Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is It True??

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Is it true in canada you dont have to pay for health ins???

Kona Dawg
June 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
kind of, for Canadians its a basic right to medical service just like education.
Most people also have auxilary medical coverage through their jobs though.

say that you had to go stay at the hospital, the gov. would pay for you to stay in ward (big room, lots of other patients) with supplemental insurance, you could get a semi private, or private room at no extra cost.

for any meds you get in the hospital, the gov pays for them, from the pharmacy either you do, or your insurance.

same with dental.

basically the gov only pays for basic medical coverage, and either the person or the insurance has to pony up the rest.

oh ya, and I should add, its not exactly free, you should see our taxes!
Personally the gov. pulls about 30% off of every pay, plus my property taxes, plus provincial sales tax, plus goods and services tax on most things you buy, plus plus plus...

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
WOW that is crazy,so is the cost of living hi..Like a decent one bedroom apt would run about how much?? In american $

mona_b
June 2nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Yes it's true....

But there are some things not covered with O.H.I.P(Ontario Hospital Insurence Plan)..

There is certain blood work we do have to pay for.We do have to pay for an Ambulance if we need one.

Cosmetic Surgery.Laser Eye Surgery.Dentist.These are just a few.

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
I find this very interesting,so what about the pay scale there?? Do jobs pay decent money??? Like here minimum wage is $5.75 an hour..Which no one could ever survive on..

Kona Dawg
June 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
WOW that is crazy,so is the cost of living hi..Like a decent one bedroom apt would run about how much?? In american $

In Ottawa, a decent 1 bedroom is about $750-$850 canadian, so about $650-$700 yankee bucks

mona_b
June 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM
It depends where the area is..

Some one bedrooms can run you $700 up to $1200 a month.This is in Canadian money.A friend of mine here in hamilton has a 2-bedroom apt.She pays $660 a month.Yet another friend has a 1-bedroom apt and pays $800...Go figure

Now remember,this is Canadian.

mona_b
June 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Minimum wage is $7.00

Kona Dawg
June 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
I was paying $875 for a decent two bedroom last year in Ottawa (pop about 1 million), When my brother was living in Timmins (pop about 150 000) (up in Northern Ontario) he was paying $550 for the equivelant

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2004, 05:57 PM
Yes heidiho, here you can have major surgery and it doesn't cost anything, but we have to pay 15% tax on EVERYTHING.:(

In Quebec, you can get a 1 bedroom apt for 400$+, depending on location.

deerclan
June 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
We have what is called OHIP it covers quite a bit to many to list.example my daughter needed a steel rod put in her back,This 9 hour operation in the USA would of cost over 50 thousand dollars.If you need eye glasses certain medications or special assistance at home you need extra insurance most people get this extra insurance through their work places here.

Medication for 2 of my kids run about $120.00 a month without our insurance it would cost us well over $400.00 a month.

Our Dental plan pays 100%

The only downfall to living in Canada is our leaders are idiots... :D

DeerClan

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM
OK!! I guess that is about the same here, a luxury apt here is about 800. one bedroom,of course i dont live there[hee!!hee!!]

deerclan
June 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
Please dont go there about the tax.I payed a little under $30,000 this year at tax time. :eek:
My father at tax time some years was paying double what i payed. :eek:

But i guess if you want all these free services they give us you gotta pay :D
As Canadians we pay through the nose and then some.

DeerClan

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
Oh!!So that is where they make up the difference in you taxes???

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
You paid 30,000. in taxes,my god i dont even make that in a year..............

cmt489
June 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Costs of real estate (rental and purchase) vary greatly across the country (remember, Canada is geographically bigger than the US so we are talking about a lot of territory!!) The two most expensive cities tend to be Vancouver and Toronto. Here in Vancouver there is currently a bit of a higher vacancy rate than usual (used to be less than 1%) so rents have not gone up in a while but, to live in a good area of the city proper, will run you anywhere from $800.00 (Cdn) upwards to rent a one bedroom. A decent priced one bedroom on the west side of town will likely start around $1000.00 per month. When I was renting before my condo was done, I was paying $1350.00 per month for a 700 sq ft one bedroom. Mind you, it was in a trendy area of town...

