Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy! Dieherra (sp?) for 5 days now

ladyjett
December 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum! I would like to say thatr I am happy this exists.. its nice knowing you can jump on for advice from such informed people

I just recently bought a miniture pinscher :) his name is trigger (the boy named him *lol*) he is great! for the past week he has been very good about pee'ing on his mat! but he wont poop on it? he will poop everywhere else but not his mat... any suggestions? and does anyone have some basic training adive for litter training? we livein canada and he shakes to death just going to the car so walking right now is not an option,,

The breeder told us to keep him on Royal Canin puppy food, thats what we feed him, but for the past 5 days he has had dierreah, with blood,, now we took him to the vert but the sample we gave them unfortunetly had no blood in it, will this compromise his results?

alot of questions here *lol* thank you for reading this

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Well, I've just had a tough week with my new little kitten. Throwing up, diarrhea, dehydration as a result ...

Seeing the size of a min-pin, I'll pass on what I learned, even if yours is probably older than 6-7 weeks:

human baby food, Heinz chicken in broth as it's easy to eat and digest
a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (I cooked a little butternut squash I had, it did the same trick) to tighten the bowels; or you can use the water from cooked, long-grain rice

My little guy is up and running circles around the big doggies again!

ladyjett
December 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
thanks for the advice, I am making sure he drinks lots of water, but the thing is he is not down and under,,, he is very hyper and active,, what would the blood be from?

Masha
December 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
When we brought our puppy home, he had soft poops (although no diareah). We started adding canned pumpkin (make sure it is NOT the pie filling) and it helped firm his bowel a bit, but it didnt eliminate the problem completely. It was only when we stopped soaking his dry food with water that his bowel firmed up to the normal consistency.

With puppies it could also be worms; the Vet should be able to identify this from the stool sample though....

Longblades
December 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Bloody diarrhoea for five days is SERIOUS in any dog and much more so in a puppy. How old is he? He could dehydrate very quickly, even though you say he is drinking. I think it is urgent that you ask more questions of the Vet and perhaps seek another opinion.

Frenchy
December 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
With puppies it could also be worms; the Vet should be able to identify this from the stool sample though....

You're right Masha, might be worms. ladyjett , did you get the results back yet ?

ladyjett
December 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I took him on wednesday and I have had no word as of yet... I know its serious,, I have been talking with the breeder and she said he was fine when she had him... worms? I am not sure about,, I have checked his poop and haven't seen any,, but then I was told it could be a tape worm (from the breeder)

I have never owned a dog ,, I have 5 cats.. .. I was just wondering how long it took for a stool sample to come back... he is playful,, and yes like I said he is drinking ALOT of water,,, should I give him pedilite (sp?)

and thank you to all of you for responding,,

Frenchy
December 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
You still haven't got the results ? :confused: It shouldn't take this long ! Have you called your vet back ? Are they open tomorrow ? This can't wait another week .... about the pedialite , I think so but I don't know about the amount you could give her. Someone else will be able to help soon I'm sure. But you need to speak to your vet asap.

luckypenny
December 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Most intestinal parasites are not visible to the human eye. Had the breeder de-wormed the puppies at all? How many times and at what intervals? Did she not send a de-wormer home with you?

It takes our vet 20-30 minutes to give us results of a stool analysis. It should not take your vet several days. I'd definitely give him a call asap and ask what's going on.

If your pup is drinking water regularly, he does not need pedialyte. Please take him to another vet if you can't get any answers from your current one.

ladyjett
December 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
thanks gain for your responses I am slow to respond I am studying for an exam and just now cleaned up the worst mess I have seen him due to date and the amount of blood has me really concerned..,.
this is the papers that came home with me when I got trigger
Treatments
oct13 strongid 0.5ml (1day)
oct 27 panacur 0.4ml (5 days)

nov 15 revolution (1 day)
vaccinated for ,m distemper, adeno virus and parvo..

she also made a note saying she gave me a 7 day supply of pills everyday until finished if blood droplets or mucous is present in stool.. I did not receive these pills she speaks of,, as soon as I brought him home I booked the vet appointment for the same week, I live in a VERY small town and that is the only vet around,,, no I have not called because I was under the assumption they would call me with results... if they are only a small clinic wouldn't stool be sent elsewhere?
I am very suspicious on her saying he showed no signs of this while in her home,,, why would he just start when in my house?

of course I will call the vet tomorrow,, I was just hoping I could maybe find someone who has had this with there puppy or knew what this could be ,,, its making me crazy with worry :(

ladyjett
December 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
also where is all this poop coming from? I have cut his food intake in case its the food he is on,, and he is basically restricted to water.. of course I feed him but not what was recommended,,,

and his last little bout has thrown me into a fit,,, it was .... just really bad,,, :(:(

luckypenny
December 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Most puppies are de-wormed using a product such as, or similar to, Interceptor beginning at around 4 weeks of age. Usually 3-4 treatments at 2 week intervals.

What you're describing sounds like intestinal parasites, perhaps hookworm. Panacur is a good choice of medication however it is usually prescribed for 3 days, and 10 days after the last dose, it is re-administered for another 3 days in order for it to be effective.

If it is parasites, then it would look like he's eliminating a lot because the food is passing undigested. I would suggest you bring a fresh stool sample back to the vet asap and ask that they analyze it right away if possible. It's a simple procedure and shouldn't have to be sent elsewhere for testing.

In addition, if his stool is foamy-like and watery, with or without blood, usually accompanied by vomitting, and both have a strong metallic odor to it, bring him in to an emergency vet immediately.

Also, if you're giving him any sort of raw-hide bones, Greenie or dental type bones, stop. It could aggravate the situation a great deal.

:fingerscr that the vet finds the problem today and your pup will be feeling better in no time. Keep us up-dated please.

rainbow
December 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Luckypenny has given you excellent advice. :thumbs up Good luck and keep us updated. :goodvibes: