Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neighbor's dog

H.P.
December 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I have a little problem. My neighbor has a dog that is an escape artist. Smokey has started to come to my house when he escapes, which in itself is not a problem. He and Sydney get along great. I let them play, feed him (I don't think he gets enough to eat at home), and take him home. Last night, as I was getting ready for bed, he showed up. As I left the porch after handing him over to his dad, I heard him yelping. I am sure his dad hit him:mad::mad::mad:. I went on home, but it bothered me.

About 4:00 am, Syd alerted me that Smokey was back. I let him in and still have him. I think that I will keep him today, leaving a message on my neighbor's door that I have him, and why I am hesitant to bring him back.

Also, he is not neutered, so when he escapes, he is likely making puppies, if he gets a chance.He is a cute little dog, about the size of the cocker spaniel, but looks labby. Black with white on his chest and nose. Any advise?

SARAH
December 5th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Tough one!

You could call the local SPCA and report suspected animal cruelty if you're fairly sure he's being hit, but it probably wouldn't amount to much and you'd have a neighbor less than happy with you.

Or you could try telling the neighbor (diplomatically) that hitting a run-away when he gets home is punishing him for coming home, not for running away! If said neighbor is just ignorant and not really mean, you could possible educate him on how to train his little dog and on how much food to give him.

Last idea ... next time the dog runs to you, just keep him! Can't be dog-napping since he came to you and not you going to take him, right? Still, I guess it would be more illegal for you to keep and care for him, than the neighbor getting him back and beating him :mad:

(under last idea, rehome him discretely :) no dog in your house, no proof you did it:evil::angel:)

Melinda
December 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I would also mention to the neighbour that an altered male dog is less likely to roam.

CearaQC
December 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM
As I left the porch after handing him over to his dad, I heard him yelping. I am sure his dad hit him:mad::mad::mad:.

Hate hearing stories like that! Some people never learn. They think a dog rationalizes like humans for some reason. No wonder his dog keeps going back to your house! And to not have him neutered. :wall:

Ask the neighbor how he'd like to feel having extreme sexual urges with no way to satisfy them, and that maybe he'd do everything possible to "get some" and even resort to escaping and prowling. :evil:

I think it's too soon to secretly re-home that dog. First see if neighbor comes over to ask if the dog is at your house. See how long that takes. Let the dog go back home only if he asks. In about a week, keep the dog and when neighbor comes over to ask if you have him, say, "I haven't seen him in x amount of days, don't know where he could be."

SARAH
December 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I think it's too soon to secretly re-home that dog. First see if neighbor comes over to ask if the dog is at your house. See how long that takes. Let the dog go back home only if he asks. In about a week, keep the dog and when neighbor comes over to ask if you have him, say, "I haven't seen him in x amount of days, don't know where he could be."

You are sneakier than me :thumbs up like the innocent "who me?" type answer there :laughing:

H.P.
December 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM
The owner is a young guy, not much money, I think he is doing the best he can when it comes to the food (I take him dog food sometimes-tell him I coupon for a free bag and Syd can't eat it because of allergies). Owner is too skinny also. I know he loves his dog, he just doesn't know any better than how he is treating him.

I left a note on his door that I had his dog, that I was concerned about what I had heard, and reasons why he should get Smokie neutered. I am going to go talk to him tonight, and take the numbers for the low cost spay/nueter clinics. Wish me luck.:fingerscr

I don't want to contact SPCA, they are too quick to take pets and put them down around here.

14+kitties
December 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Good luck, and thank you for caring so much. :angel:

badger
December 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Good for you. I hope your neighbour takes your advice to heart.

Janie123
December 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Maybe he would give you the dog? :) My neighbor got a puppy for his 4 kids. Everytime it peed in the house,he would take it out back and beat it. I finally beat on his door one day and told him I was not listening to it anymore. I gave him a bunch of stuff about training and angrily left. I told him if I even heard that dog yelp in the house,I was reporting him.
Well,Pluto is now a happy, healthy 3 and I haven't heard any yelps at all. :) Scaring them sometimes helps.

H.P.
December 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I talked to neighbor boy, he said he did not hit Smokie, but stepped on his foot (which is a good possibility-he likes to stay underfoot). He was very receptive to the idea of getting him neutered, asked questions about the procedure/recovery and cost. He is concerned about the cost, so I think for Christmas, I will get him a gift certificate to the vet. I feel better about the situation now. And he knows that I am watching :evil:

SARAH
December 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
:highfive: yayyy! :grouphug:

Frenchy
December 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for helping this dog. I hope the owner lightens up , if not , and you still suspect abuse , his dog could run away ... to a better family ;)

14+kitties
December 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
That is very kind of you re the Christmas gift. I think I would still keep an eagle eye on the situation. :fingerscr