Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please tell me Im not wrong here....

sassiebaz
December 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ok, Ive posted my situation with my min-pin puppy(see thread about puppy with seizure). Here is the full story, I know it's long but please read and give me opinions/advice.....So, I bought little ginger from a lady on the street corner which I know is not a good thing. I just fell in love with her and had to get her. So, initially she was a christmas present for my 10 year old but she became my little baby. We snuggled in bed at night and she really acted like I was her mommy. 8 days later she had the seizures, 3 in a 3 hour period. Foaming at the mouth, full blown incapacitating seizures. I called the lady that I bought her from and told her something was wrong. The vet told me that she needed MRI's and tests and I was so overwhelmed. I told the breeder I could not afford the vet and that something was wrong with her. She offered to take her back and get her looked at and that if the vet determined she had been injured in some way that I'd possibly be responsible and that she would NOT refund my money for the dog. Butm that if she was sick, they could work something out with me. I ended up agreeing to let her take the dog. We met around 1pm and I called at 5pm to follow up . That is when she said the vet diagnoses Encephalitis and that 3 scenarios had taken place....injury,poisoning, or congenital. At that point I just told her we would cut our losses and she even offered to buy my kennel and give me a "discount" on another pup. I told her Id call later. Today I called and asked for my kennel back and she was appalled. She said she was out $105 and felt "put-out". I told her I was out $275 and a puppy that my daughter was grieving over. I also said I talked to my vet and she interrupted me saying my vet hadn't seen the dog. I said to her that her vet gave 3 possible scenarios and that we did not have any definates on what happend. shje has agreed to meet me tomorrow to return the kennel and the dogs collar as my daughter want to keep it to remember Ginger by. I am to the point that Id like to file a small claim against her. I did not have a contract but I also think she should either give me my money back or another puppy. What fair? Do I have any recourse???

Frenchy
December 5th, 2007, 08:42 PM
The only thing I can tell you is , I wouldn't take any other puppy from her !

CearaQC
December 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Thought popped into my head as I was reading...

There is a technique listed on the internet which says when a pup isn't coming around fast enough after birth, to hold it in the hands in a certain way and give a little swing to allow gravity to help clear out breathing passages.

I do not trust nor would I personally do this method and just using it as basis... wondering if the lady did that to the puppy you obtained.

Maybe someone else can answer this question, if someone does that to a puppy and does it incorrectly, or worse ends up slinging the puppy across the room... could that induce such an injury to cause future death of the puppy as in this case?

If this is the case it would be awfully difficult to prove. :shrug:

Is she a backyard breeder by chance.

Just my :2cents:

t.pettet
December 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Just to clarify: what is your question?

breeze
December 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I would probably take my losses and have nothing I mean nothing to do with this women again.. Then I would spread the news about her to friends neighbours so that it will never happen again...
explain to your daughter that it is impossible to get the collar back and when the time is right and you get another pup the memories will be much better.. and that the pup need the collar to remember HER by..JIMO

sassiebaz
December 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Just to clarify: what is your question?

Was I wrong in asking for a refund? Did I do something to injure the dog? I believe from everything I read, encephalitis is a disease. Should I take her to small claims court? Do I have a case? Im so emotional so I wasn't sure what to say, or how to deal with this. The lady ended up making me feel something I did was to blame. I loved Ginger, I did not harm her or cause anything else to harm her. Could this have happened before I got her?

sassiebaz
December 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Is she a backyard breeder by chance.

Just my :2cents:[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, I know, I should not have gone that route. It was an impulse, we fell in love her her on a street corner.(that sounds like a song)

t.pettet
December 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I am sorry for your loss. You met a lady on the street who was selling pups and you bought one. She most certainly was a back yard breeder or a broker for a byb, eithical people don't sell dogs that way. Either the pup was a genetic mess from birth or she was dropped by someone. Having any further dealings with this woman won't replace Ginger, it will just get you tangled in a more stressful, expensive situation - court costs are expensive. No court will grant you a new pup without a warranty/replacement contract from her (which you don't have) and would you want another (maybe sickly) replace- ment puppy from this witch? Get your kennel back if possible, get in touch with a rescue in your area through petfinder or through your vet's office, cut your losses and learn from this sad mistake.

Love4himies
December 6th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I would not accept another puppy from her.

sassiebaz
December 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Well, I got the kennel and collar back. She would not offer a refund or new puppy....which I wouldnt take a new one anyway. Then she proceeded to tell me that I could not have been watching her 24/7 and that something probably happened that I wasnt aware of it. That she had the dog for 10 weeks and she was fine. I was ticked!!! I said absolutely nothing happened in my care, I have another dog and a toddler so she could not have ingested any poisons. So, it's over now, I learned my lesson. Thak you all for the support.....what a week!!!

SARAH
December 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Just my :2cents: but, why not go to a shelter and see if there isn't a sweet doggie you'd like to give a home to as a Christmas present :thumbs up It could have issues too, but at least you're doing something good for that animal and it knows it! Believe me, a rescued animal, cat or dog, knows that it's been picked over all the others at the shelter, and they are thankful in their own sweet way.

sassiebaz
December 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I totally agree with you. That is usually the route I would have taken. I got this puppy against my husbands wishes and I made a mistake. W always go to the shelter to look. We had actually had decided against another dog but I let my emotions get in the way when we saw ginger on the street corner. We will wait awhile before getting another animal. At this point Im just trying to recover as well as help my daughter recover. But, next time we will go to the shelter....I have put Gingers pic on my avatar.....may she RIP

breeze
December 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
sassiebaz we ALL make mistakes!! stop beating yourslefe up about it..

as long as you have nothing to do with this women again, you will get through it.. give yourself a little time and things will work out..

:grouphug::grouphug:

sassiebaz
December 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ok, Im done beating myself up over this. However, I did call the breeder and ask for a refund. She then decided to tell me that her husband made a comment to her the day I bought the puppy and that was "that dogs gonna have a rough life" she claims that was due to the activity level of my children....I was floored! That's total crap! My 3 yr old wasn't even holding any of the dogs as I wouldn't allow it. My 10 yr old is very good with animals, very kind and gentle. She was just trying to make a jab at me. she also stated she would not feel good about giving me another puppy. She said she could accuse me of killing HER puppy. I even said I'd take the difference in what I paid for the dog and the amount she had to pay to put her down. She said she needs a day or two and she'd call me. I also had spoke to her vet before I called her today. They had no diffinitive diagnosis as to why Ginger had encephalitis. They said if it was viral, it would have started weeks before we got her. Therefore, it may not have been something that happened at my home. Anyways, I will wait to hear from her, but in my state, I can file a small claim against her and here in my county, the sherriff hates animal abusers, including backyard breeders! Thanks all of you for your support!!