Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I teach a Malamute to SPEAK?

Gripenfelter
December 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
All his life my dog has been trained not to make noise or bark.

Now he needs to bark on command for a movie he's been casted for.

How do I teach a dog to bark who normally NEVER barks?

He's a 3 yr old Alaskan Malamute.

http://members.shaw.ca/natasha_pannu/95%20155.JPG

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
For starters ... I WANT HIM !!! :lovestruck: OMG, he's SO gorgeous !!! :lovestruck:

You may have trouble getting a Malamute to bark, they don't normally. The puppies "bark" (or yelp is more adequate to describe their noises) then they evolve into a howling for adult communication and very very rarely bark at all. So if yours is already a silent dog, I wouldn't have too much hope of getting him to bark. He'll have to do playback :thumbs up that's what all the "stars" do these days anyway!

Oh, and did I mention that I want that gorgeous boy ? :flirt:

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
He is a beauty :cloud9:! Sorry I am not doggy smart so I don't have any suggestions for you.

Lissa
December 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
First of all, long time no see! How's the sledding???

How do I teach a dog to bark who normally NEVER barks?
All his life my dog has been trained not to make noise or bark.

Your problem and answer lie right there. If he has been taught to never do something and corrected every time he has done it, you at the very least have an uphill battle. I am not sure how you trained him to NEVER bark but if its something he associates with being bad and receiving corrections, I am not sure how successful you will be. You also need to understand that now that you are expecting him to go against everything he knows, it will work against you to discipline him should he start being more vocal when its not convenient for you (in the beginning)... Also whatever command you used to teach him to never bark, should not be used now at all...You will need to teach a different command for "quiet" or "enough" so as not to confuse him.

What's working on your side is that Mals tend to be quite vocal (not in a barking way - more like howling [so that could be a problem])... You need to either find something or someway to ellicit anything resembling a bark... The instant you get anything you MARK and REWARD. After he's reliably offering the behaviour, put a command to it...
So, I would think that most Mal's get vocal when they are being harnessed up or being restrained from sledding. Anything that gets Zeus very excited should be a good starting point!
If he has not been harshly corrected for barking, then it shouldn't be hard to get it on command - all you should need to do is get him to a certain level of excitement (With Dodger it was witholding a treat or toy that helped get him to speak)... Remember, since this is for a movie you need a vocal command as well as a hand signal so make sure you know what you are going to use before you start. Also, its important to MARK and REWARD ANY approximations of the end behaviour - you may start by rewarding a whine, or sigh or yips before getting the kind of BARK that you want on command. If you don't MARK and REWARD all attempts, Zeus will likely give up... But when he does do the exact bark that you want, its jackpot time (so you pull out the BEST reward possible)...

Good Luck!

14+kitties
December 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Can't help you but man, he is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Thinking of my Husky (Dayak) ... we'd have howling concerts, him and me :) aaooooooo! aaaooo-wooo-oooo :)

And the way he would stand perfectly still and suddenly bounce up like a jack-in-the-box ...

Sorry, that doesn't help you :sorry: :sorry: