Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Big Dog Little Boots?

Ford Girl
December 4th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Seriously, how many large dog owners put booties on their dog so that they can play outside longer? I am contemplating this but I've only ever see little dogs with booties and jackets. Dazy's warm outside for a long time, except her feet, we cut all outdoor play short when she starts to lift her legs, other then that she loves the snow and cold weather. I want to be able to stay out longer then 10 minutes. :shrug: It's freezing and dark early here - yet her energy is still high, imagine that? :laughing: Other then day care I am finding it hard to burn the energy.

Winston
December 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Fordgirl! check out the Muttluks...apparently they are the best out there! I am going to buy some for my boy this year..He ends up with chapped and cracked paws during the winter so I thought these would be great! Alot of people swear by them!

Cindy

http://www.muttluks.com/

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I don't use booties.. I just lengthen the time outside everyday so that Bree's paws get use to it....

as far a her energy the snow plow dups the snow in our backyard so there is a mountain there, I make her climb and run up it so it does tire her out lol lol lol..

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Winston is there not a cream for the dogs feet also?? do you know the name of it??

pitgrrl
December 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
:laughing: I think you need to check out my post in the gallery:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46910

Honestly though, I put boots on the dogs primarily because of all the road salt. When it's just cold, they're fine if we keep moving, unless it's like -20C or below, but the salt burns their feet.

I've tried Invisible Boot, Bag Balm, Muttluks paw balm stuff and a few others. The Invisible Boot and the Muttluks stuff worked the best, but none last more than a few blocks before the dogs are standing on 1 leg screaming :shrug:

So all that to say, my dogs wear boots (and coats) when the roads are salted, people point, laugh, comment, laugh some more and generally think we're ridiculous, but at least my dogs get decent walks pretty much year round.

Ford Girl
December 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Winston, thanks, I did just look at the link, and others like it, man - some places want a small fortune for good booties eh? :eek: I want new boots if I am going to spend that much!!! hahah! Geez! I think she needs something tho, it's too cold.

I did see some pad cream too, but the pads still must get cold?? No? When we are playing she starts to lift, then stops and lays down, paws up showing me her frozen paw, she looks very uncomfortable. It's like -25 with the wind chill, so I am not only am I concerned with her feet being cold, but damaging the pads cuz it's so cold.

Ford Girl
December 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
:laughing: I think you need to check out my post in the gallery:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46910

Honestly though, I put boots on the dogs primarily because of all the road salt. When it's just cold, they're fine if we keep moving, unless it's like -20C or below, but the salt burns their feet.

I've tried Invisible Boot, Bag Balm, Muttluks paw balm stuff and a few others. The Invisible Boot and the Muttluks stuff worked the best, but none last more than a few blocks before the dogs are standing on 1 leg screaming :shrug:

So all that to say, my dogs wear boots (and coats) when the roads are salted, people point, laugh, comment, laugh some more and generally think we're ridiculous, but at least my dogs get decent walks pretty much year round.

Excellent, thanks pitgrrl! I am one of those people who point and laugh and generally think it's rediculous for large dogs, BUT that being said, this is my first winter with a high energy dog who needs to go for long walks and burn energy, her coat is sufficient but she still needs something for her feet. So I am slowly changing my thinking. I might have to bite the bullet on this one.

I am lucky here tho, they don't salt the roads in Alberta, or at least in Calgary, heck they don't even plow the secondary roads or streets. :laughing: No salt to worry about, just cold and wind.

Winston
December 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have heard the Muttluks are the best brand to buy as far as quality goes!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
December 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Has anyone seen any wraps or spatz for the dogs' legs? Something not easily removed by the dog in question? :o The problem I'm having here is that the Pack is breaking through the crusty snow and scraping up higher on their legs! Poor Macie scraped her right hind bad enough to bleed! :eek:

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
hazel what about the athlectic tape the one that sticks to it's self?? comes in all colors?? would that help?? the vets put it on dogs and cats when they have owies

white wrabbit
December 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
i bought boots and a coat for maggie since (when out of heat) she goes to the bus stop with the kids and i every morning and we do have to stand out side and well this week with wind chill it has been -28 some mornings.. i just ordered from pet smart how ever the coat dosent fit her as good as it should but it still fits for now.. i just wanted some protection for her (coat is cuz of Doberman in her and short thin coat she has) i havent been inside a petsmart yet to see what they carry in her size yet. but i have been putting her boots on today and she is not hopping around when i take her to the bath room she will actually do it all at once instead of wanting back inside and having to go out again...

