Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Protecting paws in winter

falcios
December 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
My dog doesn't like to wear booties. Is there any way to protect her paws while out walking in the snow?
Thanks in advance.

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
there is a cream or maybe it is called a salve for the paws to protect them. Not sure of the name though..
and not sure if it works.. if I am not mistaken it is sold in wlamart and pet stores..

:sorry: I will see if I can find the name for you

satchelp
December 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
There is a great product called 'Musher's Secret'. You can find out more about it at http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product234.html

There are a few others out there, but I find this one very effective.

rainbow
December 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM
There is a great product called 'Musher's Secret'. You can find out more about it at http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product234.html

There are a few others out there, but I find this one very effective.

Do you have to wash it off their paws when they come inside? :o

Longblades
December 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Unless there is a reason, like really little paws that could freeze, a cracked pad or other problem or lots of salt, you may not need to protect her paws. Snow won't hut your dog's feet as long as you are reasonable about the length of time out in it. Trimming the hair will help prevent snowballs and keeping nails short will help prevent slipping on ice. Yes, too long toenails are slippy and not an aid in traction.

satchelp
December 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Do you have to wash it off their paws when they come inside? :o

No you don't have to wash it off. It conditions and softens the paws, keeping them from drying out and cracking. They make products of this type with natural non-toxic ingredients as well.

rainbow
December 6th, 2007, 01:46 AM
No you don't have to wash it off. It conditions and softens the paws, keeping them from drying out and cracking. They make products of this type with natural non-toxic ingredients as well.

Is the one you mentioned There is a great product called 'Musher's Secret' non-toxic also? :o

satchelp
December 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry .. I just re-read what I wrote and I wasn't clear. Musher's Secret is indeed non-toxic (human grade natural waxes).