Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray kitty update II

ancientgirl
December 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well, I've decided to do what I can to take this girl in. Right now I can't, I don't have the money to take her to the vet and have her looked at. I'd have to do that before I brought her into my home. I'm still at the stage where Kiska and Maks are getting their vaccinations and I still have to get them S&N.

I'm saving money where I can, and I usually get money from my dad for Christmas, so I'll do what I can to put as much away as I can so that I can get my two little ones situated and then I can take stray kitty(Czarina) to the vet and have her checked out.

They would have to give her the basic tests, and any vaccinations she might need, and check to see if she's Spayed and if not I'd have to do that. She also needs a bath and a basic cleaning. Her ears look a bit dirty so they would need to clean her there too.

I go downstairs to pet her every day. I took down food to the old man who is the grounds keeper a few days ago, and he told me that when he comes in to work, he sees her sitting there looking in the direction I come. He says she waits for me. :cry: He says she doesn't do that with anyone but me.

I don't know why this particular girl has affected me so much. Don't get me wrong, I always feel sad when I see a stray dog or cat, but this one has hit me hard. So much so that I feel the need to bring her into my home and take care of her.

I'm a bit scared though, because that's 5 cats in an apartment. My apartment isn't tiny, but it's not huge either. I'd have to put a litter box in the downstairs powder room like I used to, because I'd need a bigger box than the one I currently have downstairs. That would mean I'd have to put a cat door into the wall so they could get in there and still allow me to put the screen to keep them from getting out the front door.

I pray every day for the lord to give me the means to help her and to be able to keep my own well fed and healthy.

I don't know when, but until I am able to bring her into my home, I'm going to keep taking her food to the grounds keeper. He feeds her and I've told him to leave me a note on my door when he is running short.

Wish me luck folks.:pray:

14+kitties
December 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Bless you and good luck!!!!
:fingerscr She would benifit greatly from being in a warm, loving home.

ancientgirl
December 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thank you, I need all the luck and positive energy I can get.

I think she wants to be in a warm home. She loves being petted, and I think she would thrive in a happy home.

14+kitties
December 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
But 5 would be it, right? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Until you found the next one anyway................ ;)

Melinda
December 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I just sent you a pm *S*:fingerscr

ancientgirl
December 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
But 5 would be it, right? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Until you found the next one anyway................ ;)

No 5 is it. I just can't! I can't over crowd my apartment and I don't want to over stress all of the kitties with so many others around. Right now they can all pretty much find their own spot, but any more than 5 and I'd be pushing it.

krdahmer
December 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Ya we tried to use the small apartment arguement to stop at 5... you see how well that worked for us!!! :rolleyes::laughing:

Maybe you could ask for an advance on your xmas gift from your dad... ;) lol

I'm sure you'll find a way, and that little cat really knows how to pick 'em! She's no silly kitty she knew just whose heart strings to pull...:pray::lovestruck:

ancientgirl
December 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Well, I'm getting a Christmas bonus this year too, so depending on how much that is, I can put that towards the fund.

It's just a lot at once. I need to get the mini-dynamic duo S&N and I know that's going to be close to $300 maybe more. And if I have to get my little stray Spayed, that's another $190+. At the very least, I'd like to get her into see the vet.

I do have time off during the holidays, so if I can get her to see the vet at that time, I can be at home and try to get her used to the indoors and the other kitties. Mainly, I don't know how she'd take to a litter box. Hopefully she'll figure it out easily.

I've got to take Kiska and Maks to get their vaccinations this weekend, so I'll see if they can give me an estimate one what it will cost me to have her checked, deflead, and dewormed if need be.

Dracko
December 7th, 2007, 12:32 AM
You remind me of myself. I never dreamed I'd have FIVE cats. Not that I wouldn't love to have a houseful, but I just thought "only crazy people" actually have that many. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The only thing stopping me now is what you are saying. You can't sacrifice the quality of life of your animals just to keep bringing more in. My house feels balanced right now and the kittens are still getting used to things (they get fixed next week). I have a sense I will maybe adopt an older cat one day, though. If one needed a home and was really passive (as all my cats are) I would consider it after the kittens settle in. But...shhhhh..don't tell anyone. I already get the :eek: look when I tell people I have five plus a GSD. :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
December 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I really don't think I can handle more than one more cat. Right now mine are all healthy, thank god. And I am able to feed them good food and keep them in a good environment. None of my cats want for anything and I can probably swing one more cat, and live with 5, but any more and I'd be doing a disservice to all of them, especially Vlad and Oksana who were my first and had run of the house and me for a while.

krdahmer
December 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Try talking to your vet and see if they can give you a break on a sort of spay neuter all three... or mention that she is a stray and you are planning to work with her and have her join your house... sometimes vets give a break to people who are taking strays off the street.

And I know what you are saying about not wanting to upset the balance... for Smoke's sake I should have stopped at 4, as having all these new additions after her was very stressful on her, and at times I do feel bad for that. But I am working extra hard at trying to show her how special she still is and trying to get the boys to ease up on buggin her. Windy never had an issue with the new additions, she knows she's the boss and won't be relinquishing that title anytime soon... but Smoke and Fagan seem to be a bit affected by so many others. My hope is to have a larger house for them next fall and hopefully that will ease the tension and give them more personal space. I just couldn't say no to Palomine or Asker... and can't imagine not having even one of my babies... but I have definitely decided that 6 is enough, I will continue to do what I can and rehome and maybe even foster when I have more space, but I can't add any more to this house.

I think you'll be alright adding this girl, as all of your guys are very young still... they seem to do better with change when they are young. I think what was more stressful than anything for mine was that except for Fagan they were all introduced as adult cats... already set in their ways and not so good at sharing attention. My house runs great now though, we have hairy days but they all mostly have their 'mommy' times and spots staked out.:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
December 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
That is my fear. Vlad and Oksana took to Maks and Kiska quite quickly and I was happy for that. I don't know how old this girl is, and I know she's been on her own for a while, so that's something to consider.

Vlad and Oksana are very independent. Even before the new additions. I always thought Oksana would be my lap kitty, but she doesn't like being carried much, and Vlad never has either. But he does like to sleep next to me at night, and Oksana always crawls into bed with me in the early mornings for her daily petting. Maks and Kiska have each other to play with, and I give them some alone time too.

If I was able to add this girl, she would be the last one, period end of story. I just can't do it with 6 cats. It would be a major strain on my budget and eventually a strain on them. And I won't do that to them.

I'm going to talk to the vet tomorrow. Maks and Kiska are due for their shots, so I'll ask her about having a look at this girl and spaying her and see if they can give me a break on some of her care.