Lissa
December 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM
:laughing: Don't be embarassed about the booties! Big dogs need protection too:crazy:...

Dodger wear's booties because his pads will start to bleed... while its the salt that does the damage, its deep snow that triggers the bleeding...:sad:

We've pretty much tried everything - Muttluks (winter and all season); Neopaws (summer and winter neoprene); Ruffwear; and fleece boots that are used for sled dogs.

I personally do not like Muttluks - they are useless in deep snow because the cuff's fill with snow (not only is that uncomfortable but it causes them to fly-off). They are definately easy to put on but the quality is poor IMO. Dodger's first pair barely lasted the season.
Neopaws were my favorite and still are to a certain extent - they can be complicated to put on but once you get it right, they are the most water-proof (and I have NEVER had one come off). Also, they have lasted at least 6 years (they were bought for our last dog).
I am really liking Ruffwear right now... Again they don't fall off and they are less intrusive for Dodger and much quicker to put on. They have excellent grips as well.
I use fleece booties (made for sled dogs) quite a bit as well (I often put them under Muttluks or ruffwear booties)... They don't do well for city walks (paws get wet) but they are great in the fields... And if you lose one, its a couple of dollars as oppose to $50+ for a new set (which is also why I like ruffwear because they sell booties individually).

ancientgirl
December 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Ford Girl, maybe you can just make your own. Or you can try with baby boots and just use the bottom part and sew it on to some sturdy fabric and make a shoe out of it.:shrug:

pitgrrl
December 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Has anyone seen any wraps or spatz for the dogs' legs? Something not easily removed by the dog in question? :o The problem I'm having here is that the Pack is breaking through the crusty snow and scraping up higher on their legs! Poor Macie scraped her right hind bad enough to bleed! :eek:

I believe Neopaws has leg wraps made of neoprene.

Ford Girl
December 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Unfortunitly sewing isn't one of my many talents, unless grocery bags with rubber bands count? :shrug: :laughing:

I am going to check out allthe suggestions, I would hate to lose one boooties at $60 for 4, for me, they should be cheaper price wise - thats crazy!!! IMO And easy to put on is always good.

My search continues....I think I will buy locally instead of online, so they can be tried on in the store or returned if needed. Once she gets her back pack form Santa, I am hoping to do some winter quading, it would be nice for her to be able to follow us.

hazelrunpack
December 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
hazel what about the athlectic tape the one that sticks to it's self?? comes in all colors?? would that help?? the vets put it on dogs and cats when they have owies

We've got some, but the dogs consider it a challenge and therefore it doesn't last long :D...it isn't reusable, either...at least not easily...and with 32 legs to wrap, it would be pretty cost prohibitive because of it. I did think of that, though--it just failed the Setter Efficacy Test! :laughing:

I believe Neopaws has leg wraps made of neoprene.

Thanks, pitgrrl! I'll have to check out their site! :thumbs up

Unfortunitly sewing isn't one of my many talents, unless grocery bags with rubber bands count? :shrug: :laughing:

I hear ya! :laughing: I'm so dangerous with a needle that my fingers bleed in anticipation before I so much as pick one up! So I can empathize! :grouphug:

:D

H.P.
December 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I have been thinking of getting Syd some "sled dog booties" Very reasonably priced it seems:

http://www.scdogsled.com/index_files/productsp1.html

growler~GateKeeper
December 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
As you probably saw Cally in Pitgrrl's pic thread, had a green jacket & red boots for winter wear & he was sooooooo happy to wear them in the snow (even in the usual 1-2 cm in Vancouver) especially after he learned he could walk in the snow & his feet wouldn't be cold. Being mostly Dalmation he had very very little fur between his pads & his coat was much shorter than a Lab so I know he appreiciated the help ;):D

You mean Vet wrap ;)

We've got some, but the dogs consider it a challenge and therefore it doesn't last long :D...it isn't reusable, either...at least not easily...and with 32 legs to wrap, it would be pretty cost prohibitive because of it. I did think of that, though--it just failed the Setter Efficacy Test! :laughing:

You'd think they'd come up w/ something reusable :rolleyes:

huronflyer
December 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hi,
My dog "Cooper" and I have been searching the web for better boots.
Its to protect his feet from road salt and save us from using the hairdryer for over ten minutes to remove balls of ice from his woolly fur.
He had a set that worked for a couple of years when conditions warrant, I would watch them like a hawk to make sure they did not come off, especially if he wandered into deeper snow.
The new ones we got did not go the distance of a football field if that and they came off, just walking on the street.
I am leery about ads on the web saying, "Ours are the best and they won't come off." Right. I want real time experience...
I have come to putting pairs of my wife's socks on his legs (with toes cut out) :thumbs up Needless to say I do not use boots or socks when he rough-houses with friends dog; nor do I use them on the deep snow trail or xctry skiing - why throw money away. For those occasions I use bag balm.
Maybe I need an indoor dog-wash aka car-wash, with a blow dryer cycle, no wax please.
Really the humur is just a release for my frustration.

Dave
Elliot Lake, north of Huron

Cooper: 3.5 yr old, 75 lb Standard Poodle, Beige (apricot)
Deal with wife, "No sissy cuts!!!" He has a mulloch and sometime resembles a little bear cub. He is actually cut shorter this winter than summer or fall, due to ice and snow.

huronflyer
December 30th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Today Cooper had a great time with his bud...he is sleeping.

The the "ice-ball" came home I put him in the sauna room with the overhead heat light for 10 - 15 minutes. Then we only needed to use a hair dryer on his feet. It speeded up the hands on process by 75%.

What he needs is a scuba suit. :dog:

drh

huronflyer
December 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Picture shows up in profile.
Hum have I got it right yet.
Made it small.
It must be my age:shrug:
drh

StumpsMom
December 30th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I love those Muttluks....I think Stump will look handsome in them ;)

Ford Girl
December 31st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Hi! I bought the Large Muttlucs, they are a bit too big so i need to go find medium. Boy it was fun to watch her run after her ball with them on, she looked like a duck trying to take off, all 4 legs kicking and moving at once, hilarious!!! We cracked up big time!! :laughing:

Winston
December 31st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Fordgirl were you able to return them? I have been contemplating buying them for Winston but I think he needs the xl according to their chart? I didnt want to be out 60.00 if I couldnt return them?

Cindy

leko
January 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hello,
I know this is a year old thread but I thought I would ask for some help. My dog Daisy and I are looking for some booties. She has a unigue need because of her size. She is a 45 lb setter, spaniel cross. Her feet are huge, but her legs are skinny. All of the booties I have found thus far have either been too cheaply made or fall right off (for many both is the case). I found these.http://media.rei.com/media/208215.jpg As well as these http://media.rei.com/media/940658.jpg
Both at REI, but I have purchased so many yet have not got around to return them that I am a bit overwhelmed. Anyway, her feet are about 2 1/2 inches wide and her leg is about an inch wide. Her back feet are not as wide (about 2 1/4").

Here is a picture to show you what we are up against.
http://u1.ipernity.com/u/3/92/E8/1108114.ab3b19561.l.jpg

One last thing,
She has trouble with booties that ride over her ankle.
We tried the Muttluks but the did not work, they fell off, and it was hard for her to get her feet in. Her feet are very sensitive, and full of long fir (so going without booties in the winter is not an option.

Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely,
Jacob

Lissa
January 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
I have the same issue - Dodger is 60lbs but wears boots that are suppose to be for Beagle-sized dogs:laughing:... I make sure to try the booties on Dodger before I buy them now!