Minimum wage also varies by province. Here in BC it is currently $8.00 (Cdn) per hour. Re taxes, again that varies by province. All across Canada we have to pay 7% tax on all goods and services. Provincial sales taxes, similar to state taxes, vary from province to province. Alberta has the lowest (none) and Newfoundland has the highest - what it is, I am not sure. Here in BC it is 7.5%.

Based on my observations, having lived briefly in the US, our wages seem comperable to the US with the exception that your VERY high paying professions do not seem to pay as high. For instance, doctors make a lot of money here but not millions of dollars per year. Same with lawyers. Also, our personal income tax rates are higher. That being said, I don't know of too many Canadians in these professions that would choose to leave simply to make more money!

For example, I don't have any urge to go to the US to practice law. I love where I live and I am a very proud Canadian!!

Michelle

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 06:29 PM
Yeah that is about the same here..I understand what you mean about not leaving Canada,I could not imagine living anywhere but the U.S. ......... Sure do have some pretty beautiful places there.........

cmt489
June 2nd, 2004, 06:31 PM
But Deerclan, while you paid $30,000 in taxes last year (and I assume you are only speaking of income tax), this does not tell the whole story. Depending on the province you live in, you probably made close to $100,000 to pay that amount...

I don't know, I really don't feel that I "pay through the nose" considering the services we receive in this country, the size of the country we have to run and the size of the tax base. I guess I am in that VERY rare group that does not complain about the taxes I pay every year (and yes, I do pay a lot of money in taxes....)

Michelle

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
OK!!! That is alot of taxes,but for pretty much free healthcare i guess that is a good thing,although what if you dont ever really go to doctor?? I know i hardly ever have to....Kind of like paying car ins,i have to but never have been in accident,so i hate paying it,where is all my monthly payments going anyway.hhhhmmmmmmmmm

deerclan
June 2nd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Yes Michelle im complaining :) But i wouldn't complain if our government were to spend our tax dollars a little more responsible like our latest government blunder with the sponsor scandal,Just think of what that money could of been used for.Example could of poured it into healthcare or housing for the poor. :)

Yet then again we dont live in a perfect world. :D

DeerClan

cmt489
June 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Yet then again we dont live in a perfect world. :D

Now isn't that the truth! :D :D

Iggette
June 2nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
And I might add, If you don't want to live in the city and like country livin you can live even cheaper and get more. I pay $800.00/month for a farm house with 5 bedrooms and tons of land around I can't even see my neighbours and we have use of the barnspace for storage.
We don't have the convenience of just walking to the store in 5 minutes perhaps a 45 minute walk but hey I love it here would never go back to the city :cool:

Kona Dawg
June 2nd, 2004, 09:13 PM
I would also prefer to live in the country, and I am going to move back to it some point in the future. while the real estate fee's are cheaper, you have to take into account the extra cost of gas, and car maintenance to drive in to the city for work and what not. My parents live in the country also, nearest neighbor is 1/8 km away. When they go to work during the week though they put a combined total of 300 km on the vehicles per day.(one way is 75 km)

chico2
June 2nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Coming from a country with high taxes,Sweden,we were already used to it :D
But you get what you pay for,as the saying goes....
Two of my sons have both had extensive medical-treatments,one has had 2 openheart-surgeries,one had brainsurgery and we did not pay anything,other tan taxes of course,but well worth it.
And we do have 100% coverage for meds and things from my husband workplace.
I believe Universal Healthcare should be available to everyone,in all our travels to the US,the one thing people wanted was Healthcare,for rich and poor alike. Medicalcare if you are sick is to me a very basic,very important right everyone should have.
Granted,in the last few years things have deterioated,but I can still get the care I need,without getting a bankloan.
In a democracy,we all pay taxes to enjoy the services we all might need one day.
In Alberta where taxes are lower,a trip with an Ambulance 3yrs ago cost $240 and they pay $135/premium every 3 month for a single person.
Here an ambulance was $40,but that's a few years ago and as maybe everyone knows,we in Ontario will also be paying healthcare premiums,just another tax,I would say.
I was always 100%Liberal,but I think I'll vote for the Green Party this time around :D

