Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Appointments made

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I went to the vet this morning for Maks and Kiska's vaccines. They have one more and they're done, which is great. I also scheduled them to be Spayed & Neutered at the end of December. I managed to get my favorite doctor, so that's great.

I also scheduled an appointment for Czarina a few days before, again with my favorite doctor. I asked her if she thought I'd have a difficult time getting her accustomed to living inside. She told me a lot of feral cats adapt really well to being indoors and love it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Czarina is one of them.

So I'll take her in, have her checked and bathed and bring her home. Since I'm off that week I'll have a few days at home with all of them so that I can get them all used to each other. I don't think Kiska and Maks will be a problem with accepting her, but I know Vlad and Oksana might take a bit.

I really hope all of this works out well. I want this to work for all of us. If I succeed, I have to make myself a promise, no matter how much I want to I cannot bring another cat into my home. 5 is the limit for this place. I just can't have anymore. And my bank account won't be able to afford another cat.

I know lots of you won't like to hear this, but I've found that they all really like the Wellness dry and Maks is already on it exclusively. I'd like to get them all on it. I can't afford canned and dry. They really only have a few bites of the canned and walk away. That's a lot of money to throw down the drain, because they won't eat it after its been in the fridge, even if I warm it up. The Wellness is the best I've found so far and my vet said it was a very good brand and she's found lots of the animals she sees that are on it do very well health wise. And the plus is they all seem to like it.

My best friend also gave me a huge bag of Innova, that she had bought for her cat before she had to have him euthanaised.

I never thought I'd ever be able to have another cat. I started taking allergy medication and I was able to have Vlad. Then came Oksana. I had no plans on two more, but now I have Kiska and Maks, and soon possibly another one. This year has certainly turned out to be an interesting one for me.:cat:

want4rain
December 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM
BLASTED WOMAN!! my sister already printed your cards out!!!! im so out of the loop... i had to search for 'Czarina' to find the whole story for her. i didnt realize this was the cute little stray princess you were heart broken over. good to hear others were caring for her too but thats no substitute to having her IN a house where cars cant hit her. you should have named her Anastasia. :cloud9:

-ashley

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
LOL, yes cards are printed out and hopefully coming my way next week. You'll have to send me your address so that I can send you one.

I briefly thought about Anastasia, but Czarina is easier and faster to say and I've heard its easier for them to remember names that aren't very complicated.

Besides, the second I saw her, Czarina just popped into my head.

Dracko
December 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I thought my cats were the only ones who wouldn't eat wet food once it had been in the fridge. :p

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
No, I've tried warming it in the microwave, I've tried adding some warm water to it, nothing. They just don't want it.

And its not as if they eat a lot of it. I took one of the small cans and split it between Vlad and Oksana, and neither ate the whole half they were given. It's just a few bites and that's it.

At least with the dry, I see them periodically go and eat a little bit then go about their business, then go back and eat more. When I go to bed the bowl is filled, and when I wake up its almost gone, so I know during the night they also come down for a little snack.

So from now on I'll just get them good quality dry and make sure they have plenty of water. I'm happy that I did find a pet store that carries Wellness. Petco doesn't have it, and neither can I find it at Petsmart, but Pet Supermarket has several different kinds.

krdahmer
December 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Don't feel bad about the wet, I can only get two to eat it here (the big boys so thats good, more important for the moisture for males I think)... and I have tried everything! The girls all like to nibble on the dry when they feel like it... and well, Fagan eats dry, licks the watery gravy off the wet sometimes but he drinks like crazy which is great.

Anyhow, I was gonna ask how do you store your wet food in the fridge? Cause I had that problem also even with the boys that dig into the wet, turned out it was because I was storing it in the can with a lid, as soon as I started putting it away in a tupperware container, they would eat it the next day mixed with warm water (which is how I do it first day too).

