Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy with Major Separation Anxiety:(

Jasper's Mommy
December 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
We brought our 8-week old wheaten terrier home this past weekend and have been following our breeders advice in crate training him. I took this week off from work to be home with him to help him adjust and I'm at the end of my leash! He will scream for hours whenever put in his crate. I leave for an hour or two every afternoon to get him used to the idea of being alone and when I return I can hear him screaming from the front door - not a cry, but wild monkey-like screams! Firmly saying "no" and tapping the crate has no effect. I feel like I'm being cruel letting him cry in his crate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:confused:

Frenchy
December 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
It always help if you exercise him before putting him in the crate , if he's tired , he'll sleep. Also , do you leave toys (safe ones) so he can play with it in his crate ? Or a stuffed Kong. Patience , you can do this !

badger
December 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
He is so young! some would say too young to be away from his mother and his pack. If you can bear to leave him (I couldn't :lovestruck:), I think you have to start by going into the next room for, say, five minutes and when he is OK with that, working from there in slow increments.

We'd LOVE a picture.

Ford Girl
December 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hi, I second Frenchy's advise. :thumbs up

A few things to help...toys, kongs, exercise. Lots and lots of exercise, and a dog that small it's easy to tire them out. Make it a routine, leash walk for 30 mins at a good pace for him, then in to his kennel, then leave. Is the kennel comfy? Is it the proper size? Do you make a scene when you come and go? Like hyper greetings, or sad good byes? Or do you put him in and go? You need to make sure you dont feel sorry for him, don't make it in issue for you to leave, if you already feel axious or nervous or you are anticipating puttign him in there, he will feel that from you. Did you toss some treats in the kennel and leave the door open on the first day? Does he sleep in it at night or does the kennel represent you leaving? Do you leave a radio on? Just some things that popped in my head.

If you research this you will find all kinds of info on it and things to try, rescues have good info on it, and so will a dog trainer behavioralist, if you feel you need professional help. All I can say is don't give in and let him have free roam of the house, that will just increase the anxiety and he will start to take it out on your belongings.

Keep up posted!

white wrabbit
December 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
try leaving a radio on or the tv (sounds of people) and put and alarm clock the ticking kind in it, as well under the blankets in the kennel or just behind it in the back to mimic mommy heart beat. how is she in it at night? is it the same thing? what about a stuffed Kennel mate?

shredy
December 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I had an easier time of crate training than it sounds like you are having, but this is the method I used. The crate is in our living room (ugly but necessary) with a soft bed inside. I regularly put treats and toys inside the crate and let her explore for sveral days until she was used to it. Then I started leaving her in for VERY SHORT peroids of time (5 minutes, then 15, then 30, then 1 hour) She will bark for a couple minutes and then settle down and sleep.We always leave the television on and she has a couple toys that are safe for her (no small parts or stuffing) and treats in the crate when we leave. Don't make a big deal out of putting the dog in the crate or when you get home. Ignore the barking and if possible try to let the dog out only when he is NOT barking. At this young age you don't want to leave him in the crate for more than an hour or two after you have gotten him used to it.

Where are you keeping the crate? Because they are pack animals it is very important for the crate to be in the living space so they don't feel isolated. They are not likely to get used to it if it is out of common areas where you spend your time. Hope this helps :fingerscr

TeriM
December 6th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Good advice from the others except that I would like to say to be careful about the amount of exercise at only 8 weeks. That age should really be mostly playing for exercise and maybe short walks down the block and back.

Good luck.

Prismom
December 6th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I second the clock advice. It works great. I don't recommend putting it inside the crate though, because it might have small parts he could swallow. Some puppies and kittens actually enjoy watching repetitive movement, too. You could put it in front so he can watch the hands. I don't think you actually have to hide it. I didn't. The noise soothes them, but they probably don't really know why. It's instinct. If you can't find an old fashioned clock, some digital clocks tick. That's because, believe it or not some people find ticking comforting too. You could also try getting one of those ambient noise machines that plays heartbeats and rain and wave sounds.
Here's a link to one, but you can get these all over the place. Make sure whatever you buy has the heartbeat if you buy one. Some puppies, like some people, may prefer other sounds, but heartbeat is what vets often recommend.
http://www.naturestapestry.com/soundmachine.html
What's nice about units like this that have multiple sounds is if it starts to drive you crazy, there is probably some other sound in there that will work just as well, and when your puppy gets older, you can use it for yourself. Also look for alarm clock models with soothing sound feature. That way you can keep it as a clock.

Little Leah
June 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hi I have the same problem. I try putting in my dog at night last night, and a few nights before. I even left her at my parents place. My dad didn't listen to any reason whatsoever so I decided to take her back here in my apartment. She seems to be very happy, but she does not want to admit defeat it seems. She is a pug mix. She seems to actually enjoy the crate but she doesn't enjoy being away from me. I left her in there while I was away in the living room, still after half an hour she is whining her eyes out and it sounded also like a monkey screeching. Everything else she is sooooooooooooooooooooooo well behaved in, but this one thing it worries me a bit. My friend beforehand had stuffed her in her jacket EVERYWHERE she went, and then me not knowing took her off her hands and now I got a pup who can't stop whining because she wants to be around me. This will grow to be a huge issue as I am going back into college in the winter or fall depending on the program I am entering. I don't want ot have to worry if she is terrorizing the place or scratching on doors and causing a huge ruckus. Sorry for the long letter just thought I should explain my situation in a bit more detail.