Catt31
June 4th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Alberta's min. wage is $5.90

A decent apt. downtown Calgary will run ya anywhere from $700 - $1500 (luxury suites obviously). We rent a 2 bdrm house for $650 in an older neighbourhood but its close to the river!!! Brick's favourite place!! :D

Alberta only pays 7% taxes (GST) as we are fortunate to not have to pay provincial sales tax - and if we travel to other provinces and purchase stuff there, we can claim the provincial sales taxes that we paid there, and get reimbursed!! :D But then again, if Klein gets voted back in, who knows what will happen...the man is a menace........disgusting!! I will stop there..... :mad:

Bill & Bob
June 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM
$5.90 an hour????? That's incredible! Incredibly low that is! Do you find that lots of places actually pay that wage? I guess they would. Many businesses will always resort to the lowest common denominator. I can't imagine anyone living anywhere living for that wage.

I believe the min wage in BC is around $9/hr, but can't say for sure.

My new boss told me the other day that he believes everyone from the neck down is worth at least $10 an hour. I thought that was a great line.

Bill & Bob
June 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM
PS Catt...Go flames go!

chico2
June 5th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Billy-Bob.minimum wage here in Ontario used to be $6.95 and I think now it's a little over $7,but that is why we have soo many food-banks,people just cannot live on minimum wage.....but some have to.
I agree $10 should be min,but then all those CEO's would not get their millions in pay and bonuses.
GO FLAMES GO!!!

melanie
June 5th, 2004, 05:21 PM
i have always felt really sorry for the american people, now i only get this form tv and other people (have never been there), but i heard that they dont have any medical coverge paid by the government, and that insurance must be either paid for by individual or covered under wages. that would be jsut terrible, do you have any form of free medical treatment?? seems a bit harsh if you ask me. here we have a system called medicare, it is ok, you get free pubic treatment in hospitals and some dental, you also get a part repayment for doctor cost if you are not on a welfare payment (public dentists are often students ect, oh have i suffered at their hands) and if you earn over $50k you will have to pay a big percentage to medicare, os at this point most go private. although my local hospital has mysteriously killed 23 helathy people in the past 2 years so i would rather take my chances at home anyway.
our minimum wage is around $9 for an adult, a teenager can still get $6 an hour ( double $us = 1 $AU)and we have a government sales tax (ha) that places 10% on most items.
our rent- i have a 3 bedroom house with good backyard, $225 per week, $900pm. that is pretty standard they can go alot higher and some a little lower in the small country towns, i know in sydney centre and surrounding suburbs an apartment goes for around $400-$600 per week for a standard (and that is nothing fnacy), so $1600-$2000 a month. i think it is a joke they are so expensive and i worry often that sydney will swollow itself, you should see house prices, :eek: .
in the state of queensland australia the med services are great as they are funded bythe state lottery, always money there.
now lets not talk the price of tertairy eucation, the government like to give huge loans, boy i am never going to give back my $35000 in a hurry, and i hope to have printed on my grave, proudly, nothing but 'died with her hecs debt' :p :D .
is the canadian dollar very different to the US, and does it cause big probs at the boarder?? and i know that canada is metric and the USA not, so does this cause major confusion??

Bill & Bob
June 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Chico, I haven't lived in Ontario for about 10 years but I thought it was higher than that now? Then again I was surprised about Alberta too so what do I know. Wow, that's brutal. With regard to the food banks, having been a poverty advocate in the past I came across a number of people who actually had problems with the fact that they existed. In principle that is. People shouldn't have to go and get food from a food bank, they should be able to pay for their food themselves. That should be a right. Now before anyone freaks, understand I don't necessarily agree with this theory. However, the logic continues further. If you've frequented a food bank recently, you know that in order to get anything (at least this is the way it is in Vancouver), you have to register. In order to register, you must be able to provide them with a piece of picture ID, and proof of your receiving welfare. Now if you have your stuff together like that, one should reasonably be able to be expected to buy your own food. So...the arguement is that food banks simply further your state of poverty by enabling it to continue.

Again, just a theory. My problem with the food bank is that someone who is truly homeless and destitute may have problems because they don't have picture ID (can't afford it) or have proof of welfare status because they don't have proof of residency, thus no welfare. That's basically the way welfare works in BC. There are obviously more complications in there that I haven't gone through but that's the nutshell version. Many theories to consider. I haven't totally decided on one yet.

Melanie my dear you have opened up a can of worms that could spread a mile wide. I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like you described the medical system in the US pretty well. But again, I don't know what I'm talking about since everything I know about it is from TV as well. While Canada does have great medical services, ask any Canadian at this point and they will tell you it's going to be a major factor in our upcoming election. At least that's the way it's being painted in the media. The costs of medical services in Canada appears to have gone completely out of control and probably won't exist the way it is now for long. I haven't got a clue as to what we should do to fix it, but everyone who knows anything about economics tells me our system is seriously flawed.

What you said about rent is pretty much the same here. You move to big urban centres and you are going to pay huge amounts of rent. Downtown Vancouver apartments are brutally expensive. I couldn't even afford a 400sq. foot bachelor apartment down there.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference in the dollar is today. I think a Canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents American. somewhere around there. Not too many problems at the border. You just pay duty and taxes on everything all over again. The metric system difference doesn't seem to create too many problems. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

melanie
June 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
food banks, never heard of them outside the depression. our welfare system is very good and a recipient will get a fortnightly payment to cover rent and food and the rest, you get around AU$400 perfortnight. and although hard, it is possible to live on the small sum temporarily, but i do know people that have lived happily on it for up to 5 years, they dont kick you of it ever, just try to get you to get a job. and if you are desperate for food or bill payment such as electricity (you need to be on welfare) you can go to the charities and get food or tickets to pay the electricity bill. we also have a single parent payment and disability, single parents should be paid better but do get a minimum payment to (doesnt make life easier though).
sorry for that can of worms, i didnt know i had one, sheesh typical of me isnt it :D . it is just hard for me to wrap my brain around not having free medical and welfare, really reminds me of how lucky this country is.
i have always liked some of the welfare policies of teddy rosevelt (only studied it at school, never lived it so could be way of here). that whole everyone deserves the basics thing and then you can go from there idea. a bit of a good idea me reckons :D but then i might just be totally of base wiht that one, you never know :p ;)
isnt it funny how expensive housng is around the world, but then again if you go right out to the sticks you can get a fantastic bargain, you just have to live in the middle of nowhere for it, oh well thats the price we pay :D

Catt31
June 6th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Oopppsss....my mistake! My neice corrected me (she is 17) and Min. wage here is $6.... :o A friend of my sister's had a baby in the States, she said it cost her about $10,000....... holy crap!!! Does that sound correct to the Americans on here??? Wow...thats a lot just to squeeze out a baby!!! LOL

G O F L A M E S G O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG last nights game was INtENSE!! I thought I was going to have a heartattack!!! And now have NO voice today from screaming so loud!! !LOL
The city is absolutely NUTS...and would have been 100 times worse had we won last night!!! YIKES!!!! MONDAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! The cup deserves to be here, we've waited LONG enough!!!! :D

melanie
June 6th, 2004, 04:41 PM
oh catt, that is soo cute, i am so glad your team won, but with supporters like you im sure it helps :D .
i will not repeat what i just said when i read the cost of that baby, boy hope no one was walking past either, i may have just curled their hair :p . in aus it is free to have a baby. we have a declining population level so the government are giving incentives to have babies, it used to be an $800 payment when you had the baby and another payment when inocculation had occured, as of the first of july the government will give every new mum a $3000 payment and tax incentives also better paid maternity leave, and by 2006 that payment will be $8000. wow we are lucky. ;)

chico2
June 6th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Billy-Bob,since the killer Harris/Eves government cut wellfare by 23%,I happen to know,a single person down on his/her luck,gets $520/per month,this is for rent,food and transportation..you would have to be a magician,to live on that,when renting just a room is at least $450/month.Without all the food-banks some people would just not survive,it's sad but true...
I know,most people say,those wellfare bums should get a job!
But it is not always that simple.....and if they cannot find a place to live,they loose their housing allowance and recieve only $195/per month.
I grew up very poor,with a mom on wellfare and it was certainly not easy...

melanie
June 6th, 2004, 05:04 PM
and again i will not repeat what i just said, oh the neighbors must think i have become a pirate. :p . that is just shocking, i cant imagine a government lasting a day after cutting welfare (we would have thrown them out), and by that much, just shocking. boy share housing must be big over there, i cant imagine anyone can afford to live alone on that pay, i cant imagine anyone would voluntarily stay on that payment either. in australia the dole is ok, one can live on it and still get by comfortable (no lavish lifestyles but can still afford a beer and cloths every now and again) $AU800 per month, not many people abuse it but i do know people who have been on it for at least 5 years and the government doesnt mind. you can even come here from new zealand and get the dole after a while (in the country one can still rent a small flat/apartment style house for $100 per week). $195 a month, how can anyone feed themselves on that let alone buy nice cloths for job interviews or transport money to job interviews. no one would ever go hungry or cold here, and here i am despising the howard government, boy, i thought our single parents were hard done by, boy oh boy was i wrong, my sister is single mum and works part time and recieves the parent payment, even she still struggles though. one day will governments just stop looking after people??gee we are the lucky country (but i still dont like the howard government, no matter how i try :D :p )

cutelittlemako
June 6th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Chico, I worked for a "Welfare" office here in Ottawa, and you should see the abuse going on in the system! It needs to be cleaned up. Some rich people are on welfare and don't need it and that's why the people who deserve it can't get enough money. I worked there when Harris was P.M. and I saw that changes that occured and they are way better. An "Ontario works" program was actually implemented and people have to give more effort to receive their cheques. Overall I was very impressed with the way things were going. I think the people who really did deserve the money were happier with the system too, it was people who rolled in the parking lot with Lexus' that were not too happy about how things were going (you can have any car you want when you're on Welfare, as long as it is leased and not owned - so some clients had way nicer cars than their social workers...).

Further, my dad has a small company that employs about 10 - 15 people full time or on a seasonal basis, and let me tell you, with the tax cuts made by the government, when the conservatives were in, it was easier to have more employees, sometimes he did not have to "lay off" someone when the work was low, he could just keep them doing maintenance work, so they did not have to go on unemployment.

I understand that some cuts are good, some are bad, but I just want to state that you have to look at both sides of the issue. By my own experiences (helping people that are on welfare), the changes were good, and most of the nice clients I talked to agreed.

Also, frauding was made much more difficult to do with the new system - something that costs everybody!

Chany
June 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM
You are so right cutelittlemako!! The abuse of the system is sickening!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with them working for their money. I do agree single mothers should be supplemented with at least free child care while they are working, and disabled people provided they are truly disabled. Some people just know how to scam the system!! I also think if it was truly that hard to survive on welfare there wouldn't be as many people on it as there is!
I mean wouldn't you get a job? Any job?

melanie
June 6th, 2004, 07:28 PM
it is hard, no system sadly cannot be mongrel proofed, there will always be someone out there trying to get something for nothing. but there are more helped than those who steal, and there will always be bad apples. i cant imagine anyone who really wants a job would mind system changes, most changes are to get people more jobs or looking harder for jobs, we have work for the dole here. the dole recipient does some training courses and work for the community, most people like it and are glad of the skills and routine and also they get alot of help to find work and some cloths for interviews, but sometimes there just arent enough jobs for everyone. and it seems businesses are closing daily and laying off workers, poor buggers, it must be a hard situation to be in. ah economics, i just dont quite get it all...

Catt31
June 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
They haven't won YET, Mel!!! The last game is tomorrow night...its do or die for the Flames!!! But I have faith...they'll bring it home!!!

I can only speak for Alberta, but our premier (like a governor) is very big into "big business" - companies, oil and gas and the like.....he doesn't give a hoot about education or health care. Unfortunately in Alberta, there are more large company/business men/women that vote for him because he gives them money and incentives than there are teachers and people who need health care. The teachers here went on strike 2 years ago, and we are STILL working without a contract. The gov't won't give us the money to provide the type of education Albertans want. The gov't and the media make it seem like its us bad teachers that just want more money, cuz we're sooo greedy! Whatever!!! Our biggest beef is class sizes.....when the media report that there are 18 kids in each class - that is BS!! What they do is count the amount of kids in the school and divide it by the number of certified teachers (admin, counsellors, special ed teachers, etc included) and thats how they get their magical numbers. Now if Klein had come into the schools (or stayed in school long enough to know) he would see that admin don't teach full class loads, special ed teachers have max. 8 kids in their rooms and counsellors don't have a class at all. So all those kids that they are supposed to teach, are really in OUR classrooms which are bursting at the seams at 30-35 kids!!

This is the premier who walked (drunk) into a homeless shelter and shouted to all the people "to go and get jobs"...real professional eh?? Sheesh!!! And he has admitted to being a drunk, but is "seeking help" so its all ok with the higher ups.....wtf????? Give me a break!!! And the same premier who only went to Grade 9!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm.......and he is running our province?? But then again, its the stupid people who vote for him I guess!!! :mad:

Oh my, this turned into a rant...sorry!!!! (can you tell this is near and dear to my heart??) LOL

Karin
June 6th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Is this not considered politic's?

Just wondering....

chico2
June 6th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Yes,Karin but this an "off topic Forum":p That means any topic goes :p
Sorry,some things just get me riled up :D

Karin
June 6th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Yes,Karin but this an "off topic" thread :p That means any topic goes :p
Sorry,some things just get me riled up :D

Funny, I was warned about the same thing in this "Off Topic" forum...under Gas Prices...

Must be because I am from the US is the only way I can figure the double standard ...no one shot down the other poster for citing "politic's."

I understand more now.

deerclan
June 7th, 2004, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=chico2]
I know,most people say,those wellfare bums should get a job!
But it is not always that simple.....and if they cannot find a place to live,they loose their housing allowance and recieve only $195/per month.

They only recieve $195/per month holy ***** ,thats not much at all and not fair.
We even have people in canada that live in third word conditions no food,running water,washroom and sleep several to a bed the roof leaks live in shacks and have to depend on others in the community to help them because they are to sick to help themselves and they are luckey to make a few hundred dollars a year,But they are in such remote areas the little money they have doesn;t buy them squat because it's to expensive.

DeerClan

chico2
June 7th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Karin,I'll discuss gas-prices with you any day :D
No double standards here,you can discuss whatever you want,whatever is on your mind....in an Off Topic Forum :p

Chany
June 7th, 2004, 07:00 PM
No Karin no double standard here!! Just warned ya cause I figured it would eventually get heated and someone would come on and point out how no one else cares why your arguing or to lock the thread. So I thought I would save you some grief. ;) But as for a "good" arguement I'll join in with ya if you want to!!! :D
As for welfare again there is another huge difference for living in the city and living somewhere else because some people on welfare around here had a cellular phone before I could afford one,a vehicle- plated and gas expenses paid for. Free prescriptions, dental and eyeglasses if needed. Hell they have an allowance for pet food!!! When we were getting my oldest sons braces on there was a kid there getting some as well courtesy of the government. :(
Today I went shopping to the city and spent around $70.00 just on taxes!! ON TAXES!!! Some things were defintely on a want list but most of it was needed. Like work boots and shoes for my husband and myself so we can work!! Now though I said today enough is enough! The government seems to think they could survive without the working class to support them, we'll see.
I think next year I am going to keep every receipt I get and add up how much extra taxes we pay in a year!
When I started working 14 years ago it was to supplement my husbands income. What they used to take off in personal tax off his check I had to work to get it back. I could have stayed at home and lived comfortably raising my kids if we didn't have to support everyone else who didn't feel like working.
Chico as for your friend is there mental problems, because sometimes thats what happens with some homeless people. Don't take offense to that I was just wondering because living in a van with 8 cats some how seems a bit strange :confused:

Karin
June 7th, 2004, 09:02 PM
No Karin no double standard here!! Just warned ya cause I figured it would eventually get heated and someone would come on and point out how no one else cares why your arguing or to lock the thread. So I thought I would save you some grief. ;) But as for a "good" arguement I'll join in with ya if you want to!!! :D
As for welfare again there is another huge difference for living in the city and living somewhere else because some people on welfare around here had a cellular phone before I could afford one,a vehicle- plated and gas expenses paid for. Free prescriptions, dental and eyeglasses if needed. Hell they have an allowance for pet food!!! When we were getting my oldest sons braces on there was a kid there getting some as well courtesy of the government. :(
Today I went shopping to the city and spent around $70.00 just on taxes!! ON TAXES!!! Some things were defintely on a want list but most of it was needed. Like work boots and shoes for my husband and myself so we can work!! Now though I said today enough is enough! The government seems to think they could survive without the working class to support them, we'll see.
I think next year I am going to keep every receipt I get and add up how much extra taxes we pay in a year!
When I started working 14 years ago it was to supplement my husbands income. What they used to take off in personal tax off his check I had to work to get it back. I could have stayed at home and lived comfortably raising my kids if we didn't have to support everyone else who didn't feel like working.
Chico as for your friend is there mental problems, because sometimes thats what happens with some homeless people. Don't take offense to that I was just wondering because living in a van with 8 cats some how seems a bit strange :confused:

Thanks Chany. I will refrain from debating this topic since I do not understand the tax system of Canada.

I will say this much though. Florida has no state income tax, so we have 1200 people a day (+) moving to our state. Retiree's for the most part. What I grew up with, a small penisula type of Island has become a concrete jungle. As a child I played on the beach's and now you cannot see them because of the condo high rise's..and they own the beach too?!? Go figger? *redneck side of me..lmao!*
Any hoot..'nuff said....I love my state and I have a bone to pick with them also..that is why we have elections and such. Cost of living seems so much better here too and we are a "tourist state"..

chico2
June 7th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Karin,we have been going to Myrtle Beach South Carolina in the fall, every year for the past 15 and we love it,if it had been at all possible we would buy a little house there for retirement.
We find the sotherners to be wonderful people,we drive down through New York,Pennsylvania,West Virginia,Virginia a beautiful drive through the montains.
Most Americans we talk to,wish they had universal healthcare and I can certainly understand that,as healthinsurance when you come up there in age,is very expensive.
I have been to many countries and there is not one country where everything is perfect,we actually left Sweden because of too high taxes,how is that for irony :D But we were young and adventuress but are now very proud to call ourselves Canadians :D OOPs! getting sappy!!

chico2
June 7th, 2004, 10:48 PM
As you might notice I deleted two posts,I wrote another lenghty post,but could see no sense in arguing...we all luckily do not feel the way Chany does,compassion for peple less fortunate shows we are civilized people,who knows,we might all one day need some compassion.

glasslass
June 7th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Affordable health care is a problem here in the U.S. I'm fortunate in that I have good insurance through both my employment and my husband's employment. You only have good insurance usually through your employer if you work for a large company that is unionized or a school district or government. Small employers or the self-employed often don't provide it. When you retire, after 65 you're eligible for medicare and your coverage under your former employer ends. But the premiums for medicare or for one of the HMO policies are expensive when you live on a fixed income. Prescriptions are not covered. Many seniors have started getting their prescriptions filled in Canada because they are much cheaper there. :mad: