Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What NOT to do to solve the bad kitty breath problem

phoozles
December 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'll start off by saying I was around 12 years old when this happened, and I'm not proud of it, but here's what happened.

Our stray, Tiger :rip:, was hanging out in my room, and I noticed her breath smelled really bad (just cat food breath - no bacteria or anything), so I thought I would solve the problem by spraying some breath spray in her mouth - :loser:

DO NOT DO THIS (as if I had to tell you :rolleyes:)

The moment after it happened, she started to foam, trying to get the spray out of her mouth. :yuck: I freaked out and picked her up to bring her down to my mom. I passed my brother's room. He took one look at her foaming mouth and screamed "Drop her, she has rabies!" I didn't have time to tell him what I had done, so I just ignored him and told my mom.

We called the vet, and they said to just rinse out her mouth, which we did and she was just fine, but man did I feel like a fool! :loser:

My only comfort was that a couple years later I was watching some comic on TV doing his act, and he said, "Here's something I learned - never spray breath spray in a cat's mouth - they foam!" Which made me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one to try this :laughing:

ancientgirl
December 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Poor kitty. That's a scary lesson to learn.

Did you know though they have little breath mint type things for cats? LOL, I saw them at the pet store and I thought it was so cute. My cats love them, and it does help.

They come in a little pink tin, and they're called Pit'r Pat.

Shadowkins
December 7th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Now that is too funny! I'm sure you didn't think so at the time .:D

want4rain
December 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM
My only comfort was that a couple years later I was watching some comic on TV doing his act, and he said, "Here's something I learned - never spray breath spray in a cat's mouth - they foam!" Which made me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one to try this :laughing:

ROFLMAO!!!

-ash

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Too funny, glad your kitty was OK, but you were only trying to help :laughing:.

phoozles
December 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yep, lesson learned! :laughing:

I can't get over my brother's reaction - he kept screaming "Rabies Rabies" and I was trying to explain it to him that she didn't have it..

Hilarious now - not so much then, and I learned to accept cat food breath as a way of life :laughing:

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I sort of like the smell of cat breath ... in smaller doses.

But if I may, on the subject of goofy cat anecdotes ...

My borther and I had a nice, thick, toy baloon once, black with thick red lips and white around the eyes, a real minstrel. Anyway, we'd already had the cat (Nussi, the biter) balancing on regular balls but she always fell off, and my brother thought he's try with the baloon becuase it was so big, shurely she would manage to stay on that!

Well, what does a cat do when it looses its' balance? Yup, all claws OUT!

I was downstairs when he tried this experiment on my baloon, and all I remember is a loud bang, a miaouou, and seeing a black streak disappear under the sofa! So fast, I couldn't even see the white on her! :laughing::laughing:

We've laughed at that episode ever since, always ending the hysterics with a hic-up-like "poor pussycat" before laughing our heads off again.

Not mean, not dangerous, but oh so scary for a poor little cat! :sorry: