okay but nothing like littermates. Him and his sister's bond was very strong even at a year old.

OMG What a sweet story!!!!! :cry: I need a tissue now. :cry:

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
:cry: That was beautiful. It's the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

Dracko
December 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I have 5 cats. The oldest is 14 and I adopted her at 2. At the time I had a brother and sister (cats, of course :p) who were 7. They were really close and never let the 2 year old "in" to their circle. The 2 older ones have since passed away.

I adopted Ginkgo at 6 months and Smitty at 4 months in the same year. They are extremely close and groom each other often. I catch them sleeping together a lot. So they are not littermates but are still quite close.

The last 2 kittens I adopted are sisters. I "assumed" they would be joined at the hip and sleep together, etc. Nope. :sad: I NEVER see them sleeping together, grooming each other, etc. Frankly, they are almost never even in the same room. They certainly don't dislike each other and will play but not any more than they do with the other cats. In a way I like that they don't as they are affectionate with ALL the cats and that's better than them being so bonded they don't interact with the other 3. But it would be so cool to see them cuddled up all the time together and looking for each other.

And actually when it come to "bonding." Of all my animals I'd say Smitty has the strongest bond to my GSD, Dracko. If I'm a room, the other cats and Dracko and Smitty walks in, it's a guarante he'll walk over and lay with Dracko.

I hope Maks and Kiska keep that close bond. But, man, is it ever nice to see pictures with all of them and see that Vlad and Oksana have accepted the younger ones. But have you thought when you get your fifth one who will she bond with????? It will be an odd number. :eek:

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Dracko, I've wondered who the new cat may bond with. I don't know if she'd be a solitary cat or if she'd want to be with any of the others. I don't know how long she's been on her own, and I really don't even know how old she might be.

Hopefully, things will work out. She may not even like being an indoor cat. I've got so many questions running around in my head right now but we shall at least have answers to some of them soon.

Melinda
December 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM
when I was first married , we adopted a 3 month old Chi and a 6 week old kitten, they were like siblings and slept together all the time, at age 9 when my cat passed away, (at the vets) the chi sat up in bed, lifted her head and let out a hell of a howl, something she had never previously did, I didn't know chi's could howl, she shook for awhile, then gradually laid down with us and went to sleep, she never howled again and we lost her 3 months later. They are buried together in our back yard.

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oh how sad! It's incredible how much animals can sense. I will never understand people who think they are emotionless brainless creatures.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
When one of my foster kittens are looking for their litter mates, they howl until one comes so I am thinking it may be common. When momma howls, they all go running to her.

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Kiska has done that a few times. I've recently taken to napping on the weekends, and one or two of the cats will wind up in bed upstairs with me.

The first time, Vlad, Oksana and Maks were upstairs with me. I was woken up by a very distressing meow. Kiska realized Maks wasn't anywhere around. When I called her and she came upstairs she saw him and immediately went to him.

rjesak
December 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Of my six cats, there are two sets of siblings (a brother and a sister, and two sisters). The two sisters have a very strong bond and often sleep with (or on top of) each other. The brother/sister pair don't have any such bond at all. Oddly, the brother of that pair has a clear bond with an older cat, Gus, who is unrelated to any of them.

When there are strangers in my house, Gus and Zander only make appearances together. They won't come out alone unless I'm the only one in the house. Misty and Storm will cry and search the house for each other if they can't find them right away.

I think it a lot of ways they're like people. There are those that they have a stronger connection with and those that they don't.

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know if their bond will always be, but for now they are pretty inseparable. They aren't always playing together, but they are usually in the same room with each other. And as long as they can see where the other is, they're okay.

Jim Hall
December 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM
An even stranger one is the one my labrador stoner had with my daughter's 4 lb orange cat sherbert they were in seperable
Sherbert would curl up on top of stoner or curl up between his paws and sleep that way all night

When I took stoner for walks sherbert used to climb on top of him and hitch a ride When stoner passed away, sherbert was inconsolble t the point we were woerried about her health

Cats pick thier bond mates very carefully i think and pick the people and animals the respond to equally as carefully

We have a number of cats at the cattery that have bonded to each other, both siblings and non siblings and it's a real pain in the butt cause we relly want them to adopted together.

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Vlad and Oksana have an odd relationship. They groom each other often, and Vlad sometimes sleeps next to her when she's asleep, but for the most part, when she's awake he's always trying to dominate her. I think he's just trying to play, but he's just too rough about it.

I know he adores her, but the little guy just doesn't know how to treat a lady sometimes. And Oksana can be kind of a little Diva:D

krdahmer
December 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
The only siblings I have are Fagan and Asker, and they are two litters apart from a feral momma and stray papa cat. And you could say they have a bond... not one I want to encourage though, Fagan likes to get 'frisky' with his little sister!:eek::yuck:

Before I took in all these others, my first two girls, Windy and Smoke were inseperable! I even came home one day to find them snuggled in the top of the cat tree with their arms around each other looking out the window.:lovestruck: They still cuddle and groom each other in passing but Smoke has been so out of sorts she's just not big on cuddling anymore.

My favorite ones are when I walk in to find the unlikely snugglers... like Buddy butt to butt with Smoke, where she must have been in a deep sleep and he snuck up and inched his way next to her... like ha! look how close I am.... na na na na na! And as soon as they realize who they are snuggled to, it's all hissing and running! :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
LOL, well I'm getting Maks and Kiska S&N at the end of the month. I don't want to be a witness to any of those odd encounters. LOL, my vet checked Maks on Saturday and she said "If I can feel them, I can snip them". The little guy has quite a package, just like Vlad did. LOL.

This morning they were play fighting. Maks is a bit if a character, that's for sure, but once he gets bigger, I think it will be nice to have someone Vlad can rough it out with instead of poor Oksana.