Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

St. Bernard & Huskies??

SPEEDYGO
December 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
hello every1 i just wanted to ask a ??will a St. Bernard & Huskies get along.i have a female she is fixed she is 17months and male not fixed he is 14months.want to buy a St. Bernard for my gf she lovew them and was hoping to get her 1 for xmas

luckypenny
December 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Honestly, I don't think it's ever a good idea to choose and buy a dog as a gift for someone else regardless of the breed. As a matter of fact, many reputable/responsible breeders make sure they don't have litters at this time of year.

As for St. Bernards and Huskies, I don't think the breeds matter. What's important is whether or not your dogs get along with others. How's your female with other females...your un-neutered male with other un-neutered males (could be asking for trouble here, especially if you are inexperienced). You have to be prepared, committed, and willing to work with any problems that may arise.

As an alternative, why don't you consider buying tickets and taking your girlfriend to a dog show for a Christmas gift (make it a weekend get-away :lightbulb:). This way she could get to know the breed better and personally meet and direct her questions/concerns to the breeders themselves.

TeriM
December 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I agree with Luckypenny. It is definately a case by case basis and will greatly depend on the dogs. Un-neutered males can often be problematic even if they are not the issue but because other dogs can feel threatened by the "male scent".

Another thing to consider is that is three young and very large dogs so are you sure you have the appropriate room, time and energy to handle this?

Good luck.

rainbow
December 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I agree with both Lucky penny and TeriM.

I would also like to add that your Sibes are gorgeous. :lovestruck: But why is your male not neutered? Are you aware of all the risks?

SPEEDYGO
December 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
thx for all your reply as for not being neutered we were thinking of breeding.we are not 100% if we going to do it.

H.P.
December 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I am no expert, but judging from the Huskies and St. Bernards that I know, the Huskies are far more likely to be the fighters. The saints, if you will, are. They are far more laid back. I have nothing against Huskies, they are actually one of my favorite breeds, they just seem to have more of a pack mentality, and need to prove their status in the pack than other breeds.

If I were you, I would let your girlfriend pick out the puppy she wants (that way, when it pees on the floor, she can't blame you :D)

SPEEDYGO
December 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
LOL :lightbulb::thumbs up:stork-baby:

TeriM
December 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
thx for all your reply as for not being neutered we were thinking of breeding.we are not 100% if we going to do it.

You'll find that we are a very pro spay & neuter board here. Many people here volunteer and foster for rescues and see soooooo many neglected and unwanted dogs and health issues caused from backyard breeders :sad:. We all just want everyone to help control the pet population (makes me sound like Bob Barker :laughing:). Plus there are a lot of health benefits to spaying and neutering :thumbs up.

Love to see pics of your huskies :).

Frenchy
December 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
You'll find that we are a very pro spay & neuter board here. Many people here volunteer and foster for rescues and see soooooo many neglected and unwanted dogs and health issues caused from backyard breeders :sad:. We all just want everyone to help control the pet population (makes me sound like Bob Barker :laughing:). Plus there are a lot of health benefits to spaying and neutering :thumbs up.

Love to see pics of your huskies :).

I second that ! Please start by getting your male neutered. I you decide to adopt one more , it will be easier for the dogs to all get along. :thumbs up

breeze
December 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
We had a female huskey, spayed, She did not like any other dog coming into her pack, she would become very aggressive.. when we did bring another dog into the house we made sure that we met before hand to make sure thing were good..
I would recomend that if you are going to bring another pup into the pack that you make sure you bring your dogs to meet the newcomer BEFORE you make a decession and a commentment.. cause pups, dogs are for life......