You may want to look into custom made boots (so you get an exact fit) or boots intended for sled dogs (cost effective, don't come as high up on the dogs leg and you can order different sizes - bigger for the front paws and smaller for the back paws).

I do love ruff wear booties but Dodger needs more leg protection in the winter (he's smooth-coated so deep snow/ice cuts his legs)

You can use vet wrap to stop the boots from slipping off (acts as an extra strap).

huronflyer
January 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Leko,

Good ideas by last post.

I found one company online that sells boots in pairs, so you can measure for front and back.
Looks like it would be good if they would make longer legs with two or three velcro wraps.
I recommend elastic braces over shoulders just to save losing a boot if it comes off.

Dave

PS To last post, What is vet wrap?

leko
January 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Dave and Lisa,
Thank you for the replies. I will look into the vetwrap, is that kind of like cling? I do not know how she would feel about elastic braces, but they make a lot of sense, and many times she is wearing a pack anyway (when we are hiking and walking around the neighborhood to keep her focused on her "job") so it would at least hide the braces if not keep them stable or even be something to attatch them to. The support for the ruffwear boots helps because they are really expensive, and though I know it is important, it is hard to justify spending that much when they may not work either. The length is not really an issue since she has a bountiful coat to keep her warm.

As far as the sled dog booties go, do any of you know where to find them? I looked before posting the other day, but did not find much.

Thank you again.

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hi! I haven't treid to return them yet, but I got them locally at PetSmart, I don't usually shop there but I did the research online, then chose to buy locally incase I needed to return them.

Winston, I would suggest getting smaller then you think. Dazy's a big girl, with huge paws, and they flew off before we even left the house. Not sure if I will down size or try a different style. I paid $58 for them, they are too expensive to lose one.

Lissa
January 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Vet wrap basically sticks to itself but not to anything else so its great (I know its a little wasteful to use everytime your dog wears boots though... Should you ever need vet wrap, its often cheaper to buy it from a tack store. The wrap is also wider so much more useful than the one's made for small animals or humans).

I know what you mean about justifying the expense - I've bought to date:
2 sets of muttluks, 2 sets of neopaws, 1 set of ruff wear booties, 1 set of no-name booties, 3 sets of sled dog booties and now have a set of "custom" made one's on the way (didn't recommend them earlier because I think they are taller than you want but Joan is great, so if you want to check them out here's the sight: http://dogedesigns.com/index.htm)...

I bought Dodger's sled dog booties from Komatik: http://www.komout.com/
Prairie dog has them as well http://www.prairiedogsupply.mb.ca/indexca.htm Alpine Outfitters is a good supplier too:
http://alpineoutfitters.net/Secure/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=21

Anyway, good luck with your search! I hope you find the right pair of boots for Daisy!

TMac
January 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hey FordGirl,

Long time no TMac, eh!

Just thought I would wade in too on the boots. As you know, Toby has really furry feet being a golden. His problem in winter is the ice balls that get stuck between his toes and get quite painful for him. So, on really cold days, you can find Toby wearing his muttluks.

We have tested a lot of different boots (including pretty much all the ones mentioned above) for Toby since we have done a lot of major mountain hikes in winter with him in the Adirondacks. I found muttluks to be the best. While its true that snow can get in the cuff easily, we tried the shorter boots too and eventually they all fall off anyways. You really have to use vet wrap or some other super adhesive stuff to keep the top of the boot stuck on good so they don't come off in deep snow and get filled in the cuff. We have used duct tape at one time even. I wouldn't of course recommend duct tape since it doesn't breathe but we were desperate to save Toby's paws after 6 hours of snow hiking (and after the vet wrap fell off for the 5th time), and it did the trick at the time.

Toby has also used his muttluks on summer mountain hikes. We'd put them on him if we encounter bald rock, since the summer sun would make it so hot it could burn his pads. SO you could say Toby has been a real hard core tester of dog boots. Booties are definitely not for sissy dogs! ha ha! :laughing:

Bearsmom
January 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
We tried everything for Bear (muttlucks, etc), he just rips them off and eats them. Now it's just short ventures outside (especially in this freezing weather).

Road salt doesn't seem to bother him, nor does the cold.