It really is frustrating though, I know it's good for them, but I've even tried the cheap junk foody ones like whiskas and friskies, and nada... even FF they won't touch and the girls used to love it:shrug:.... Cat's certainly know what they like and don't like though!:rolleyes:

I just try to feed as good a dry food as I can and make sure they have lots of fresh water all over the house... that makes me feel better about not feeding wet to them all. I have enough food issues with all Fagan's allergies and the sensitive tummies around here, I'm just happy to find something they will all eat and not find smeared all over their butt fur!!:yuck: :laughing:

krdahmer
December 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Oh and awesome for Kiska and Maks... hope their S&N goes smoothly!:pray:

And :thumbs up I'm so happy for Czarina!!! She couldn't have picked a better home!!! :grouphug:

Oh and I know you mentioned a concern about the litter box in another thread... you shouldn't have to worry. I have taken in wild ferals that wouldn't let me near them, and they never had one accident, diggin in the litter is just natural to them. A couple tricks though... if you can pick her up, put her in the box first thing when you bring her in... and this has worked for me, take one of your other kitties 'deposits' ( a poop is easier and less likely to send territorial messages) and place it in the box... kinda gives her the idea of what its for.

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Don't feel bad about the wet, I can only get two to eat it here (the big boys so thats good, more important for the moisture for males I think)... and I have tried everything! The girls all like to nibble on the dry when they feel like it... and well, Fagan eats dry, licks the watery gravy off the wet sometimes but he drinks like crazy which is great.

Anyhow, I was gonna ask how do you store your wet food in the fridge? Cause I had that problem also even with the boys that dig into the wet, turned out it was because I was storing it in the can with a lid, as soon as I started putting it away in a tupperware container, they would eat it the next day mixed with warm water (which is how I do it first day too).

It really is frustrating though, I know it's good for them, but I've even tried the cheap junk foody ones like whiskas and friskies, and nada... even FF they won't touch and the girls used to love it:shrug:.... Cat's certainly know what they like and don't like though!:rolleyes:

I just try to feed as good a dry food as I can and make sure they have lots of fresh water all over the house... that makes me feel better about not feeding wet to them all. I have enough food issues with all Fagan's allergies and the sensitive tummies around here, I'm just happy to find something they will all eat and not find smeared all over their butt fur!!:yuck: :laughing:

I store it in a plastic container when I put the food in the fridge. They still won't have it.

Vlad loves drinking water from the faucet, so no matter how many times I turn it on for whatever reason, he jumps on the counter and wants a drink. I think he actually just waits to drink from there, since I hardly ever see him drinking from his bowl. I see him dip his paw and lick it from the bowl, but never actually drink from it.

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Oh and awesome for Kiska and Maks... hope their S&N goes smoothly!:pray:

And :thumbs up I'm so happy for Czarina!!! She couldn't have picked a better home!!! :grouphug:

Oh and I know you mentioned a concern about the litter box in another thread... you shouldn't have to worry. I have taken in wild ferals that wouldn't let me near them, and they never had one accident, diggin in the litter is just natural to them. A couple tricks though... if you can pick her up, put her in the box first thing when you bring her in... and this has worked for me, take one of your other kitties 'deposits' ( a poop is easier and less likely to send territorial messages) and place it in the box... kinda gives her the idea of what its for.

I just hope she allows me to pick her up and put her in a carrier. Actually, I just hope I can find her that day. I usually see her early in the morning and my appointment that day is for 9:30. I may have to come down early and have her in the carrier for a while. Hopefully She'll be hanging around though. If not, I'll go looking for her.

Thanks for the advice. I figured, I'd keep her in the same little section, the half bath and hallway for a few days, and I'll get a bigger box and put it in there. I'd put her in first thing, just so she knows.

I figure, even if she stays a solitary cat and decides to just be on her own in here, at least I'll have given her a warm and safe place to live, with daily food and clean water. It doesn't get super cold here in the winter, but there are a few days when it's in the low 40's, and for an animal that's cold. Not to mention the really hot days in the summer and when it rains.

