Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Puppy food recommendations

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
My coworker is getting a new Husky puppy today (8 wks old) they currently have 6 large dogs (I think 4 are huskey's, they sled) and normally adopt adult dogs. She is wondering what the best food is to feed her puppy?

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I would try a holistic blend, I know our dogs were really happy with it (the store closed :yell: how cruel is that!?!) wet and dry.

Longblades
December 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I would strongly advise you to feed puppy the same food the breeder is feeding. Puppy is just a baby, too soon for big food changes that might result in diarrhoea. I expect the breeder has told them the same thing. They can change food when he is older if they like and again, the breeder should be able to suggest when that might be.

We get our new Lab puppy at 8 weeks old tomorrow and he will continue on the breeder's choice of food till at least one year of age. It is an adult food. Puppy food is not as bad for puppies as it was 15 years ago when we got our first Lab pup. Now it has been adjusted to remove the ingredients that promote artificial fast growth that has been thought to lead to joint injuries in the large fast growing breeds. I've asked our breeder and she says there is now so little difference between puppy and adult food that she continues to wean all her pups onto adult food because it is cheaper and there is no appreciable difference in the foods.

Your friend should talk to puppy's breeder.

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I think she wants to get Orijen puppy, but is concerned about the high protein and bone growth. The puppy is Alaskan I think.

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks Longblades, they said they will try to get some food from the breeder. The breeder lives in a very rural area (they sled) so if he gets his food from a co-op, they may not be able to get their food here in town.

CearaQC
December 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I worry about this too! Since we're going to keep one of the pups our rescue Golden had, I want to feed him the best I can find.

Unfortunately, none of our local stores carry a grain-free pet food. It's all Iams or Purina, Beneful or Alpo. Even the foods at the vet have grain... at least the bags that I was able to read. They store more unseen in the back.

How come big companies like Canadian Tire don't carry the Orijen food? The next time we go shopping I'm going to pester the stores and complain how they don't carry a grain free pet food or a product made in Canada.

One of the local grocery store owners here is interested in one of the puppies, so I am going to play on his weaknesses and tell him all about better pet food. :laughing:

I wish we could have some Orijen shipped out, but the shipping might cost as much as the food itself. :sad:

Too bad we can't make some sort of Pets.ca co-op... order grain free foods by the pallet! lol

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
She decided on Orijen Puppy Large Breed to start the puppy. Her husband is picking the puppy up today and is going to ask for some food to transition the puppy to Orijen.

Next week the puppy is coming into work, will post some pictures. I work in such a great place:thumbs up

Ford Girl
December 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I have fed Orijen to Dazy since about a month after bringing her home, no issues, she's healthy as a horse and almost as big! :laughing: The large breed puppy stuff! I had my vet review it first, he really pushed Medi-cal and when he realized I wouldnt go there, he agreed it was good for her. :thumbs up He also reviewed Horizons for me, but told me to stick with a large breed formula, otherwise I would have used Horizon's, it good too, it's lower protien and has good quality grain. It's also Canadian made! :ca:

rainbow
December 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
She decided on Orijen Puppy Large Breed to start the puppy. Her husband is picking the puppy up today and is going to ask for some food to transition the puppy to Orijen.

Next week the puppy is coming into work, will post some pictures. I work in such a great place:thumbs up

Orijen is a great choice. :thumbs up Looking forward to the pics. :lovestruck:

rainbow
December 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM
otherwise I would have used Horizon's, it good too, it's lower protien and has good quality grain. It's also Canadian made! :ca:

Horizon now has a grain free kibble:

http://www.horizonpetfood.com/products-legacy.asp

rainbow
December 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM
CearaQC, where do you live? Here is where Orijen is available in Quebec:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/QuebecStoreListing.aspx

Love4himies
December 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Well the puppy has been eating Orijen and has had no tummy issues so far. I got to see the puppy in person (office visit today) and she is beautiful. Her paws are huge compared to her body.

One of their other dogs has taken her under her wing and is being a foster momma lol.

The oldest huskey is not sure what to think and has put the puppy in her place. Will post pictures soon.

clm
December 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Our breeder had our pups on Iams puppy when we got them, so I wasn't about to keep them on that. Changed them over to the Orijen puppy fairly quickly, mixing it with the Iams for a few weeks. They've been on it ever since, I mix it with Wellness canned and they do well on both.

Cindy

Love4himies
December 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Here are some pics from our office meeting today:
Siku is such a calm puppy, going to have a great personality!

dans4sure
December 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hello...My wife & I have a Belgian Tervuren Shepherd and we feed him "Performatrim Dog food" It`s got everything your freinds dog will need. Fruits, Veggies, & Chicken & Rice, PLUS... Glucosamine for the dogs joints as he/she is growing.

Dan :thumbs up

CearaQC
December 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Rainbow,

We're out in Gaspe. Far away from any of the Quebec retailers. :sad:

I'm feeding raw but would like to have some food like Orijen on hand when the local stores don't stock the right stuff, which is often. But my complaining has helped. Found lots of raw goodies, organ meats and turkey necks today. :D

TeriM
December 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM
OMG, that puppy is such a cutie :cloud9:.

Longblades
December 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Oh my, look at the size of those FEET. Bet she is going to be a big girl. Waht a sweetie-pie.

Bentley'sMom
December 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm a little late to the discussion, but will add my experience. We switched our now 5 month old lab from what I considered a poor quality food to Orijen Large Breed Puppy within days of bringing her home at 8 weeks of age. Everything went well and she is growing at the right pace. I know the recommendation is to sometimes wait months before switching a puppy's food, but I can't see giving a poor quality food during the most important growth months. We added a little bit of canned pumpkin during the switch which seemed to help.

The photo is so cute - what a beautiful pup.

rainbow
December 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Rainbow,

We're out in Gaspe. Far away from any of the Quebec retailers. :sad:

I'm feeding raw but would like to have some food like Orijen on hand when the local stores don't stock the right stuff, which is often. But my complaining has helped. Found lots of raw goodies, organ meats and turkey necks today. :D

Oh my.....you are in the boonies. :D If you can find out who the pet food distributor is for the Gaspe area then you can ask them all the brands that they can bring in. Then you can ask the local stores to include whatever you choose to order it in for you. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
December 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Hello...My wife & I have a Belgian Tervuren Shepherd and we feed him "Performatrim Dog food" It`s got everything your freinds dog will need. Fruits, Veggies, & Chicken & Rice, PLUS... Glucosamine for the dogs joints as he/she is growing.

Dan :thumbs up

There are better foods out there.

rainbow
December 12th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Here are some pics from our office meeting today:
Siku is such a calm puppy, going to have a great personality!

Siku is very cute. :lovestruck: What type of husky is he supposed to be? I definitely do not see any Siberian Husky in him. :shrug:

Love4himies
December 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Siku is very cute. :lovestruck: What type of husky is he supposed to be? I definitely do not see any Siberian Husky in him. :shrug:

No he is Alaskan, which is a smaller breed than Sibs, but can still sled.

Love4himies
December 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm a little late to the discussion, but will add my experience. We switched our now 5 month old lab from what I considered a poor quality food to Orijen Large Breed Puppy within days of bringing her home at 8 weeks of age. Everything went well and she is growing at the right pace. I know the recommendation is to sometimes wait months before switching a puppy's food, but I can't see giving a poor quality food during the most important growth months. We added a little bit of canned pumpkin during the switch which seemed to help.

The photo is so cute - what a beautiful pup.

Thanks I'll let her know your success with it.