Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jealous

want4rain
December 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
i was born and spend a great deal of my childhood in MI USA.... now im in NC USA and jealous. all of you guys up there with your snow.... we may see some ice thats so kind as to knock out the power for half the state.... or (isnt there another member here from this area?!?!) get a light half inch dusting that leaves RTP in a total grid lock for several hours...... but no good snow for the kids and dogs to play in. you cant even buy a respectable pair of snow pants down here!!! our snow boots are rubber golashes with extra socks on. we will be in and out of t-shirts until january, february....

*sigh* i miss the snow!!!

-ash

breeze
December 3rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
well we recived 25 cm of snow already and it's still coming down
traffic is terrible took my hubby 2 1/2 hours to get to work.. all schools are closed..
it's not bad but shovelling it can be murder on the back..
I will see if I can get a picture to post for you so you don't feel left out.....

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
I bet if we could, Canada would gladly sell you some cold so it will snow and not rain, he he. With home heating oil at 90 cents a litre, we have to freeze, can't afford to heat the house.

CearaQC
December 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Yikes! Yeah fuel oil is soooo expensive this year. We try our best to only have one tank full delivered every winter and buy a few cords of birch wood to use in the wood stove to supplement heat. I'm mean and turn down the furnace thermostat as often as I can. Car gas was $1.16 a litre the other day. :sad:

So you can have all the snow you want. :evil:

JanM
December 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Well, want4rain, perhaps if you remember some "other" things about snow, you won't miss it so much: - like the dogs coming in covered in snowballs, which they leave all over the house where they melt and I step in them...
like shovelling and shovelling and shovelling and the snow just keeps on filling in where you just shovelled; like freezing your hands and your feet trying to pick up the puppy poop. Does that help?????

To tell the truth, being from Winnipeg, I found yesterday to be very pleasant with these huge snowflakes falling and the white everywhere. The fact that I couldn't get my car out of my driveway and couldn't go anywhere even if I did get it out, didn't even bother me... I shovelled the driveway several times and brushed off all my plants and trees too...

Oh well, snow has its place..

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Yikes! Yeah fuel oil is soooo expensive this year. We try our best to only have one tank full delivered every winter and buy a few cords of birch wood to use in the wood stove to supplement heat. I'm mean and turn down the furnace thermostat as often as I can. Car gas was $1.16 a litre the other day. :sad:

So you can have all the snow you want. :evil:

One tank per year, we would be so lucky to only go through that much. We go through about half tank per month and our house is brand new, very energy efficient. We don't have any wood burning fireplaces to supplement our heat. Wish we did put some in, though. Had we known when we built that oil was going to skyrocket, we would have.

Writing4Fun
December 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Here you go, w4r! I'm sending you a little snow. Enjoy! :laughing:

These pics were taken out my front door a few minutes ago.

SARAH
December 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Pretty much the same view here as well, except I don't have trees as close to the door ...

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Well, want4rain, perhaps if you remember some "other" things about snow, .

1. the cold
2. having to shovel
3. pay for snow removal
4. pay way too much for heating oil
5. cost even more to gas up the car
6. pay more for warm clothes
7. getting to the poop before a certain foster Ben gets to it :frustrated:
8. praying I won't get into an accident because the roads are icy ...

ahem ... should I go on ??? :rolleyes:

SARAH
December 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Finding the poop before it snows under?

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Finding the poop before it snows under?

That too , because you DON'T want to pick it up in the spring :yuck:

want4rain
December 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
i remember as a kid... it was snowing HUGE flakes and it was sooooo humid!! we were outside in boots, shorts (pajamas ok?!?!) gloves hats and scarves and it was so nice out!!!

or the time we were snowed in at my grandmas in Petoskey- we were able to crawl out the 2nd story window to get outside. now THAT was really cold!!!

i was a snow baby as a kid and i so lament that the only snow my daughter has seen was only a few flakes deep. *sigh* or melting before it hits the ground.

-ashley

Kristin7
December 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM
want4rain - I know exactly what you mean!!! I am from MI too and really miss the snowy winters. I live in Indiana now, not even that far south, but the winters are so lame, not much snow, more ice than anything, and also mud. Someone mentioned snow/ice coming in w/ the dogs feet - I think mud is way worse, the other stuff is just water, not dirt! A layer of snow would cover the mud in the backyard nicely, plus, my dog totally loves playing in the white stuff. Also, I love snowshoeing and other winter sports. We still get the miserable cold in IN, but there is no snow to play in!!! :sad: Tonight we're supposed to have our first snow'storm' of the winter of, get this, 1-3 inches, wow, don't know how I will drive to work in all that! For me, i'd rather have either a nice snowy winter (Michigan, for example), or none at all (like when I lived in San Diego). This in-between 'winter' stuff is not for me. I am so jealous too, looking at the snowy photo!

Jim Hall
December 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM
lol well i live in a city in an apartment I do not own a car
It can snow all it wants
oh i work from home too

I know what you mean though kids and deep snow are made for each other