Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

'Desginer Pet' - Leopard like Cat??!!

Masha
December 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
First people were messing with Desginer dog breeds and now apparently they have moved on to cats!!!

There was an article posted on a Toronto News site (see below) where they discuss a new designer pet trend - a Leopard-like cat :wall: I just dont get this... why??!!!

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_17245.aspx

SARAH
December 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
It's a pretty cat, but what's the idea? There are so many pretty cats already, and more abandonned ones than anyone would care to count. If you want to spend money on a cat, rescue an abandonned one!

want4rain
December 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
the difference between a designer dog and that breed of cat is about $20K and genetic testing. i wouldnt think too much about the ethics of it. if someone pays $22-$28k for a cat, you know they arent eating Kitten Chow and they will have the best vet care money can buy. if i die and come back as a cat... id like it to be one of those!!

PAMPURRED!!

-ash

Masha
December 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
if someone pays $22-$28k for a cat, you know they arent eating Kitten Chow and they will have the best vet care money can buy.
-ash

I am not so sure about that.... The people who pay for a designer 20K cat are most likely getting him/her as an accessory or an item, just like many celebrities get pups as accessories nowadays...I highly doubt that they will care about that animal's mental and physical well being in the long term.
Most likely this 'cat' will be kept untill it goes out of fashion...

phoozles
December 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I came across that site a while ago - their big draw is that they have apparently created the world's first "hypo-allergenic" cats - not just the leopard looking cat, but apparently you can pick out any colouring and type, and they'll hook you up with a cat that doesn't make you sneeze.

I find it a little hard to believe - I'm allergic to cats myself, but I still have two of them. The 'regular' (non leopard) cats still go for around $10 grand, if I can recall correctly.

To be honest, those leopard cats look really cool, and I think it's kind of like buying a rolls royce or a Bentley - they do the same thing as the regular model, but if you have a lot of money, why not? As long as the owners spend that money, as W4R suggested, on good vet care, etc., I don't see how it's much different than buying from a regular licensed breeder - albeit an extremely expensive one.

want4rain
December 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM
also, what difference is it than a doberman versus a GSD? they do genetic testing, they are obviously well cared for, they are stupidly expensive. sounds just like an ethical breeder to me. any dog breeds were created for a purpose. as was this cat. its not like they tossed together a few mutts, gave it a new name and then charged you the high end of what a dog would normally cost from an ethical breeder without a concern for the health of the animal.

-ashley

ancientgirl
December 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
That is a beautiful cat, but heck, I've got two black mini leopards of my own. One didn't cost me a thing, and the other $20 for an adoption fee. I've also got a little 5 pound kitty that thinks he's a lion, and a 3 pound kitty that thinks she's a tiger.

Designer breeds are all about what rich people can spend their money on next. I feel bad for the animals, because you have to wonder how loved it really is.

Masha
December 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
also, what difference is it than a doberman versus a GSD?
-ashley

Ture, I guess it isn't much difference than the GSD on the Dobs.. as long as they end up in the right hands at the end.. I guess i shouldn't really be the one to speak about this as I have a GSD that i bought from a breeder :)

My main concern is that it may become just like any time when they have an animal become famous and there is a hype and people get them without thinking first...

want4rain
December 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM
well, regardless of what us poor people think, the Paris Hiltons of the world are thankfully very rare. even those richy rich folks dont drop $25k+ on something without thinking real hard about it.

no matter how you cut it, companions end up in good homes and bad homes no matter how hard we try. i bet its far more likely that a $25k+ feline will be treated better than a $100 feline regardless of its pedigree. statistically folks are much more careful with something they spend CONSIDERABLY more money on.

-ash

mafiaprincess
December 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
They plan on offering a hypoallergenic dog in 2009..
for 15,000 dollars.
So many breeds ot pick from to possibly limit allergies.. but no, you could buy a designer expensive one..

MoodIndigo1
December 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
One of the reasons those pets cost so much is because of the high failure rate involved. Many kittens have to be destroyed at birth because they're defective, others soon develop unsuitable (wild) temperaments and cannot be sold-- are usually bred again (at best) or euthanized.

That sort of business is a crying shame, a real crime. I did all kinds of research last year when I saw a picture of a Savannah cat, a beautiful animal, but at what cost!

Kristin7
December 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
You hit it right on the head, MoodIndigo1 - I was also wondering how many animals were destroyed in the creation of this breed. And if they weren't destroyed, there certainly were many that would need homes that weren't good examples of the breed (as if there aren't enough of those anyway!). Working in biotech, I know that something like this isn't created overnight and there are many failures involved. Since we are talking about pet cats, as beautiful as this breed is, I don't think it is worth it. If people buy the animals, the company is going to get the profit it wants. The way to stop this is for people to not purchase the animals. I do have to wonder how many would fork this much out for a cat, though obviously there are many in the world who have lots of $$. Still, I wouldn't be surprised of the company goes out of business.

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
And so many beautiful cats sitting in rescues waiting for homes, that cost pennies just for the adoption fees.