Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

im so sad...rehoming a pet

angelinazzz
December 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Im gonna give away my female beagle who is 3 years old and it breaks my heart.

I live in an appartement and i have to move in a new one and with 2 dogs its like almost impossible. The new appartement let me keep my little wiener but doesnt want another dog...I know u guys are gonna tell me i can find another place where they will accept both but its not that simple!

I found her a nice and lovely home with people who loves beagle. She is gonna live outside of town in the country near a lake where i think she will be very happy. But it just breaks my heart just to think shes not gonna be near me anymore.

I know ill have my little teckel to enjoy but its not the same...My beagle was my first dog i ever had. SO she is special...

Please does anyone had a pet they lost of dying or just had to get away?
so they can understand my pain....:cry:

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Please does anyone had a pet they lost of dying or just had to get away?
so they can understand my pain....:cry:

I'm real sorry about your situation but comparing someone who their pet just died with someone that had to give their pet away is ... really not the same.

SARAH
December 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
No, it's worse! Giving it away and knowing it's because of you (whether you directly or outside circumstances) you feel like you're letting your pet down. Even knowing it'll have a great life, better than with you ...

I did it twice :cry::sorry::cry: once when I was a kid, so it was really my parents. We were going to live in an apartment and it was 2000 Km away from where we were at the time, and Rex was sooo car sick he puked at the sight of an open car door (I kid you not). They gave him to a turkey farmer and he was happier than he could have been anywhere, being a sheepdog, but still ...

And the other one, was me moving to Norway with quaranteen rules! I couldn't lock Rafal up in a cage for 4 months without seeing us even! I found him a home in the country with goats and chickens and cats, near a beach even. He's really happy, I get e-mails and pics regularly. But do I still miss him 5 years later? OH YES !!! To top it off, he was the best dog I ever had, before and after! (a Hovawart, black and tan)

When a pet dies, it's tragic, but it's final :rip: you have a closure, you can move on. It's as hard right there and then, but it's easier to cope with emotionally somehow.

So angelinazzzz, :grouphug: and console yourself with the knowledge she'll be in a nice place with Beagle-people!

Jim Hall
December 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
I agree in a way it is harder to give up a cherished pet AT least you know she will be in a loving hime though.

LavenderRott
December 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
I had to rehome my beagle mix when I lost my home and moved into an apartment. We spent months trying to deal with her seperation anxiety issues, but in the end, decided she was better off in a home with a yard and someone who was home more.

Yep, it hurt like heck. But she is well loved and very happy where she is.

t.pettet
December 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sorry I disagree, comparing re-homing a dog to putting one to sleep is like comparing lions and tropical fish. You have options to re-home or not but when a pet is accidently killed or pts because of illness there wern't any other options available.

happycats
December 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry I disagree, comparing re-homing a dog to putting one to sleep is like comparing lions and tropical fish. You have options to re-home or not but when a pet is accidently killed or pts because of illness there wern't any other options available.

I completely agree!!

I just lost my cat of 18 years, if I could have giving him away instead of him dying, I would have given him away!!

There is no comparison.

clm
December 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I would be looking for another place to move to. I wouldn't part with any of my dogs or cats because of a move. Places that wouldn't be willing to accept my animals wouldn't even be on my viewing list.
Serioius illness resulting in me being unable to care for them anymore would be the only reason that could make me part with them, and it would probably kill me. Even then hubby would have to be gone too for that to happen, he wouldn't part with any of them either.

Cindy

Ford Girl
December 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Me too, I wouldn't even consider it, no critters, no me. But, best wishes to you and your critters. :goodvibes:

Masha
December 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Same here! I would never even consider moving anywhere where they would not accept my cat or dog. They are my family, my babies, and I would never leave my family behind; my husband feels the same... But thats just how we are and I know many people who do not feel the same.... :shrug:

Love4himies
December 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I had to rehome the only dog I ever had because we were moving to Germany with the military. It is much harder to have one die, than rehome. Dying is final, rehoming is giving them another life.

angelinazzz
December 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
i know people says i would find another place to move in if u cant bring your dogs with you but its not that simple!!!

jesse's mommy
December 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I would be looking for another place to move to. I wouldn't part with any of my dogs or cats because of a move. Places that wouldn't be willing to accept my animals wouldn't even be on my viewing list.
Serioius illness resulting in me being unable to care for them anymore would be the only reason that could make me part with them, and it would probably kill me. Even then hubby would have to be gone too for that to happen, he wouldn't part with any of them either.

Cindy

I'm with you Cindy just like many others. When I was offered a promotion with my company that required me to move to Florida from Maryland I refused to accept it until it was confirmed that there were no BSL laws here and that we found a place that accepted a pitbull. If you think it's hard to find an apartment/house that accepts a dog, try to find one that accepts a pitbull. I would have not accepted the promotion if I couldn't bring Jesse with me. As far as I'm concerned, she is my daughter. There are always other options.

Janie123
December 4th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I agree with Happycats. I just lost my Pepper. I would have rather given him away to a good home,knowing he was happy,healthy and loved. I miss him so much. :(

angelinazzz
December 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM
the family send her to a kennel today because she is agressive with other dogs. It breaks up my heart cuz i though i found her a loving home...SHe is up for adoption now...THe lady put up an add saying she didnt like other dogs and she is not gonna euthenise her. I cant stop crying looking at her little picture in the add makes my heart....
Hopefully she will have a new family soon

jesse's mommy
December 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Wait, you gave the dog away to a home that has other dogs and didn't bother to see if the dogs were compatible? :shrug:

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Please explain

you are moving and the landlord will except the teckle but not the beagle, 3 years old.

the beagle was your first dog then came the teckle how old is the teckle??

you have already given the dog away??

and then found out it does not do well with other dogs, but is ok with the teckle??

when are you moving??

and you are comparing putting a dog to sleep to giving the dog up??

jesse's mommy
December 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Bev, you just asked the flood of questions swimming around in my head.

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Some answers I found that she wrote..........that was on june 15th

she has a 2 1/2 years old female beagle which i got 1 year ago. I know little about her past life except that she was an active puppy and she was pushing the leash a lot.

She also said it was her first dog so what it is to much for anyone to handle??

She just got a new puppy 2 weeks ago a small teckel named Lester

so that would make the pup 6 months old about, and he was suppose to be a mini and found out he is not.

happycats
December 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
hmmmmmm
Looks like you got a new puppy to replace your Beagle?

Why do you feel so sad? This is what you wanted, isn't it:shrug:
Or could it possibly be "guilt" and not sadness at all that you feel? Guilt for replacing the Beagle, or for just dumping her, or guilt for not tying to find her a "good" home?

Oh well, what goes around comes around!!

:dog: I'm sure she's thinking about you, and crying for you as we type:dog:
Poor poor puppy!

angelinazzz
December 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
ok let me put things clear lol

I got a beagle 2 years ago when she was about 1y and a half. Everything was doing okay except she was agressive with other dogs like half the time when i took her on her walk.

About 5 months ago i decided to get a teckel not to replace her! Just because i wanted another dog. She was doing pretty well with him except she was agressive again on her walks with other dogs.

Now Lester is 8 months old (the teckel) and i found a new appartement and they barely accept dogs i had to cry to the tenant to let me keep my dog.
He said ok for the little one.

I decided to give Roxy a new home where she could be happy so i look up in the internet to find her a good home. And believe me that was not a easy task to get her a new family cuz i wanted the best for her.I though i found a good home for her....
THe people were just perfect! SO yesterday i went there to gave her to her new family and there was a puppy there she was a little scary at first growling a little bit when the pup jumped on her too excited but i though that was normal for her.

SO i let her with her new family and promises they would keep me updated from time to time and that i could go see her anytime i want ....

So this morning everything was ok until this afternoon i received an email saying the lady took her on a walk to present her to her new neighbord to a new dog and she aggressed the dog. then after they continue to walk down the hill and they saw a friendly husky or something and she bites him!!!

SO the lady send me back an email to come and pick her up that its not gonna work out and stuff bla bla bla. So i called her and said i cant come and take her its like 2 hours from here and anyways if i come and pick her out i would put her in a shelter or something.

THe lady called a shelter where she lives and she explains the whole thing to the people there said that she was agressive with other dogs and stuff and the lady decided to put her in adoption with a family without a dog and saying she didnt like other dogs...

so thats it im heartbroken cuz i though i found a good family for her and now i just hope that she will have a new family soon...

t.pettet
December 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
OMG you're sad! well, how does the beagle feel? No excuses are going to justify you giving this dog away, hopefully there won't be anymore pets adopted by you in the future.

breeze
December 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
angelinazzz If you cried to keep your teckel why would you not do that for your beagle??? all it would take is training on your part for the aggression !!!!

and if you loved her as much as you say then a 2 hour drive is nothing to pick up a dog that is close to your heart....

Frenchy
December 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Now Lester is 8 months old (the teckel) and i found a new appartement and they barely accept dogs i had to cry to the tenant to let me keep my dog.
He said ok for the little one.

See , someone like ME would have keep on looking for a place that would accept both dogs.

What I was saying earlier , comparing your situation with someone who's dog has died , I did EVERYTHING for my Daisy , getting her 2 operations , managed to get the money , not the same situation as yours , not at all !

14+kitties
December 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Some People Do Not Deserve To Have Pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frenchy
December 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
So i called her and said i cant come and take her its like 2 hours from here and anyways if i come and pick her out i would put her in a shelter or something.

Wow , and you said you love this dog ??? :confused: She is your freakin responsability , you can't even drive 2 hours for her ??? WTF !!! And you would put her in a shelter ? And you want ME to have sympathy for you ? DO you actually read what you post ???

t.pettet
December 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Pets are for life - they're not disposable.

rainbow
December 5th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Either you're a :clown: or you should never adopt another pet in your life. :mad:

angelinazzz
December 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM
u guys dont understand anything...

clm
December 5th, 2007, 06:02 AM
u guys dont understand anything...

Ah, but you're wrong. We understand all too well.
That beagles whole world was you, now his world is gone and he's going to be in turmoil for a while. He's going to be very confused, scared and sad.

I hope he finds the loving FOREVER home that he deserves very soon.

Cindy

Love4himies
December 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM
:cry: poor beagle :cry:

14+kitties
December 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
If you wanted sympathy you came to the wrong site. This site is about LOVING and CARING for your pet their WHOLE LIFE. NOT until you are tired of them.

Winston
December 5th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I'm sorry I wasnt going to jump in on this one but I have too!

If you are heart broken and upset and we do not understand your sadly mistaken.

Go and drive 2 hours pick up this dog you claim to love so much and find her a home. Tell your landlord you tried and that it did not work! Come on take some responsibilty for your dog! This is why so many dogs end up in shelters! You should have dealt witht the agression issues before giving her away?? Didnt you think she would be the same way unless someone takes the time to correct the problem??

Think about how she feels?? she had a home..one day her owner picks her up...drives her 2 hours away...and leaves her? do you think maybe she feels abandoned? I guess so! wouldnt you cry?

Please do the right thing!

You say we dont understand! your so wrong! people on this board would beg, borrow or steal to do anythig for the animals! and that is true dedication!

Cindy

marko
December 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
This thread was posted in the wrong forum, so I'm moving to the on topic forum...and by now it has run it's course and will be closed.

Rehoming pets is an impossibly hard situation and many members would never do it...myself included.

Sometimes though, life IS too hard and the hardest choices do have to be made (IE your child becomes allergic to the family pet) - who are you going to choose? Your parent gets ill and you choose to live with them in their last years (no pets allowed)....

That's just my :2cents: