Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

You're 2 Cents Requested Please

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I'll try to keep this short :o .

Earlier this evening, a young fella walks into our store and asks me for a job. I ask if he has a cv and he pulls an envelope out of his inner coat pocket. All that's written on the sheet within is his name, phone #, and address. I ask if he has had any prior experience and he says no but is willing to learn and work hard.

From the corner of my eye, I can see some of the other employees rolling their eyes and hear them snickering :frustrated: . You see, this lad had on a biker-type leather jacket, half his hair was dyed a bright blue and the other half a bright pink. A skull and cross bone bandana tied around his head.

He doesn't flinch...I'm sure he heard the snickering too. He says he's willing to work 7 days a week but can't work past midnight. I ask if he can at least offer me a reference from a teacher he's had in the past. Now he bows his head and just nods no. My curiosity got the better of me and I ask how old he is. He says 13 :eek: . I figured around 16 or so. I explain it is illegal to hire a 13 year old for full time work and that he really ought to be in school. He justs shrugs and repeats he's looking for full-time work.

Other than the hair and 'tough' style clothing, he really looks clean. I took a good look at his face, hands, clothes and he didn't strike me as one of the many squeegie or street kids we have here in Montreal. Besides, he gave me a home address. I told him to give me a couple of days to think about what it is I can offer him in regards to work.

Needless to say, I couldn't help but lay into the other employees once he left for being so rude and disrespectful. I had to wonder out loud what they were doing at 13? Certainly not looking to work for a living!

So now I'm left with lots of questions. Why is he not in school? He couldn't give me a reference from a teacher so does that mean he's never gone to school? Where the h*ll are his parents? What can I do if he needs help? I could certainly offer him a few hours a day but I have to check with "Normes du Travail" (government office that stipulates what is and is not legal) to see how many hours he's allowed to work at his age. I would certainly insist on speaking to a parent or adult responsible for him but I don't want to scare him off either, in case he's in some sort of trouble :shrug: .

Any ideas please? I can't stop thinking about this boy. He's only 1 1/2 years older than my youngest (the Sandman) and I can't possibly imagine him not in school and feeling the need to work full time.

Your :2cents: would be greatly appreciated.

Rottielover
December 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Honestly...Ignore your employees, this is up to you. Call the norme, find out what you can offer him.
I think he can work, just not behind the cash. Legal reasons.
If they say yes, call the number. Speak to him privately.

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 10:10 PM
umm hmm....I dunno....poor guy...at 13, he's probably having a hard home life or whatever. I can see how many people would shut him out cos of his hair and such.

on one hand you can be his "angel" and save him from what could be his downfall later on.....give him a job and steer him in the right way while there's still a chance....or he can go on not finding a job an turn to illegal activities...that's my :2cents:
not all kids dressed that way are wrong doers and up to no good. I know cos i was one of them in highschool and stayed clean, but you never know....maybe give him a trial run?!

Byrd
December 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I agree with jiorji, helping him out may be his salvation.

breeze
December 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM
If you want to find out more call the phone number and ask for the kid see if the phone number is real and ask him if he is willing to change his hair color something in that line to find out if the phone number is legit....or do a 411 search of the phone number to see if the address is real. does he have a SIN number??

maybe he dropped out of school cause he could not handle it.... and the teachers would not give a refence in his eyes..

what is your gut instinics on him??
maybe he could clean the floors or something small.. to start with...

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
...but maybe he dropped out of school cos he needs to make a living:shrug:

breeze
December 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM
maybe,, the fact is he needs a job, if he is willing to work and meet you halve way and is not a trouble maker and is liget why not???? thats just my opion....

maybe with the work after a while.... he just might go back to school,
you never know what goes on behind closed doors....

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Legally, in Quebec, he has to stay in school until he's 16. If not, then Youth Services/Protection steps in. He said he had a Social Insurance Number but I know I'm not allowed to ask him for it unless I hire him. I would like to meet whoever is responsible for him...just haven't figured out how. I don't really trust phone conversations.

Our employees have no say in the matter. It's never happened, but I think I would "flip" on them if anyone said or did anything to make him feel 'less than.'

The hair is also a non-issue as long as he's squeaky clean. We wear lab coats/aprons and he would have to wear a cap. I could find a lot of stuff for him to do to help out, I've had a lot of practice with my boys.

Jiorji, I looked like a tramp as a teenager :laughing:, but was a great kid nevertheless as well. Sheesh, how I embarrassed my family :o.

Breeze, my gut instinct brings out the nurturing Mom in me. I'm not sure if that's a good thing here :shrug:. He's just a boy. He should have the life of a regular kid :sad: . School, friends, sports, hobbies, etc.

breeze
December 8th, 2007, 10:53 PM
LP there is alot of kids living in not a normal world you have to look at it that way...
and sometimes the people responisble for him is worst off than he is.. and some of them just don't care....
you can forse him into school, or even stay there it is his own choise at this point....
all you can do is give him a job if you feel it is right and then ern his trust to find out more....
And if he is serious about this then he will bend over backwards and meet you halv way.. the hair was just to see if he would....
the game is would you (the kid) he will if he really wants this....
and you have to be hard with your gut stop thinking like a mother.. use your sixth sence

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Breeze, my gut instinct brings out the nurturing Mom in me. I'm not sure if that's a good thing here :shrug:. He's just a boy. He should have the life of a regular kid :sad: . School, friends, sports, hobbies, etc.

awwww LP!

but maybe he's got no choice in the matter...
could you ask him more personal stuff when you interview him? are eployers allowed to do that?

happycats
December 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM
At least he's looking to "earn" his money, he's not out stealing, or robbing people!!
I think it's pretty amazing that a 13 year old want's / has to work. at least he's trying.
My mother instinct also comes out, so I say give the poor kid a chance!!
Once he starts working and trusting you, his story may come out.

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM
lol i love how everyone is saying to earn his trust and i suggest you ask him right away...i'm a very curious person and have no patience to wait :o:laughing:

but i agree...it's best to win his trust slowly

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM
At least he's looking to "earn" his money, he's not out stealing, or robbing people!!
I think it's pretty amazing that a 13 year old want's / has to work. at least he's trying.
My mother instinct also comes out, so I say give the poor kid a chance!!
Once he starts working and trusting you, his story may come out.

That was my first thought as well. I'm awfully proud of this lad. Just feeling sorry for him at the same time too.

I'll call him on Monday once I've better informed myself on the legalities of hiring a 13 year old. We'll see where it leads to from there.

Frenchy
December 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry to be the party pooper here but this should be reported to the "DPG" , this kid should be in school , this kid shouldn't work (too young / illegal) what if it's the parents that are making him get a job to bring some money home ? This is illegal ! This kid need the DPG , not a job. :2cents: :shrug:

wdawson
December 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM
being in a management position .....in ontario...i would take a pass on this person.....you have to consider : is he bondable? are you being set up for workers comp claims......save yourself the potential headache and pass.

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 11:18 PM
That's what's worrying me Frenchy. He should be in school. I don't think I'd be comfortable calling the DPJ without knowing more details first. Thanks for your opinion though, I just remembered I have an old friend that works with Ville Marie Youth Protection. I'll look her number up in the morning.

breeze
December 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
but Frenchy would you like to be forsed back into school if you don't want to be there????

what is needed is more info on him and WHY he is doing this.... and our system sucks big time kids get lost in there and no one is willing to help alot of the times... cause they are too busy not enough staff things like that... there is a reason he went into lp store now we just have to find out what that reason is......

everything has a purpose and every purpose has a reason....

Frenchy
December 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Breeze , I went to school with kids who didn't come to their classes half the time because their welfare parents would make them work so THEY would sit on their asses , drink beer and snort coke all day. You would give a job to a kid like that and say / do nothing to get this kid out of this family situation ? If this kid is in this kind of situation , he needs help , not a job.

breeze
December 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I understand what you are saying... I think lp need more info on him and find out whats going on before anyone calls the system....

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I just looked it up.

Under 14, I can't hire him without his parents' written consent ( a good excuse for me to go by his place maybe?).

Legally, he is not allowed to work during school hours.

La Loi sur les normes du travail interdit à un employeur :

1. de faire effectuer par un enfant un travail disproportionné à ses capacités ou susceptible de porter atteinte à son éducation, à sa santé ou à son développement;
2. de faire travailler un enfant de moins de 14 ans sans le consentement écrit du parent;
3. de faire travailler, durant les heures de classe, un enfant tenu de fréquenter l’école;
4. de faire travailler, entre 23 heures et 6 heures le lendemain, un enfant tenu de fréquenter l’école, sauf si l’enfant livre des journaux, ou s’il effectue un travail à titre de créateur ou d’interprète dans certains domaines de production artistique.

wdawson
December 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
from a business prospective......look at your company image....doe's he fit or are you letting your heart cloud your judgement?

breeze
December 8th, 2007, 11:33 PM
from a business prospective......look at your company image....doe's he fit or are you letting your heart cloud your judgement?

sixth sence :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

want4rain
December 8th, 2007, 11:33 PM
i was working 30 hours a week at 13. all of it under the table. mom couldnt make enough money, we had bills to pay so i did what i had to. at 15 i was skipping class to work more because we needed it. 16 i dropped out of school to work full time.

as much as i should have been in piano classes, school or whatever, i think i have a far better grasp on money than most my age. my amazing husband adores me because im funny and i still laugh at HIS jokes but he appreciates my level, down to earth head.

to add a little perspective to this- you learn to deal with what life gives you. that this boy is looking for employment says a great deal about him and bodes very well for his future.

legitimately hire him. if you find somewhere later where things are fishy, could use your help... do somethign about it but dont make assumptions about it now. you can speculate all you want to but the facts are what they are, not any supposition.

-ashley

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
sixth sence :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

:D:thumbs up

wdawson
December 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM
LP.....dont go to his place.......your gonna be in for trouble.....tell the kid to have a parent come to you .

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
that this boy is looking for employment says a great deal about him and bodes very well for his future.

-ashley

yeah i thought about that too....at that age he could be out of school hanging out in back alleys and whatnot..
but he's making a choice to do something better with his time.

wdawson
December 8th, 2007, 11:40 PM
yeah i thought about that too....at that age he could be out of school hanging out in back alleys and whatnot..
but he's making a choice to do something better with his time.

but there are so many liabilities that have to be considered.....and they cost $$$$

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Other than his hair, and the way he'd dressed, he's clean and presentable. We have a dress code; coats, aprons, caps are supplied by us. It's just his hair. I could always ask him to get it back to normal if he's serious about a job.

Of course, I can't have him work more than a few hours per day. I just want to help this child if he needs it. But I have to find out more. When it comes to children, I let both my heart and my head judge.

wdawson
December 8th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Other than his hair, and the way he'd dressed, he's clean and presentable. We have a dress code; coats, aprons, caps are supplied by us. It's just his hair. I could always ask him to get it back to normal if he's serious about a job.

Of course, I can't have him work more than a few hours per day. I just want to help this child if he needs it. But I have to find out more. When it comes to children, I let both my heart and my head judge.

oh no you can't ask him to change his hair....discrimination.....see already your gonna have a problem....:shrug:

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 11:45 PM
...tell the kid to have a parent come to you .

You're right.

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM
You're all making excellent points.

legitimately hire him. if you find somewhere later where things are fishy, could use your help... do somethign about it but dont make assumptions about it now. you can speculate all you want to but the facts are what they are, not any supposition. -ashley

Those are my intentions.

jiorji
December 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
oh no you can't ask him to change his hair....discrimination.....see already your gonna have a problem....:shrug:

what?!?!? that's not true! i've been asked by employers before to change my shoes or hair or piercings cos it wasn't suitable for my job. None of my piercings were visible at that time but i did get asked to remove one that the manager didn't SEE but HEARD about. I don't see how that's any different:confused::shrug:

if you can't see something why cause issues? hair is more visible and employers usually do ask their employees to dye their hair down.

rainbow
December 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Everyone has great points here. :thumbs up

I was in the same situation as want4rain. My heart goes out to this boy but at the same time, in this day and age, I have reservations. From what you've described of him, he doesn't sound like he's trying to con you, so why don't you sit down and ask him all the questions that are on your mind? :o

joeysmama
December 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
As a mom I say hire him ! He showed better manners than your current employees and if he had been dressed more conventionally we probably wouldn't even be talking about it. There aren't many kids that age who would want to work 7 days a week or who would stand there and know they were being laughed at and still try to make a case to get a job there---with the people who are laughing at him.

It sounds as though this kid has some integrity under his colorful cap.

He probably has some other issues going on as well but if you could hire him for at least a few hours maybe you would learn what they are. You may not be able to solve his problems but you would probably get an idea of where to direct him--back to school or a family counselor or whatever.