She'll be safe and loved. And hopefully, she'll become friends with my current 4. I just hope that she doesn't have any health issues. I'd want to get her insurance but it would be hard to insure her if she had health issues.

krdahmer
December 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=ancientgirl;511767]Vlad loves drinking water from the faucet, so no matter how many times I turn it on for whatever reason, he jumps on the counter and wants a drink. I think he actually just waits to drink from there,
QUOTE]

That's too funny... Fagan does the same thing, every time I go near the washroom when he's awake he jumps up on the counter for a drink.

And I'm sure the hotter days are more to worry about than the cold ones down there... I hope she's healthy too, you've had enough excitement with Maks and Oksana to last you a while! I'm sure she'll just have basic stuff like worms or fleas, easy fixes! :fingerscr

Oh and when I caught the feral I called Papa I put his food in the carrier the day before leaving the door open, he went in and ate, put the carrier down the next day just with some dry food and this time when he ventured in, I shut the door behind him, it was great... no freaking out or panicking or anything. (Of course I had started also to get him to let me pick him up for a few seconds at a time so he was really getting to trust me. I would just pick him up and put him right back down and then pet him... I figured that showed him I wasn't trying to nab him, I wanted him to trust that I would put him down again.) Papa ended up finding a great home, and he was the tamest cat! And so affectionate. It's amazing how fast they come around when they get some love and warmth!

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=ancientgirl;511767]Vlad loves drinking water from the faucet, so no matter how many times I turn it on for whatever reason, he jumps on the counter and wants a drink. I think he actually just waits to drink from there,
QUOTE]

That's too funny... Fagan does the same thing, every time I go near the washroom when he's awake he jumps up on the counter for a drink.

And I'm sure the hotter days are more to worry about than the cold ones down there... I hope she's healthy too, you've had enough excitement with Maks and Oksana to last you a while! I'm sure she'll just have basic stuff like worms or fleas, easy fixes! :fingerscr

Oh and when I caught the feral I called Papa I put his food in the carrier the day before leaving the door open, he went in and ate, put the carrier down the next day just with some dry food and this time when he ventured in, I shut the door behind him, it was great... no freaking out or panicking or anything. (Of course I had started also to get him to let me pick him up for a few seconds at a time so he was really getting to trust me. I would just pick him up and put him right back down and then pet him... I figured that showed him I wasn't trying to nab him, I wanted him to trust that I would put him down again.) Papa ended up finding a great home, and he was the tamest cat! And so affectionate. It's amazing how fast they come around when they get some love and warmth!

Yeah, when I take a shower, I leave the faucet on a little bit because he'll eventually come in there and expect to get his drink of water.

Yeah, I can deal with worms or fleas, that's fixable. I'm hoping she doesn't have a major health issue, but to me she does look healthy.

Thanks for the advice. When I go down to feed her tomorrow, I'll try to see if she will allow me to pick her up for a few seconds. I really think she's starved for love and affection. Ever since I've started petting her she just can't get enough of it. I'm even wondering of she belonged to anyone at one point who just left her there. :sad:

My appointment to take her in is the 27th of December. I have off from work from the 24th to probably Jan 2 or 3rd, so its time to slowly get Czarina used to being inside and eventually introduce her to the others. It will also give me time to be at home with Maks & Kiska after their S&N. I did the same thing for Vlad & Oksana. I wanted to be home for a few days with them to make sure everything was okay.

Hey, maybe Czarina is my little miracle kitty. My Christmas present from the big guy upstairs telling me that the new year will be a great one for me. :lovestruck:

Winston
December 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Ancientgirl! I dont want to sound awful but there is one thing you may want to consider before making plans?? What will you do if she is pregnant? I mean sometimes you cant tell?? I dont eant to sound negative but I thought I would mention it because that could turn all of your plans upside down?? pocket book, kittens?? whew! I mean if she was too far along to abort them how the heck would you look after them? unless your vet would be willing to keep her til they are weaned?? Just thinking??

