Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best automatic litter cleaner?

onster
December 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Just wondering about members' experiences with litter scoopers.

Im looking for something so that if I have to stay out of town overnight (a day or 2 max), my kitties don't have to step in their poop. I'd have someone come in for sure as well, but still I'd like to make their job easier (my kitties have the stinkiest poop! :yuck:)

beckiandthetrio
December 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
hi there--

How many cats do you have?? If you have more than one I dont suggest the littermaid automatic one. I have three kitties and I got one as a present and it was ruined in about a month from the high usage. And, since they are soo expensive its hard to justify two of them.

so, if you have one kitty it would be great, more than that I dont know then. Maybe someone else has a suggestion??

becki

onster
December 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have 2 kitties and currently 3 litterboxes. I would only get one automatic one though because theyre are not the cheapest things like u said.

Did yours just stop working altogther??

Dracko
December 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Many years ago I have a Littermaid and 3 cats. It worked like a charm for over 2 years. When I moved I got rid of it and bought a newer "updated" version. :frustrated: Right.

The "new" wire rake sucks. It never ever scooped to the bottom and stuff always got stuck in them. Never had this problem with the original model. I understand why they thought these improvements would be better. On paper I can see why they should...but in use they didn't. Plus, it quit working after only a few months (was pretty noisey and squealed a lot, too). Bought a second one :o. Same thing.

I gave up on them and got 3 big plastic tubs (you know the ones we all store things in) and the cats love them. Then balance on the sides and go to the bathroom. :p

I was a big believer in the automated ones as I traveled a lot, too, but I gave up on them after 2 not good experiences.

phoozles
December 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I've got a Littermaid too.. After two years (and four cats) it pooched out, but PetSmart had an unconditional return policy (did when I bought it online anyway), so I got another one - but opted for the smaller "quieter" version so that I could also get the "privacy tent" .. That's where I made my mistake - the tent was a horrible idea, and the smaller one was MUCH louder than the large size - plus Dracko's right - the rake always seems to have something stuck to it.

I find you have to get the right litter - one that doesn't clump RIGHT AWAY is going to be ridiculous to clean - the sweeper gets stuck and you can hear it whirring repeatedly.

I was back down to one cat and it was working fine, but now that we have Alley it seems to get stuck all the time - I think one or the other isn't covering their pee as well as they should - so I'm thinking of keeping it off permanently - which defeats the purpose! :frustrated:

For one kitty, I say it's good. If you have more than one cat, I wouldn't get more than one automated one - I just had the one, and then the rest were regular boxes.

If you had asked a couple of months ago (before I got Alley) I would have raved about it. Now, not so much. :shrug:

Janie123
December 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
We had a Littermaid automatic one and loved it. It broke down once but my husband fixed it.

onster
December 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
hmmmmm... do u think I could maybe have one and then just bring it out when Im going on said trips? So that it gets minimal use? Maybe then it will last.....

I don't need/want to use it all the time. Would they be scared ofit then though?

The other option would be a petsiiter but to be honest Im wary of strangers in the house.

kit1469
December 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
i was thinking of getting an automatic litter box too but now im not so sure ... i have two cats do i really need two boxes one seems to be working just fine and i only have a small apartment .. also is there any products out there that help the smell?? my kitties poop really stinks :yuck:

phoozles
December 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM
hmmmmm... do u think I could maybe have one and then just bring it out when Im going on said trips? So that it gets minimal use? Maybe then it will last.....

I don't need/want to use it all the time. Would they be scared ofit then though?

They can last for quite a while, and if you order it online like I did, you might get a lifetime or at least a two year warranty for it.

You might have a problem with them being scared of it. My three legged kitty Bernie hated it - in fact, he started using the space behind the TV as a toilet instead of the box. He warmed up to it eventually, but things got stinky for awhile :rolleyes:

You can always give it a test run a couple of days before you leave so they can be used to the rake and the sound it makes.

I still use mine, and as I said, it only broke down once, and I had 4 cats. I've had my new one for about 3 years now with no problems (except for the rake which sometimes has things stuck to it)

onster
December 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM
thanks for the phoozles, I guess I'll give it a try.

