Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nervous & Excited!!

Ford Girl
December 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
I start volunteering tomorrow at the humane society, and I am feeling excited and nervous at the same time. Tomorrow night is actually the orientation and one on one meeting with the volunteer staff, I can hardly wait!! I am not sure when I will actually start working with the dogs, but I will keep you posted!! :goodvibes:

Wish me luck! :fingerscr

JanM
December 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
No problem - you'll do well! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Lukka'sma
December 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Oh, you're gonna love it. One of the things I always loved about the job is you get to see and play with all the animals in the pre-adopt area too, prior to their vet check and public viewing. Good luck and have fun playing with all the animals

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Cool ! :thumbs up Don't be nervous , everything will be just fine ! Can't wait to hear how it went :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
Good luck! I'm sure it'll all be a breeze for you and just think of the fun...! :D

Ford Girl
December 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Well last night was amazing and I didnt even get to work with the critters!! LOL! It was an orientation session, lots of people, lots of info on the shelter, how they operate, number of intakes per year, euthenasia info and possible situations, and postion descriptions, it was all very interesting.

I have a follow up interview on Monday, they will be calling my references and then I get given the postion and hours. I am so excited to start!! I live about 10 minutes away so it's very convenient for me to put hours in.

We were told to pick 5 jobs out of many, and number them. I chose these ones...

Stress Buster - working with dogs, brushing, grooming like looking at their ears, nails, looking for hot spots and lumps, not professional grooming but one on one interaction, playing, spending time with them, talking to them, teaching the basic commands if needed, leash walking if I want to. :D

Meet your match - spending time with dogs and placing them in to catagories for adoption such as "couch potatoe" or "high energy", reporting personality traits to the adoption staff so people can be matched to the perfect dog. :lovestruck:

Kitty Karma - same as the stress buster job, only with cats and kittens. :cloud9:

The last two I picked you can't do until you've been there at leash 6 months, but these really interest me, one is an assistant dog trainer - which means going to classes the HS provides to the public and adopters, to help train dogs - once you've completed several as an assitant they will provide you with a 2 year course to become a dog trainer. The second one is being an observer or assistant for the SAFER team - they asess the dogs as they come in for agression, resource gaurding, reaction, to determine if they can be placed etc...These two jobs are reserved for people who have been there awhile, when they can asess your interaction with dogs. They require long term commitment. This whole behavior section really interests me.

Did I mention Voo Doo's mom came with me and is also volunteering? She signed up for the stress buster and admissions assitant...and the best one that cracked me up - she signed up to be a BUNNY HUGGER! LOL! Same deal, but with bunnies and rodants and tiny furry creatures. :D

Anyways, thats the news as of today, it's all very exciting. The HS is new and beautiful and very large! :thumbs up The numbers they threw out there were astonishing!!! :eek:

white wrabbit
December 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM
wow that sounds so exciting. can't wait to hear more about it!!

breeze
December 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
sounds to me that you can't wait to get back there!!!!
You will do great in there, just look at all the information you have cause of dazy !! and the stray kittie you saved!!
You Go Girl you are going to be great there and they are lucky to have you in there corner..

I wouldn't mind the bunny huger but the rodents not so sure

JanM
December 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Sounds great and I know you'll do a fantastic job! I have to admit, though, I chuckled when I read your interest in behaviour and training... gee, what could have caused your interest in that????????????

Way to go!

chico2
December 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ford Girl,that sounds great,just remember you cannot take them all home:D
The animals will be so much better off with you there:thumbs up

Frenchy
December 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't mind the bunny huger but the rodents not so sure

Same here :laughing:

I'm so glad you're doing this !!! :thumbs up I'm sure you will have lots of fun and we will be here to hear all about it ! They are very lucky to have you , think of all the fuzzbutts you will make happy ! :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM
They'll be very fortunate to have you, Ford Girl! :highfive:

But do you think you could work up a little more enthusiasm? :frustrated: :p

:laughing: Just joshing, of course! You sound absolutely animated about the whole thing! Sounds like a great place. :thumbs up And it sounds like a great opportunity for both you and the animals! :D

TeriM
December 6th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Congrats, it sounds like you will be a great source for the shelter :thumbs up.

rainbow
December 6th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Ford Girl, you will be a definite asset to the shelter. :highfive:

Love4himies
December 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
You are doing great, rewarding work, fordgirl :thumbs up!

Ford Girl
December 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Sounds great and I know you'll do a fantastic job! I have to admit, though, I chuckled when I read your interest in behaviour and training... gee, what could have caused your interest in that????????????

Way to go!

hahah! I know Jan! The more I learnt along the way the more interested I got. Dazy sure gave us a crash course from day one! Even at 8 weeks old she was so demanding and troublesome - we had to start early with the whole behavioral thing!!

They'll be very fortunate to have you, Ford Girl! :highfive:

But do you think you could work up a little more enthusiasm? :frustrated: :p

:laughing: Just joshing, of course! You sound absolutely animated about the whole thing! Sounds like a great place. :thumbs up And it sounds like a great opportunity for both you and the animals! :D

Yes, I am very excited. Can you tell? Thats how I get when I find something I really enjoy. I have felt this way since Dazy was about 7 month old and peed on our bed - weird I know, and then helping poor Mr. Ally Kat sold me on volunteering and getting more invovled! Hazel, you have your very own pack to study, I am very envious!

Yes, I am a bit of a nut bar. I can't help it.

chico2
December 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
You know,we just LOVE nutbars,especially those who are nuts about animals,I am not of course,I am completely sane:laughing:

breeze
December 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
You know,we just LOVE nutbars,especially those who are nuts about animals,I am not of course,I am completely sane:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
just like the rest of us :rolleyes:

:D

chico2
December 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM
You got me:laughing::laughing:

rainbow
December 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM
How's the volunteer work going? :)

Ford Girl
December 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
How's the volunteer work going? :)

I haven't started working with the critters yet, tonight I have a one on one interview to find out what job and hours I get, then I can start any time after today. I will fill you all in when I actually start!