Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat resistant? Wall mounted Christmas Tree

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Here's our attempt to be festive - with 3 dogs and 7 indoor cats (4 of them 7 1/2 mths old - aka. the Quads.

Roomie loves to have a tree - so with the Quads new this year, we knew a regular tree just would not work.

Here's a series of pictures of our wall-mounted Christmas tree. We did this in phases, a few branches at a time. So far, none of them have bothered it. They do like to look up at it and wonder what kind of damage they might do. Time will tell if it stays this pretty.

Would love to hear others' good experiences with decorating for Christmas.

Diane

Several posts to come - with more pics (11 pics total to post)
pic 1,2 how the tree post was mounted (not shown is the hangers to hold it over the door)
pic 3 - another view of the post mounted on the board

jiorji
December 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
i've never had a tree with the cats and i'm visiting parents now and they have 2 trees...and cats left them alone:shrug:

i guess it depends on the cats?

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM
pic 4 - initial staging of the top of the tree
pic 5 - Roomie adding more branches - Harley or Huxley watching
pic 6 - ditto, Cody walking by

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
pic 7 - almost finished - no decorations
pic 8,9 - decorated with lights

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
and last, pic 10-11 - finished

vfrohloff
December 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM
:laugh: OMG, I hope you're not insulted but you've just given me a fantastic laughing fit! I can totally relate; we have 5 cats, all of whom think that the tree has a bird at the top of it or something. We still get a regular tree but we wire it to the ceiling so that when they climb it it won't fall over. We also wire our decorations on so they can't be pulled off. I put the plastic dangly ones at the bottom so the cats can play with them but they like to climb the tree to get the nicer ones. :laughing: Thanks for the pics! :laughing::cat:

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
:laugh: OMG, I hope you're not insulted but you've just given me a fantastic laughing fit! I can totally relate; we have 5 cats, all of whom think that the tree has a bird at the top of it or something. We still get a regular tree but we wire it to the ceiling so that when they climb it it won't fall over. We also wire our decorations on so they can't be pulled off. I put the plastic dangly ones at the bottom so the cats can play with them but they like to climb the tree to get the nicer ones. :laughing: Thanks for the pics! :laughing::cat:

Should I be insulted? I think it is a pretty good idea :) I may not say that in a week or two :( LOL

Diane

jiorji
December 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I love how 2 cats are there waiting and inspecting for "dad" to finish so they can jump on it:evil::laughing::laughing:

Jim Hall
December 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
taht is so cool esp the pic with kitty inspecting it

have any of the furballs manged to jump that high yet ?

i once had a cat hat would climb up and lay on the branches and never distubed a thing it was weird

but we left a few big bare branches and she would love it

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks Jim Hall, I wish I had shots of Stanley and Katie checking it out...they are two of the ones I am more concerned about.

No, none have jumped that high yet...they do their cute little purring sounds, like cooing...and then walk away....so far...
Diane

Frenchy
December 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM
So far, none of them have bothered it.

ohhhh, that's because the conspiracy is in motion ..... :evil:

:laughing:

dmc123
December 4th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Frenchy!!!!! send good vibes lol not negative ones....mine might conspire! I am hoping not. The branches have been up over a week now.....

Should I not be hopeful?

Diane :)

Frenchy
December 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't like positive people :evil: :rolleyes:

Hey , in a week you could be laughing at me , I'm putting my tree up next week end .... first x-mas tree for Nelly and Paddington , Nelly , she will be ok (mostly because she is crated when I'm not home) but Paddington :eek: :eek: :eek: :yell:

He gets into EVERYTHING !!! :cat: Monsieur le chat didn't bother it too much last year , he's my little angel !!

krdahmer
December 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
THAT is BRILLIANT!!! :thumbs up:lightbulb: Nice idea... if my white wire tree fails I may put that on my list of things to try... I mean I can't NOT decorate, It's Christmas!

rainbow
December 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I hope it works for you. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: I know it wouldn't last long in my house though. :o

vfrohloff
December 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I just didn't want you to think I was laughing at you, rather I was laughing with you. It is a fabulous idea. I think you should build them and sell them at pet stores. :D

14+kitties
December 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
What a fabulous idea!! I remember my Pepe:rip: years ago knocking over the tree and how shocked he looked. After that he just laid under it and played with the bottom ornaments. Keesha, toy poodle, has never bothered with trees. I think it's beneath her. :laughing::laughing:
I am so glad my brood isn't in at this time of year though. Mayhem!!!!!!!!!!

dmc123
December 5th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks all....so far still working well....still keeping fingers crossed :)

Diane

Kristin7
December 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM
That's great! I love the pics w/ the kitty watching the tree decorating! Plotting, no doubt. I dont' set up a tree anymore because one of mine climbs it and knocks down all the ornaments. She also set off my house motion sensor alarm once, while she was in the tree, presumably, causing the police to come out... Maybe someday I'll try again, there are some good suggestions in this thread.

ancientgirl
December 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
:laughing:My favorite was the kitty inspector general just contemplating how the heck he's going to get into that.

That's actually a very good idea. I commend you for your efforts. I hope it works! It does look quite sturdy though.

TeriM
December 6th, 2007, 12:20 AM
:laughing: That is hilarious but also a great idea :thumbs up.

dmc123
December 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
update - one week later the wall tree still looks the same :) no issues here

Diane

Frenchy
December 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hey , in a week you could be laughing at me , I'm putting my tree up next week end ....

As promised : update : tree is still up , found some ornaments on the floor , the 2-3 first mornings :frustrated: light wires are covered with tobasco sauce :thumbs up because Paddy has found a taste for wires (I now have a wireless mouse ....don't ask !) Water spray bottle beside me on all times. :wall:

rjesak
December 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Tobasco sauce!!! That's brilliant!! :lightbulb:I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to keep Oscar from eating the wires around my computer. I've tried putting as many as I can UNDER things and, of course, I holler at him when I catch him at it, but I'm not always there to see.

I'll try the tobasco - that's a fantastic idea!

I love the wall mounted tree - dmc, when are you gonna have that on the market for us less DIY-able??? :-):laughing:

SARAH
December 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
GREAT idea :laughing: love it!

I know my parents have had cats that have climbed the three, I've had only one of those :D The last one my parents had (of the climbers) made the tree fall over, they put it back up, figuring he'd understood and would leave it alone ? Nope, re-belotte! Down it went again (each time breaking an ornament of course).

Up again, and this time ... wired to the curtain-rod!! That worked. But guess what? No more climbing, on the third attempt it didn't fall, no fun :sad: poor kitty.

:laughing: :laughing:

Haven't put mine up yet, no idea what Spoutnik will do to it! But I do have plastic thingies to hang on the lower branches. Next fall I'll go "hunt" for cones (any pine-cone), paint them in lead-free colours, put a string at the end of them, and hang tant at the bottom! Natural-looking ornaments, and cannot hurt the animals, nor break.

We did that one year when I ws a kid, and my parents sitll have them!! (I was 6 or 7, so that's 40+ year old ornaments).

marko
December 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Excellent setup! :highfive:

way to go!

Frenchy
December 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Update on tree : critical condition , hope he'll make it till after new year , but after that = :rip:

I'm suspecting Paddington of getting into to tree because the branches are now pretty low to the ground :frustrated:

Frenchy
December 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Tobasco sauce!!! That's brilliant!!

Don't forget to re apply after a couple days :p