I think you have a good heart and I love that you want to help him !!! I'll pray for this boy. He sounds as though he could use one.

luckypenny
December 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Thank you so much for all the responses. It's helped me look at this from different angles. I'll call him tomorrow, set up a meeting with one of his parents if possible ( I need their written consent, legally), and call the Normes du Travail Monday morning to make sure I have everything covered. I'll keep you updated.

wdawson
December 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM
what?!?!? that's not true! i've been asked by employers before to change my shoes or hair or piercings cos it wasn't suitable for my job. None of my piercings were visible at that time but i did get asked to remove one that the manager didn't SEE but HEARD about. I don't see how that's any different:confused::shrug:

if you can't see something why cause issues? hair is more visible and employers usually do ask their employees to dye their hair down.

its against the law to ask that you change your appearance....the potential employee can say what you see is what you get....pink hair and all....then scream discrimination if not hired,

rainbow
December 9th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Thank you so much for all the responses. It's helped me look at this from different angles. I'll call him tomorrow, set up a meeting with one of his parents if possible ( I need their written consent, legally), and call the Normes du Travail Monday morning to make sure I have everything covered. I'll keep you updated.

Good luck, LP :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

TeriM
December 9th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong but the kid didn't say he wasn't in school, he just said he can't work past midnight. I would say to trust your insticts LP, they seem to have served you well from what I've seen in the past :thumbs up.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I would contact family and social services for advice, this young man needs some counselling, support and to be back in school. Sounds like he can't live at home, but doesn't want to steal, sell drugs, etc to support himself, but may turn to that if there is nobody to help him.

cpietra16
December 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
In terms of school, He may be homeschooled...my neighbour's kid who's 9 is home schooled. I don't agree, personal opinion, but to each his own...i find it amazing that this kid wants to work...maybe he just wants to make some extra christmas money to buy gifts....I hope you get to meet his parents and get down to the bottom of this.

i also worked with inner city kids and tell me...some were better off away from home.

happycats
December 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Awww thanks for giving him a chance LP!!:thumbs up
You might make the difference in this boys life, whether he fails or succeeds.

I knew a family who took in MANY fosters (for the money) and those kids did without for sure (money ws spent on them and their bilogical kids) and the foster kids needed to work just to survive.

I also knew a kid who ran away from foster parents (they were bigger abusers then his real parents) He refused to go back into foster care for fear he would end up abused again, and just lived on the street, he felt that was better, he also worked as much as he could, for food.

I wish you good luck with this boy, and I hope all works out well, as I believe every child has the potential to succeed with the right people in his life and guidance!!

Your an:angel2:

happycats
December 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
This reminds me of the attached story, what a difference one kind gesture can make!

http://www.llerrah.com/glassofmilk.htm

luckypenny
December 10th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Thank you for sharing that, Happycats.

I tried to call the number he left several times throughout the day today but there was no answer. I'll try again tomorrow.

kit1469
December 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM
2 years ago i was kicked out of my home ... i tried getting a job and i tried to get help from local organizations and goverment ones .. they all told me no .. i could go back home.. the problem was .. home was abussive .. i couldnt .. i lived on the streets for a year trying to get on my feet .. im behind in my schooling now and i was sick for a long time from being out in the cold and not eating verry well .... i wish someone would have helped even a little ... i could have been graduating this year ... im not trying to get sympathy i just hope u will concider the position this kid may be in and at least try a little to help him out .. but dont hurt urself doing it.. im sure theres a way to do both??:confused:

luckypenny
December 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Kit1469, I've been on my own since I was 16 and wanted out since I was 12. I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that experiences, whether bad or good, make a person stronger. However, I was fortunate enough to receive some guidance.

One day you'll be in a position to help another, but you have to take care of yourself first ;) in order to get there.

Whatever this lad's story is, I'm willing to help him find that guidance too.

marko
December 10th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I also just wanted to add how impressed I am with the many many big hearts that I see around here so regularly. :goodvibes:

Good for you for being such an amazing helper LP :)

kit1469
December 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM
i no that it happened for a reson .. i found my fiancee because of what happened to me .. i learned from it and luckily my family life has improved greatly with the period of seperation i hope to help people when im older .. i want to open a shelter for teens .. itll be quite awhile yet but its in my future :D i hope things work out for u :D

luckypenny
December 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Lots of wonderful people here, I agree.

Thanks Marko :o, but I live this way for totally selfish reasons :o....nothing feels better than helping, even just a little.