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I have thought about that. I tried to touch her tummy to see if I felt it was big, but she was eating and kept moving. I had been talking to the grounds keeper and asked him if he knew if she might be spayed. He said he knew that some of the other kitties here are hers, but he also told me she's been with some other male cats before and hasn't gotten pregnant.

I don't know. I know my vet is always taking in strays, and Oksana was from a stray mother they'd taken in. All the kittens they take in always find homes really fast, so if my little girl is pregnant and its too late to abort then I'm hoping they'll keep her until the kittens are weined and then we'll try to find them homes.

This sounds terrible, but if she is pregnant and it isn't too soon to abort, I may ask the vet to do that. I hate to sound cruel, but taking the chance that the kittens may or may not be adopted is too much. I don't want to add to the overpopulation of unwanted animals and since I don't know how healthy this girl is, it might be best for her to not have more babies.

Winston
December 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I have thought about that. I tried to touch her tummy to see if I felt it was big, but she was eating and kept moving. I had been talking to the grounds keeper and asked him if he knew if she might be spayed. He said he knew that some of the other kitties here are hers, but he also told me she's been with some other male cats before and hasn't gotten pregnant.

I don't know. I know my vet is always taking in strays, and Oksana was from a stray mother they'd taken in. All the kittens they take in always find homes really fast, so if my little girl is pregnant and its too late to abort then I'm hoping they'll keep her until the kittens are weined and then we'll try to find them homes.

This sounds terrible, but if she is pregnant and it isn't too soon to abort, I may ask the vet to do that. I hate to sound cruel, but taking the chance that the kittens may or may not be adopted is too much. I don't want to add to the overpopulation of unwanted animals and since I don't know how healthy this girl is, it might be best for her to not have more babies.

I agree 100% with you...I just wanted to bring it to light ..you never know right? and I hope she is not too ferel cause it may take some time before all will be accepting...I am praying for your little girl that she has no ailments and that you are her angel! The other thing is if she is FIV positive that may also impact your decision..I think that is what it is called anyway..I think that part of the problem with that illness is that they cannot be around other cats?? I am so sorry...not trying to put a damper on it!! :sad:

How about a sneak peak at her? Can you catch a picture?

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
That's another thing I've been thinking about. I'm praying she's not FIV positive because I won't be able to take her in. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed since she seems to have been around for a long while here and like I said, she does look healthy. Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

I go down to feed her again tomorrow. when I do I'll see if I can remember to take my camera and get a picture of her. You'll see why she's just taken hold of my heart.

krdahmer
December 8th, 2007, 10:28 PM

To a lot of us who see all these stray and feral and unwanted cats, that in no way sounds cruel, just logical. I know that if I had of had my wits about me when I took in my last feral I would have done that for sure, instead at just under a year that poor girl got thrown in a big cage, was very stressed (by me trying to be nice to her mind you but my mere presence seemed to really upset her so I limited my contact knowing it was going to have to be a S/N and R...) and then had one still born kitten, one that didn't even make it a few hours, and two that made it only a couple weeks. All of which she wanted nothing to do with. :sad: I felt like a monster putting her through all that, and then after she was spayed returning her outside to the feral pack. It was some comfort that she did come back the very next day for treats and food though. But that experience really made me see that in some cases aborting is less cruel.

We've got all our furry paws and non furry fingers crossed for you here... hopefully she isn't pregnant and has no serious illnesses!!! :pawprint: :fingerscr :pray::D

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Thank you for that story. I'm trying to do the right thing by her, and hearing all of your experiences helps.

I'll certainly keep everyone updated.

I figure that I should go down and pet her and let her see me as much as possible. That way she will hopefully come to trust me enough to allow me to pick her up and put her in a carrier.

I know the vets at the clinic will do their best for her. My vet is wonderful and I already told her I would be bringing this girl in.

So we shall see:D:fingerscr:pray:

I'm going to try and get a snapshot of her today.