Anyone heard of the litter-bot? http://www.litter-robot.com/

It gets really good reviews online, but is crazy expensive!

onster
December 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM
the catgenie is also the same price http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/personal-domestic-robots/robot-pet-care/robot-cat-litter-boxes/petnovations-catgenie-cat-box.html

chico2
December 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Knowing my cats as I do,there is NO WAy they would go in to that Robot thingy:laughing:
I have 2 huge rubbermaid boxes for my 3 cats,they to balance on the edge and do their thing,anyhing that makes any noise would scare them away:cat:

phoozles
December 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
:eek: Wow those are both pretty expensive.

If I were going to lean towards one of them, I'd take the Litter Robot - because as much as we don't love having to deal with the kitties messes at all, seeing the clumps is a good thing if your cat is sick. Plus it seems to do the same as the Littermaid, without using that pesky rake.

Plus it looks like a hilarious kitty spaceship. :D

I didn't really like how it said that it couldn't sense kittens - seems like they need to step up their game a bit, but the 60 guarantee (minus shipping and handling, unfortunately) isn't too shabby.

My problem with the Cat Genie is that it flushes the poop and such away so that you can't see it - plus you have to hook it up to your water system, and pay every time it flushes - could be costly AND a pain.

onster
December 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UeJ7hU5zcuQ --> a vid of the catgenie at work. I think i definately wont go with that one cuz u have to keep buying the sanity solution, hook it up to water and it takes 30 mins to clean! please, my one cat will be hopping around " mommmy I neeed to peeeeee!!"

this are vids of the litter-robot
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8_gs5RQ0Zqc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9BKvuGHrhGk&feature=related

and this is the reaction I fear (haha do u think ure cats would do this chico??):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K1-qddOK2UQ&feature=related

I dunno why it reminds me of Kenny's head (from south park)

onster
December 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
and yes, they are pretty expensive I think boarding would add up too...I wish I had family here to take care of my kities for a few days :sad:.

Currently I have one huge tub, one teeeeny tiny litterbox ( was for hazel when he was a kitten) and one large one that's hooded. Which one do they use the most? the teeeeny tinnny one. lol.

onster
December 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I have 2 huge rubbermaid boxes for my 3 cats,they to balance on the edge and do their thing,anyhing that makes any noise would scare them away:cat:

hahaha at least ure cats dont compete for the litterboxes. My two will try to go in the tiny one at the same time and of course one of their butts is always facing the other's head. God I dread the day when I will have to clean poop of someone heads. They are also poop flingers---think poop on ure nice white walls. hahaha.

I considered givign my cats to friends for a weeek, the reason im enquiring about this now is my whole family is going away for 6 days around xmas..well be a few hours away so wel come back midway through the holiday 2 check up. Im hesitant to take them oevr to friends tho because hazel has pica and I hate to think of the damage he would do to a not hazel proofed home.

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I had a littermaid and one that was round that worked in a similar way. I was always having to clena the scraper and if you don't have clumping litter that clumps fast, you wind up with broken pieces of clumps.

Also the refills are expensive and if you have more than one cat, it get pricey. OH, also you can't fill the box too much, because if you do, the arm goes back and forth forever!!!!

Right now I've just got two boxes and am planning on getting two corner boxes that look like they are pretty roomy. Vlad is getting too big to maneuver around comfortably. I've been lining the boxes with heavy duty liner so cleaning isn't a huge deal.

If I had a choice, I'd keep the litter boxes.

aprilb1
June 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
The CatGenie is the best automatic litter box. Unlike the Littermaid, which was messy and required expensive trays that needed to be replaced, the CatGenie doesn't require you to change litter. It does require a one time DIY hook up to water and also needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet. Unlike traditional litter boxes the CatGenie uses these plastic granules that get washed and dried so you don't need to replace it or buy litter anymore!

Tundra_Queen
June 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi
I have a littermaid, I got it for Willie about 5 years ago. It works pretty well when I use Scoop litter by Purina. I have 3 cats now and they are smaller cats so fit better in it. I also have 3 rubbermaid totes and 1 in the porch that I use as litter boxes too.

Debbie

ancientgirl
June 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'd love to have that cat genie. The only problem is, no way Vlad is going to comfortably fit in that thing.

aprilb1
June 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'd love to have that cat genie. The only problem is, no way Vlad is going to comfortably fit in that thing.

How big is your cat? I've read reviews where people had 15lb cats using the CatGenie without a problem

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Vlad is a big cat. He's about 18 pounds and a little larger than a poodle. :laughing: